PT: Challenger Mode

If you didn’t want to read textbook’s page here’s a sentence

I’ve been playing since I got home, I’m enjoying realm this is sorta odd.

opposing textbook I vote no skins.

Hey I can use this as a form of training if I need it.

Summery #2

My biggest hope would be to max pets at lvl 50 not 70. We do not need pets at all with the current dungeons on challenger.

Some things I haven’t seen mentioned, that I feel might warrant change:

• Allow for HP/MP pots to be dropped, so as to encourage the spirit of cooperation.
  • Remove the ability to purchase HP/MP pots for gold, as it reeks of being P2W, and those pots are more useful than ever, with pets as they are.
  • Instead of bosses dropping food, how about reinstating feedpower for white bag items, with upped drop rates to pave the difference in chance.

I agree with the guy above’s suggestion that pets should be limited to lvl 50, so that they’re more a tool for recovery, than for survival, as well as being less of a grind for something that’ll be lost at season’s end.

I think bosses dropping food is fine. If anything, it gives more purpose to those low-feed food items (since it costs no fame to feed), and it’s kind of cute to gather fries and soda to feed a pet from bosses. It also takes attention away from the fact that feed power of UTs is all over the place.
Additionally, raising white bag drop rates solely for feed purposes means that there’s less of a grind to get useful UTs, and the rates as they are currently seem fine in regards to that (I haven’t gotten a white bag drop yet, but anecdotally they’re fine or even seen as very slightly too high).

I agree with basically everything else you brought up. I think pets capping at 70 could be done for future seasons, but it really depends on what food is given. For this season, 70 is not very reasonable over a 4 day span, given the pet food that is available. Perhaps if they want to do a future season that caps at 70, they can put more powerful food into the drop tables.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier on my own feedback, that I remembered just now, was the removal of STs. I think that the STs should drop. You might not be able to get the full set, depending on what dungeons are available, but STs are practically UTs in all but name and the fact that if you collect more of a set you get bonus stats and stuff. One glaring example is the Toga Picta; it can serve as a DPS robe, even on its own, and it’s not dropping from UDLs this season.
Having STs drop can widen the available selection of gear, adding more depth to creating builds which in turn makes the game more fun. It’d also be a nice surprise for people to have drop, plus something more to potentially grind for.
However, I’d want them to be at the current white bag rates in this season, if not even higher rates, so that they’re reasonably obtainable.
If the reason they’re not here is because of the theme of the season, and they’ll drop in future seasons, then that is understandable.

My only concern with this mode is the addition of pets, but then again they are somewhat necessary if u want a reason to push on after your character is maxed. I’d actually suggest lowering the cap even further as 70 still feels too strong, like to 50, meaning you can merge your pet into a rare one and unlock its second ability, but it just doesn’t get any stronger than the maxed level for an uncommon. If that feels too easy to reach with pet food, tweak the FP values of food to have a more linear progression, you’ve shown you have the capability of doing it with rendering equipment to be 0 fp.

Another more extreme suggestion is to remove heal and mheal from the pool of possible pet abilities. Either that, or they are tweaked so that they still help you but not carry you.

Cuz at the end of the day, we all have to remember that pets have severely diminished the importance of teamwork and coorperation. Having pets that can reach ML 70 is going to make challenger mode feel a lot like normal Realm eventually, and I believe that challenger mode is set to give veteran players a taste of the good old days, while also using the current features to put a modern twist into it. So yea, by far that is my main critique on this mode so far, I’ll add more to this thread when I think of more

The same

Uncommon already unlocks the second ability, though…

Agreed

I was talking about challenger mode btw… I wasn’t asking “what is testing for”, I think word ‘testing’ explains it quite well… For some reason I thought you were smart.

No, deca needs to grab them money by selling eggs, you can’t question pets!

Oh, sorry - with “leaving prod” I thought you meant “going from prod to testing”, instead of “switching from prod [Legacy] to Challenger” >n<
Apologies for the snarky comment there.

All good. Was just thinking about potential stuff that could be transferred into main game after chal season ends.

server down?

Cave of a thousand treasures can also be found dropping from gods. Also, am I supposed to have 990 realm gold???

take care of your pet and dont feed it shit like soda. damn, too much sugar

I’m pretty sure your realm gold on legacy = gold on challenger, and using gold in any one of them will lower your gold pool (like, if you use 100g on challenger mode, you will lose 100g on legacy as well).

I love this mode, and have played a few hours of it and have enjoyed every second.

BUT, I don’t see the point of adding pets if the seasons are only going to be 4 days to start. It takes forever to actually get a decent pet, then, it takes forever to get food for that pet. My character has 290 minutes active and I have only got 3 food items and no pets worth putting food in. For the most part I have been playing completely petless, and it has been totally fine. I mean within the first hour a bunch of petless 0/8’s were able to complete O1 and then challenge O2 (of which i think 10 ish people were able to complete).

Please reconsider the addition of pets at all, but everything else has honestly been perfect.

One small thing though, the leaderboard is a bit buggy with regards to scrolling and changing tabs.

Another problem I see: like in prod, there is no space to horde marks. With many of the quests requiring 4 marks this is going to be a problem when you are also trying to save gear for future lives.

Will testing ever be available for Steam users? If it already is and I am missing something, how do I turn that on?

after playing for 5-6 hours this gamemode is amazing. So glad Deca is being very proactive with the marks, as players are able to cash them in for tiered items of their choosing. Really complements the BAD rng in the game; I like the certainty of if I spend enough time, I CAN get the item that i want (without trading). for me it was finally upgrading from a t7 to a diabolical secrets. On the topic of these lower tier items, it was amazing to be able to use them again. On prod the market is so bad old tops are practically being given to people. Everyone starting out a new player without divine/legendary pets is also a nostalgic reminder how cooperative this game once was.

I know mountain temple spawning was a bug, but doing new dungeons w/o pets is like experiencing a whole new dungeon, which brings me to my only negative feedback:

If Challenger mode on prod is going to be longer than 2 months, it should release, or re-release new content.

Farming god-lands, running tombs and killing 02 will get stale in >2 weeks. the majority playerbase on this gamemode probably have at least, LEAST played for a year, which means they have done alot of these three things already. I mean, people already have 8/8’s in the 2nd day this challenge has been out. To have the season progress with the players, re-releasing dungeons at the end of each month (or some time increment) will prevent the gamemode from getting stale.

FOR EXAMPLE: at the end of a 3 week period, Parasite chambers, sewers etc could be released. End of 6 week period, fungal cavern and shatters. End of 9 week period, challenger mode exclusive dungs or SOMETHING etc

basically if this mode is going to stay just like 2011 RotMG, it’s practically going to be a fame farm simulator for a cool skin at the end of every season.

EDIT*
Just thought of this, how is this gamemode NOT gunna be brain damage with all the hacked clients on prod
just thinking about it hurts me