Possible idea to kill bots / spammers

Bots:

I don’t know if this has been suggested before, but you know those Captcha things appear when you buy things online?

It’s where you tick a little box saying that you are not a robot, and you get shown some images.

At the sign up screen, if we placed captcha’s there, automatic dupers would grind to a halt.

You could also do every 2 weeks, upon logging in you must fill out a captcha in order to prove you are not a bot.

Those that are bots, would be cleared of the game as they wouldn’t be able to pass the test - meaning bots in realm would struggle to survive!

Spammers:

Again, don’t know if anybody already made this idea, but what about a cool down for chatting?

For example, you can make only 10 posts in 30 seconds to prevent spammers.

It’s similar to live streams on youtube where it says your posting too much - wait like 20 seconds or something.

Although this may effect some form of gameplay - you could only make it so that its within the nexus, so that the chat is a little cleaner to see.

It may also be placed in realms to stop shock spammers (I.e sudden massive wall of text of spam, blocking your view and possibly putting risk to your character while playing in a place like god lands)

If you could merge both of these into one update somehow, it would pretty much instakill all bots:

• Dupers
  • Sales bots

E.c.t

I’m sure that some people would find a flaw in this since they’re probably Xaklor Spawn.

I think it’s a chill idea, not much else to say.

Critic of the year 420 Blaze It

Then again captcha’s do get updated and they add a new thing to it like every few months or so.

Like how they added numbers as well as letters.

And also, It seems not many bots get around captcha’s , or by what it seems.
Plus, its only a game for like 12-16 year olds, and the majority of botters won’t make the effort to make every individual bot go past the captcha - It would take literally days.

I have nothing against this idea, I think Captchas are great.

It’s pretty good, post it on Reddit maybe?

Maybe latter - I’ll polish the idea first!

Thanks for the opinion!

I wouldn’t go as far as Xaklor Spawn, but isn’t there a Captcha on the sign up page, but yet people go and fill those out each and every day.

This looks interesting:
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/comingsoon/invisible.html

I don’t think this particular execution of using captcha’s will stop bots, like, at all. I don’t know if any of you have tried to make an account recently (for a mule or to get some T0 item you forgot to keep or something) but there’s already a captcha you have to pass in order to verify your account. it’s obviously not doing much. as for the random periodical captcha that doesn’t work very much either because of where you’re putting them. the problem with the current captcha and adding new ones on signing in is this:

there’s still a person operating the bot at those times.

all of those precautionary measures mean nothing if they’re all up front at the point where a human is still making it. it doesn’t slow bots down at all if they just need a person to start it and get in into the game, because obviously a human has to turn it on the in the first place. in order to stop bots with captcha’s you would have to put them randomly in between changing areas or randomly popping up on your screen or something, the former is useless against nexus bots and the latter is incredibly dangerous to a game like this.

if stopping bots was this easy it would have been done years ago

There is this. As @Xaklor says, there is a person operating it, and also, the computer “remembers” when you are not a bot.

What if you’re trying to merch?

What if they decide to plop in 15 bots and spam twice every 30 seconds in different times?

And recapta is really good idea.

Just putting this out here
Continuing the discussion from About the Ideas category:

But yes this is a good idea that had floated around the forums and reddit for sometime, although I’m not sure why this isn’t actually used.

Good idea I agree.

Horrible idea, bots usually don’t even have a visual client, and interface using packets with the server.

Discord convo 10 mins ago, was proud when you used shift for the first half :^)

Here’s how I see the issue.

Personally I don’t mind the spambots in the Nexus who just spontaneously shout things out. At least in my server, I have chat level at 3 and I don’t see many. On the off chance there is a Nexus crier, I ignore it and the Nexus becomes peaceful again.

People who PM you on the other hand, I find very irritating. It’s the combination of how blue text stands out, and how it messes with your other PMS that gets me. For the Nexus bots, the spam kinda meshes in with all the other chatter going on, unless it’s fast spam (which a quick /ignore fixes).

But if there was a way to fix PM bots, I’d be happy already.

Because no matter how hard we try, people are going to find a way to make spam bots. I’m not cultured, but I’d like to see a single MMO that has eliminated spambots completely without heavily affecting the user experience.

Not sure how to react to this but I think there might be a way to evade this or figure a way out but I like that someone is trying to KILL THOSE !@#$%^ BOTS!
:grin:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.