Poll: Is english your mother language?

I saw this other thread but didn’t want to build a poll after 90 other replies. Plus they are a little different.

So, is it?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I’m interested in knowing the percentage of forumers that didn’t learn english as their first language. When choosing no, please tell me which one was it then, I’d like to know.

My first language was portuguese. Learned english by myself through the years and now I’m starting to scratch a little bit of italian.

Also, to those that answered no, do you have any difficulty understanding what other people write when it’s not in standard english form, with lots of abbreaviations and slangs? I know I do.

List of entertaining threads
[Forum Game] Paste whatever's on your clipboard!

Just an average American here. Everyone who votes “Yes” should post what country they are from if they don’t feel it’s too personal. Just a thought.

Well I was born in the U.S. but my parents always spoke in chinese as a kid

Mother language is german.

My english is quite good I guess.

America, the land of Cheeeseburgers and Freeeench Fries.

i techiqually put no, but i actually learned mandarin and English basically the same time. Just legally i learned english as a second language.

Although, i was very not proficient at it when i was in kindergarden and stuff (from what i hear)[quote=“Etahn, post:2, topic:5679”]
Everyone who votes “Yes” should post what country they are from if they don’t feel it’s too personal.
[/quote]

Im from Canada.

Not trying to be rude, unless you so happen to be of Asian Pacific decent, but being that your from Canada wouldn’t it have been more beneficial for you to pick up French, English and Sign language apposed to Mandarin? is Mandarin even used in Canada? im pretty sheltered here in little old New Zealand

Did you learn both from your parents? I’m assuming so since you learned them both at about the same time. If you learned both of them growing up then what makes English legally your 2nd language? Just curious.

well my parents are chinese so… they want me to be able to speak to relatives also carrying the tradition. Im only 2nd generation. also its the number 1 spoken language in the world. [quote=“Momoxoxo, post:7, topic:5679”]
Sign language
[/quote]

why sign language? [quote=“Etahn, post:8, topic:5679”]
Did you learn both from your parents?
[/quote]

my parents werent very fluent in english, so i mainly went to things like day cares, neighbours, idk what else, i only see things from pics and stories. [quote=“Etahn, post:8, topic:5679”]
you learned both of them growing up then what makes English legally your 2nd language?
[/quote]
probably so i could say i was bad at english and get the ESL (english as second language), it allows you to get extra help in school (which ill tell you does more harm than good). Also, if i was to put a skill level of my language skills are lets say the age of 4, my mandarin lvl would be higher than that of English.

Born in Germany, Speak fluent English.

(he he, edit!)

Because my country New Zealand like Canada are both Tri-Lingual countries meaning we have 3 nationally recognized languages, Canada: English, French, Sign Language. New Zealand: English, Maori, Sign Language.

Just thought you would go with the consensus xD

Edit: I respect tradition though good on you :slight_smile:

That’s really complicated…

When you are born and brought up around it, it becomes second nature xD

QQ how do you actually decide to pick a flag for something?

uhhhhh… we only have two official languages.

Mfw I thought Canadian was a language…

Well there are two recognized flags for my country the one I linked in my thread about flags is the main one we use, it symbolizes our unity and moving forward as “One” country as we are apart of the British monarchy we show the Union Jack. The natives Maoris still have there flag recognized nationally and we respect that as they are our indigenous people of New Zealand, as for sign language well the people that come under this category are either Maori or “KIWI” New Zealand white heritage so therefore represent either of the flags, pretty simple :slight_smile:.

If you get bored google: New Zealand “Treaty of Waitangi” have fun with that mind explosion

So Sign language isn’t nationally recognized on the official Canadian language roster?

@Scorchmist
In several of Canada’s provinces (Manitoba in 1988, Alberta in 1990, Ontario in 1993), ASL is an officially recognised minority language with legally embedded rights.

Ontario recognised ASL and LSQ as a language in which the Deaf can be taught when it altered its Education Act in 1993. Ontario formally recognised ASL in 2007 attributing to it the rights of fellow minority languages.

Question Period in the House of Commons of Canada is interpreted in both Quebec Sign Language and American Sign Language.

So what does it mean when a country gets a new flag?

Probably just for an occasion?

We had a big political battle over here not to long ago as our equivalent of “TRUMP” tried to change the national flag and he got nowhere near close lol, though the indigenous Maori flag would have stayed the same.

Edit: if change was called for