Politics ( ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡°) 2, Electric Boogaloo

Homophobia is the irrational fear of homosexuality, I do not have it, rather, I merely disagree with you on the purpose of sex and terms of sexual morality. A homophobe would consider homosexual people as less than them, would refuse to be in the same room for them, or would refuse to have anything to do with them. I do not believe that sinning makes anyone less valuable as a human, sin is something everyone does daily and all of us are imperfect. Furthermore, there are multiple gay people on these forums that I act comfortably around.

@Xaklor, sorry for pinging you, but when is the last time I treated you differently from other forumers or expressed/showed discomfort, fear, or distaste towards you regarding you being a lesbian, or have I treated you as I would treat any other human being?

As I said, a moderate homophobe. If you treat them equally you have no reason to accuse them of sinning in the first place or abiding by arbitrary religion rules you don’t even think make sense in the religion you participate in.

If you categorize them as “sinners” for simply existing even though you categorize heterosexual couples as “not sinners” you’re a homophobe. Doesn’t matter that you’re “chill” and don’t point fingers demanding punishments and think you’re such a white knight for that.

This is the same discussion I had in primary school when one kid just didn’t grasp the concept of how the thought of “I’m not homophobic I even have gay friends” is inherently homophobic. Same applies to racism and any other kind of discrimination.

You don’t need to ping “look at my gay friends” because I’m talking about what you said in your reply to this post alone. I’m saying your comments are homophobic and not accusing you of acting like that somewhere else in this forum, or out of it.

I was born in a catholic family and I’ve been catholic myself before and I didn’t ever support LGBTQI discrimination, or turn a blind eye for fellow believers who discriminate, nor did any of my family members.

Having this said, I don’t have any respect for you.

Oh look now we are talking about gay people

I mean, the factual part is that the bible says its a sin and shit, but I believe noone here blindly follows the bible soooo

I’m not staying here to discuss that much though. I simply didn’t like reading that discriminative shit written so casually in the middle of the politics discussion like it’s acceptable somehow.

that is homophobia. it’s weaker than the extreme stuff you see getting popularized for being so gut-wrenchingly terrible, but it’s still homophobia. it’s actually a very common homophobic stance. it’s leagues better than outright hostility, but it’s still homophobia. believing there is any sort of moral difference between heterosexual and homosexual relationships and how people feel love for one another in this way is the very foundation of homophobia. extremists sprinkle on a ton of extra unwarranted hatred on top, but it all essentially boils down to this one foundational belief.

you have not, and I appreciate that. again though, that’s not really the problem. it’s not on the personal level of “I hate you, you hate me” type of discrimination, it’s that the overall system anchors and supports the extremists by giving them “legitimate” excuses for blatant discrimination, however unintentional that support may or may not have been.

Are you talking about the government, religion, or something else?

In my understanding Xaklor meant every system, but in this case the system in question was the excuse “the bible says gay is bad”

in this case, I mean religion since that’s the train of thought my other posts have been working from. specifically we’ve been looking at christian religions, but there are others contributing to sustaining homophobia.

I do not feel qualified to talk about the effect government has on the issue, despite rambling on a thread named “politics” ironically.

Thanks for the quick and clear response. I’m just kinda in a nit-picking mood.

I dont feel qualified either and I cant speak about all governments of the world even though this applies to every country in the world. But around the world many countries governments actively pursue measures to oppress LGBT of course we all know this and the majority of their influence and self justification for it comes from their religions

governments in many places around use religion as a tool of mass oppression, this has been going on likely since the onset of religion, persecution of minorities and religion seem to be always be standing next to each other

This is most clearly seen in Asia and Africa but still seen in every other continent

It is not inherently a tool of oppression but it used like one and has been used that way for a very long time

This may sound a bit selfish, but here’s my two cents about the recent conversation regarding LGBT people and the way they are being treated. Please feel free to correct any misunderstandings I may have regarding this conversation.

A) I believe that all people should be treated with dignity and respect, unless they do something that warrants losing that respect (For example, if they start flying Nazi and CSA flags, I hope you understand why I don’t like them).

B) If X is a subset of Y, and all elements of Y have property Z, then all elements of X must have property Z.

C) If I believe that any individual human deserves respect barring actions that warrant losing that respect, then it logically follows that I believe that LGBT people deserve the same.

D) One thing I never understood about the Christian radicals is their propensity to do things that have literally zero impact. For example, what does telling a lgbt guy that “YOURE GOING TO HELL” do for either of you? the guy sure as hell isn’t going to change his opinion, so why bother?

E) Also, I’m going to slide in abortion into this as well, because it’s related to D. Having access to legal and safe abortion saves lives without a doubt- as I believe Mynamerr said in the previous politics thread, “making abortion illegal doesn’t really stop people from aborting if they want to- it just makes it a lot more dangerous.” (Paraphrased) Why risk lives?

F) Response to @BaadGuy

To clear up any misunderstandings, I interpreted “Christians you’re tossing crap at” as the radical Christians who want gay marriage to be abolished and gay rights to be gone.

I believe this to be misguided, because it doesn’t encourage Nameness to switch to your side of the debate and antagonizes him, making him/her more likely resist your side of the debate. Although branding LGBT people as “sinners” is stupid, I hold the personal belief that not doing anything to LGBT people is far better than, well, advocating for the active repression of gay rights. It’s kind of like calling one of the civilians that supported Stalin as no better than one of the officers who directly executes Stalin’s commands and shoots people in political camps.

Also, please don’t take this as a “I disagree with everything you said”.

I agree with the above.

G) Final remarks
-LGBT people deserve to be treated like any other person that hasn’t done anything wrong
-I really don’t understand a lot of Christian people’s behavior

This seems to be controversial, but I don’t think US military bases should be named after people who actively sought to do as much damage as possible to the US military.

Also, racism is bad. I don’t think I need to provide more clarification past that point.

Controversial? Idk though.

can you give me some examples?

I assume he is talking about the forts named after confederate generals

I understand your point, but I disagree. I’m simply stating the hard truth and even though I try to be respectful because I’m not in a private conversation with that person directly and other people are reading the thread and our opinions, I don’t have the obligation to be drawn towards helping, convincing and delicately explaining everything to said person.

He’s probably an adult and he gets what I’m trying to say without me having to open a Paint Tool board and drawing the concept of discrimination. Even though I feel that’s needed sometimes.

That of course varies depending on what person I’m talking to, about what matter and, personally, I think that’d be pointless with him, at this moment, about this matter.

I don’t categorize anyone as “not sinners”

If we are defining homophobia as believing it to be wrong, then sure, I am a homophobe, because I do.

I don’t know why people say this actually…
The general concept of Christianity is if you aren’t Christian, you are held responsible for your sins and going to hell (which is why many Christians seem to force Christianity down your throat, because they don’t want that to happen, I try to bring it up whenever I can, but only when it makes sense in context) and that if you are Christian, accept Christ’s forgiveness and repent of your sins, your sins, past present and future, are forgiven, and so you got to Heaven.

Basically telling someone they are going to hell BECAUSE they are gay, isn’t right. It’s more of because they are human and not Christian (which is definitely a lot more offensive, Christianity is a very offensive religion, so trying not to offend people isn’t possible).

Why do I feel I need to say all this?

I guess I’m just trying to announce my beliefs of sin and the direness of the human condition as a warning, I don’t expect this go very smoothly though, as people already have problems with me condemning homosexuality as a sin, they’re definitely gonna have a problem with me condemning everyone who isn’t Christian as in danger of the fires of hell.

I was referring to a more practical component. Yelling at a guy that he’s going to hell will make him less likely to listen to you, and thus, if you’re trying to “save him from hell”, it’s entirely counterproductive.

Congratulations I guess.

This is correct. With the protests happening around the country right now, a lot of Confederate statues are being torn down, and the military is looking to rename many bases that are named after CSA generals.