Politics ( ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡°)

Okayyy?

I’ll have to disagree with you there, because I don’t see Normal people in the U.S talking about what skin color you are and how oppressed/oppressive you are. The only ones that base their lives around race are racists and weirdos, like the far left and right. The reason why it looks like everyone is some kooky crazy is since the silent majority doesn’t care, speak, or is afraid of speaking.

I for one can care less about your skin color, since it literally doesn’t effect anything you say or do. Your actions and words speak louder than whatever physical characteristic you may have to me, because my brain is at least partially not mush.

Besides, stuff like the abolition of slavery, the civil rights movement, etc, had to be about race since the core problems and actual racist society made it about race.

If you don’t like the idea of race, then why do you keep giving money and audience ratings to media that talk about race all the damn time? why do you keep voting for politicians who talk about race all the damn time?

Racism isn’t talking about oppression all day, racism is when you base your judgment of people on race. Nowadays everyone is whining about how they’re a poor oppressed victim, it’s not exclusively a race thing.

You know, I would love for that to be the case. I love it when I’m wrong and things are actually better than I thought.

I just have this very negative impression of the US as a country where everyone’s personal sense of identity is dictated by their race.

Well I don’t, since I can’t even vote yet :< (VERY CLOSE TO BEING ABLE TO THO). As for why people vote or like media outlets that constantly talk about race, I don’t know honestly. Maybe its because they have some form of tribalistic mentality, or not, either way I don’t condone that type of behavior because its generally degenerative and doesn’t lead to good results.

I mean, if you live in America then it would be sorta obvious that isn’t the case. but then again, we do have a shit ton of protests happening/happened in the past couple years that were strictly about race or sex (for good or bad reasons) so yeah…

Depends where in America.

In california its mostly not about race, but then again california is more liberal/accepting of other people.

Let me guess, you live in California. :joy:

But some places in California are a little bit fucky in the terms of caring about race, at least when there’s protests.

Besides, California does have some questionable laws that are related to race/sex anyway.

Lets something straight.

Protests =/= everyday life, unless those protests are happening every day.

And the race laws generally get resisted, such as when people tried to repeal prop 209 back in 2014.

Edit: questionable phrasing from me.

That’s why I said atleast when there’s protests >:((((

also you forgot the word get in your sentence.

true.

Edit: is alright :>

Racism has a huge impact on society, at least in the US. Income inequality is definitely a real thing (as shown in this visual from the US Census Bureau), as are race-related hate crimes, the single greatest motivation for hate crimes committed in the country (according to this page from the US Department of Justice). And there are definitely differences in the severity of these issues depending on where you look in the country.

The visual is confusing (at least to me), and I don’t understand why they included all races since it doesn’t make much sense.

the other link is good tho.

As to why it seems that prejudice based crimes in general have risen, I do think it’s because of the radicalization of people through social media, which obviously Is bad. I do hope it doesn’t rise the closer we get to the election phase, but it’s probably gonna.

They included all races to show what the average is among them, just so the viewer can clearly see who tends to more than average, and who falls behind.

I do think that radicalization has a huge impact, and social media isn’t helping things. While radicalization was certainly possible in times before the internet existed, it has never been easier for one person with an idea to spread it to a bunch of other people at once. As good as this is for sharing scientific discoveries, it also spreads a lot of hate, which the world could use less of.

Bump cuz why not,

<Is everything political?>

You can interpret everything to be political, just like how you can interpret everything to be sexual: in both cases, doing so reveals way more about yourself than about whatever you’re discussing.

The question itself was more of a joke, but was something that came to mind from something I watched a while ago.

At least in American media, I really don’t like the recent spillage of political themes in general that have wormed their way into things that shouldn’t have political themes. Whether it’s video games, comedy, shows, etc. Now that’s not to say they can’t have political themes, I’m just saying they have been saturated with them recently. And I don’t think this is healthy as a majority of media is escapism, to forget about your problems or someone else’s problems for a little while.

When you bring politics into the mix, you obviously shatter that moment of escapism and remind people of their shitty lives. Which doesn’t make people that happy unsurprisingly. And eventually you’ll drive off most normal people and be left with the crazed radicals who are the only ones who care about whatever garbage you’re saying, or you’ll radicalize people into believing this is the norm (which isn’t good imo).

I for one really like talking about politics because it’s a fun topic, mainly in the sense that it’s more of an enlightening thing really. But I do know the boundaries in which it should stay in, which is in media specifically about politics, not some show for 5 year olds or a normal comedy. And the people who do believe that everything has some sort of political meaning or intent in my honest opinion are truly deranged, and should never be allowed in any seat of power, cuz I rather not get noosed for making a pepe meme :<

That’s just my take on it.

It’s not that political themes don’t belong there, it’s that they have to be done well; and most of the time, well, they aren’t.

I don’t think media is necessarily more political now than ever, just that it’s the most trendy marketing strategy right now in the US to insert current politics in media.

Yuppers

Really annoying when they do it though. Cuz I don’t wanna hear some CEO say how [Diverse] and [inclusive] their product is and proceed to ass pat me like I’m brain dead. besides, just because you put in politics (in this context progressive politics is the new seasonal fad) doesn’t mean your product will be good anyway lol.

Big companies have been doing this for ages: figure out what the majority considers to be good and then try to make it part of your brand.

After decades of activists doing all the dirty work fighting for equal rights, it’s finally become mainstream enough to be considered something you want your multi-billion dollar brand to be publicly associated with.

Not much else to it.

Capitalism at it’s finest ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Is this really important to you guy’s?

Not any more than any other thread on here. Why?

not really, I just like talking about it lol.

(Congrats on regular btw)