PSA: Massive data breach across ALL websites

I don’t really have anything special or important to contribute here, but be sure to read this post on r/rotmg (if the link doesn’t work just go to r/rotmg and look at the sticky, it’s a huge deal)

basically the short of it is, hundreds of millions of password and email combinations across all websites on the internet were leaked the other day, and there’s likely (read: definitely) a lot more to come in the near future. it has also been confirmed that many accounts specifically for RotMG and Steam are among the bunch. the OP on the reddit post and Israphial (r/rotmg mod) say to use https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords to verify if one of your passwords has appeared in this breach or any other.

regardless of whether or not your password appears on haveibeenpwned, it would probably be a good idea to change all your passwords immediately just to be safe. the biggest reason for this that there are more “collections” of passwords that haven’t been released yet, but probably will be soon and haveibeenpwned can’t magically update its database instantly.

again, I don’t have any special insider information and can’t answer any questions that aren’t don’t already have answers on the reddit post. I’m just trying to spread information to those who don’t check r/rotmg every so often. I didn’t see anyone else sharing this post here, so I decided to myself. if a mod could pin this or move it to a high-visibility location somehow that would be great.

Just making sure… You’re sure that link you provided is safe right?

the haveibeenpwned link?

it should be, it doesn’t ask for credentials that go with the password entered, and can’t identify what it goes to. they have a privacy page you could take a look at if you’re concerned. if you don’t trust my link specifically you can use the one in the r/rotmg post

Thanks for the memo, I havent changed my passwords in a while now. Should probably get on it

That website (haveibeenpwned) has been linked by a number of credible sites that have reported the hacking story. As such, it is probably safe.

Dude thanks you just saved my account.

Thanks for the warning.

I got pwned :C

Oh crap, they know all my passwords are “Password123”! D:

joking of course, I checked my real passwords and they look ok, thanks for the notice though

ha, they didn’t catch my password, 1234567890

Multiple of my emails are pwnd but thats pretty normal. No passwords.

Not changing anything cuz lazy.

Onestly no on wil ever now a supar kool and hard to krak passwordt like min wich is definitly not KoolSPaceKadet123 winc winc

Wow… that’s my password two

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.