Phone verification for accounts

[this is not an ad I swear lol]

Deca why don’t you use this?

It’s a free 2-steps auth system with phone number used to prevent botting.

Apart from the complexity of adding something like that sending everyone text messages would cost money, especially to do it globally, which would not make sense for a free-to-play game.

I mean that could work but… additional privacy invasion incoming???

it clearly says it’s free, what’s your point

privacy invasion from gathering random phone numbers? can you elaborate?

from what I get, that’s the only information they get about your game account. I don’t think they will even get your e-mail :thinking:

elaborating on why, because this phone verification would make our account more secure allowing for 2FA basically

every platform needs that and rotmg has a lot of players and no account security, just bare minimum

Did you visit the site for RingCaptcha? The one with ‘Pricing’ prominently displayed at the top of the page. So, no it’s not free.

I see (Enterprise plan), but what’s stopping them from buying it, or any 2FA system? giving 0 balls about account security

LOL. Two posts ago you wrote it’s free. So now you’re suggesting they pay for the Enterprise tier, i.e. the premium one?!

It’s a free to play game, so anything like this with a cost per use could end up very expensive. Especially as ROTMG incurs particular costs from logins. The bot problem, and their habit of repeatedly creating accounts when banned, means there are far more accounts created than people who join to play.

It’s possible adding 2FA would deter bots. It’s more likely though that they’ll be able to automate that side of it too. Someone could even use it to register accounts using premium phone numbers, ones that cost money to text and call (the ones crooks call to rack up massive bills when your phone is stolen, before you have chance to deactivate it).

It’s just an idea, you don’t have to be such a keyboard warrior. And I think you’re ignoring the benefits in favor of your random pessimistic estimations or something.

Don’t post ideas if you’re not open to receive critisicm. Skandling is just being realistic, making his point and stating the obvious so that people don’t get dissapointed over the fact that this most likely won’t happen as long as the game is free.
If every account were to be backed by 2FA it would cost DECA money per account, since the sales for gold, packages and whatever probably doesn’t make nearly enough to cover the expense of this SMS solution, which by the way is a very odd way to go about 2FA as it can be done through a client/app of some sorts instead.

Besides; Who cares about 2FA? Just another annoying bump in the road when you have to login. If you don’t want your account to end up wiped by some stranger then maybe stop using shady shit like cheat clients, proxies and whatever exist for this game now. Made my account 10 years ago, never been hacked anyway.

You also need to keep in mind that DECA Games is located in Germany, Europe meaning they have to deal with GDPR (If you don’t know what this is, Google is your friend) which is a data privacy law that everyone within Europe has to obey when they gather personal data of any kind. This idea would incorporate many individuals’ phone numbers along with other technical details that might be used for the 2FA.

In summary; Security is always a good thing, sometimes you have to consider if you need more security than you already have but from a business point of view: This proposal is not really ideal, and it isn’t from a consumer/player’s point of view either.

No. Not everyone has a phone. Especially for younger people who are playing free games.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.