Problems with the current meta, and potential solutions

Ever since I started seriously running endgame dungeons in Discords such as Pub Halls, I haven’t been able to shake the feeling that the current endgame meta excludes many otherwise interesting UT items, and dictates a playstyle that is much more boring than the dungeons and bossfights in question have the potential to be.

This is not a new revelation, but the best way to farm endgame content is with a survivability build. In a large group, your individual damage will barely affect the overall time it takes to finish the boss, and as long as you know which phases are safe to got your soulbound damage in, all you need to worry about is dodging and staying with the group.

The result of this is any DPS-oriented gear becoming obsolete outside of solo farming in a realm, and small O3s (excluding things like speedrunning), as well as the perceived redundancy of 95% of all UT rings in favor of a UBHP/Deca. Even the pyra, a ring almost entirely revolving around survivability.

There are a number of things could help to dampen this issue, and the ones I will mention have almost certainly been considered by DECA already. Still, I believe that something needs to be done to resolve this, or to lessen the issue at the very least, and encourage the utilization of more interesting, diverse builds. Please post any other suggestions, as I’m sure there are many creative and effective ways to achieve this.

Reverting Soulbound
The first and most obvious solution would be steepening/flattening the soulbound curve similar to what it was pre-DECA. Soulbound is, in my eyes, the most effective way to encourage diverse builds. Not only will it give players a reason to bring DPS enhancing gear, but will, in turn, speed up bosses and increase the focus on dodging and effectively using abilities, as well as building a unique and personalized character loadout that balances preferred stats, bringing more aspects of skill into endgame content. Regarding the formula itself, it should be a soulbound equation that rewards good playing, and acts more like a curve than a threshold of damage that needs to be reached in order to get a shot at loot.

Further decreasing dungeon cap
The dungeon cap pretty much only affects organized, planned and led runs. I fully supported DECA’s decision to lower the dungeon cap, and would be perfectly happy if it were reduced by a further 5 or 10 players. A lower player count means less party buffs, meaning more focus on your own play and skill. Less group DPS, meaning more focus on individual DPS. Less HP scaling, meaning more boss health compared to the amount of people in the dungeon (further incentivizing damage). Obviously DECA have already considered the effects of lowering the cap, and have decided to keep it where it is, but I see no harm in lowering it a little more.

Top damage reward
An idea that I had around the release of exaltations is some sort of dedicated reward for the top damage of an endgame boss. My original idea was for the top-damage player to get a new type of bag drop, (black bag? opposite of white bag, black bag is skill and white is luck) and for it to contain some sort of bonus loot, possibly something specific to the dungeon, or double the drop chance of rare items, or the dungeon’s quest chest. Another idea is for top damage to receive 2 dungeon completes towards exaltations.
On paper, this seems like a bad idea as the people who were going for survivable builds before will not suddenly try to go for top dmg, but the idea is that more people will do public halls/shatters/nests/caverns to try and get that bonus bag. Also, I get the feeling that DECA is trying to get more people into the Realm anyway (so far by reworking everything).

UBHP/Deca nerf (unlikely)
A 20hp nerf to UBHP and Deca would probably not sit well with the community, especially seeing as so many people use them, but it would encourage some people to consider other options. This one really just stems from the fact that there are so many people that don’t even consider most if not all UT rings when making a loadout, which often goes for T13 armors too.

I’m sure other people have much better ideas, and I’m sure DECA knows about these issues already as they are far from recent. Still, there needs to be more discussion around them and potential solutions, as it is holding back an entire area of the game. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Guild Discord is ok 4 me (at least for now), but not large-group counterpart.

If I can recall correctly, O3 raiders (let’s say Heavy Armor class) slaps New Life BPlate and UBHP/Deca. Just that gives above 1k HP. Even without BPlate, many still opt for UBHP/Decas.

I’m confused about the DPS-oriented gear part.

But I do agree that nearly all of the playerbase wears HP rings.

Confused. Need to clarify a bit further.

This suggestion, to me is a double edge sword. It does encourage solo gameplay, skill, less HP scaling and so on.

However, we have to consider the Discord and their dependent raiders. If we reduce the dungeon cap to 55 or even 60, then the “Who gets the seats 1st” gets steeper. Basically, if there are 75 players waiting for LH we will see more players getting agitated when they can’t make it.

DPS build intensifies.

Well, rebalancing tiered ring is long overdue. Some even ranked UBHP/Deca ring A tier and rest of the UB rings in D tier. It’s so disgusting to the extreme.

You can vote here:
Just a whole lotta polls - Off-topic / Forum Games - Forum | RealmEye.com

And additional discussion:
Tiered Rings Rebalance - Game Discussion - Forum | RealmEye.com

I like the dungeon cap idea. I never want to be in a 60 player dungeon. It’s always more fun in smaller groups.

The rest of it sounds like it would come with negative consequences. Raising soulbound threshold, for example, would only make it harder for lesser characters to compete. Top damage rewards just encourage raw dps builds, and there are no sacrifices to speak of when you’re running with that many players. What’s the point in bringing your huntress if you know you don’t stand a chance at certain loot because of it? The ring change seems minor, but those rings are some of the most important items in Realm’s economy.

This seems more like a problem with the people you choose to play with.

I actually disagree with this post fully. People always use dps gear, to the point where it would be on the complete other end of what you are posting.

DPS builds are the meta. Anything Vet run / strict discord / private? wants DPS items. You can say that DPS items are the limiter, and are discords being pretentious to get better players/HP Saale, but they still work to do so.

Dodging and using abilities aren’t already important during the game?
Sure Mseal/fungal tome complicates things but dodging is still needed for endgame dungeons
DPS gear (along with HP Scaling/skill) already speeds up O3s
Removing SB would make it easier to be a ‘meta’ build.

HP Scaling at 65 is pretty bad already. Other than O3s (and some of the easier endgames) no discord will be at 65 players, for example Pubhalls is locked to 45 players max.

Only one player is gonna get them and it’ll suck for the entirety of people who can’t do very small groups, discourages use of priest and other support classes, and make stuff extremely competitive / toxic as a result.

no. just no. discords, my only way to acces dungeons do not need to be nerfed further. unlike what seems a lot of people here, i do not have tens of hours to grind, and so discords are my only way to play realm. and especially with the new, disgusting vital combat update endgame dungeons are way harder than they should be. further decreasing the dungeon cap would make runs so much harder, therefore making endgame content basically impossible for new players. hp rings shouldn’t be nerfed. they are some of the only rings most people wear, due to them being the best in surivability. i actually think that the damage/number of projectiles in endgame dungeons have to be nerfed, as it is difficult-almost impossible to dodge sometimes if you dont have years of experience doing it. besides, this meta is good. I personally like it, giving me a reason to buy keys (for discords) for dungeons that i could never do before. as well as having a person who is incredibly knowledgeable in said extremely difficult dungeon help us complete it

This is a huge red flag. It implies that something is deeply wrong with this game, or you’re not putting in the effort.

sorry, i mys-typed, i meant endgame dungeons

I guess what I am trying to say is that to the average joe/newer player getting into endgame farming, the logical conclusion is to only focus on survivability and the game itself should encourage otherwise. Dps gear does speed up the endgame for more experienced players, but that mid-range average player has no reason to use it.
Also, the top damage idea propably would suck. It was more of an afterthought than anything.

yea. top damage would only benefit veteran players/hackers that consistently hit top damage and would just be a drag to the rest of the community. a different idea i have is to “bring bak” accuraccy. if you hit the most shots, you get a black bag, with that dungeons quest chest.

also, by discords i mean the smaller discords like malice, crown hunters, passage of life and sbc. i despise discords like pub halls/shatters/divinity that use hackers to their advantage.

well, in order to make dps builds more viable especially for o3, there would have to be a serious adjustment to the fight itself. Imagine having roughly 700-850 hp when trying to do celestial? you’d almost always get popped unless you were super experienced. They would either have to make the fight easier or adjust hp scaling again so there isn’t as much dangerous time in the fight.

no it doesn’t. Non event discord runs are all capped at lower than 65 (and your proposed 60 or 55 for that matter) because of the horrendous hp scaling

no. 55 is hardly going to put a dent in those considering you need 2 warriors and Paladins at most if they’re incompetent to permabuff, 1 is sufficient if they’re paying attention

Um. Most people do use UT rings over deca/ubhp if they’re not rushing or doing o3

Your wording is kind of vague, but I think that’s just how everyone has millions of t14s already

From what I’ve seen of Malice’s staff I’d not say it’s 100% tos friendly lol

DPS builds ARE meta though. Once you get experienced, you are more comfortable bringing DPS gear and making the entire dungeon as a whole go faster thus getting more loot.

^
Dps builds make dungeons faster which means safer for everyone, and you can see that through like pub halls voids vs null voids. Everyone wears dps gear.

Well that’s kinda the point; learn how to do dungeons and actually survive before doing damage
Its pretty logical and also kinda good progression; get good enough to increase group dps (somewhat)
of course one person won’t change DPS that much in a group, because they are in a group
And a group of experienced players, able to wear dps rings, will do better than a group of less experienced players with hp gear

There is a reason why they removed accuracy; it punishes players for actually playing. Better to fire and have chance to hit then not fire at all to preserve accuracy.

That depends on your fire rate. If you’ve got max dex and Tshot, go for it. If you’re using Dbow, that’s not a good move.

yea, if youre unlucky you get the bad ones, but a lot of them are good

no, by acccuraccy i mean number of shots hit on the boss, not the percent of shots hit on the boss