PT: Crystal Cave

You have to be a part of the closed testing group to get the skins.

So like a handpicked invitee from an admin. That makes sense how they know ppl on a 1 on 1 basis. Thanks

The crystallized cyclops is a bit too ridiculous, you have to basically be in the middle or else you get shredded.

Honestly this new dungeon seems like it will be awful. Duo’d with a warrior while I was a pally, the war rushed, killed the few enemies in the last room that attacked us while fighting the wall, fine, boring. The boss, same thing, fight the stuff, fine, boring. The actual crystal entity seemed like it might be a problem if you were bad at dodging and had low defense and no heals. I see no reason not to just have 2 priests with ok pets and just outheal everything because why not. It’s a pretty dungeon that is made trivial by any skill or healing, both aren’t even necessary.

While the Crystal cave gives a fresh breath of potentially new content to be added to the game, I can’t help but feel confused about the dungeon’s design. The overall aesthetic and look of the dungeon gives off a vibe that I have seen this somewhere before, but can’t lay my finger down on what.

Clearing the dungeon is a bland task despite the enemies being new, and maybe the one thing I can applaud the dungeon for is the bullet-hell boss fight, which is a genre I’ve always loved and so it seems kind of natural for me to like it.

Other than that, the boss fight feels very incomplete. The transition from one random guardian to the next with the same line of dialogue makes it look like no progress is being made, and genuinely confused me halfway through my solo fight because I didn’t know if I was supposed to be trying to destroy the crystals or the guardians. One of the guardians that shoots a rapid machine gun should be toned down or give ample warning of its attack, as it throws many people off-guard and kills them almost immediately as well. Idk the other guardians too well, because I’ve already gotten bored after 2-3 crystal caves.

Sorry if this criticism seems rather shallow, it just feels like…it doesn’t fit in RotMG? Idk I can’t really explain it, the dungeon just feels that way to me.

is this a serious comment or a subtle yet knowing nod?

if you’re actually having difficulty finding what looks familiar about this, someone else mentioned on this thread that there are strong similarities between this and the Crystal Cave/Crystal Crossing from pokemon mystery dungeon. I have no idea if that’s the actual inspiration for this dungeon but that’s what it looks most similar to to me.

A bit of both. I swear I’ve seen the dungeon’s design somewhere else before, but I’m unsure about where I’ve seen it. Thinking about it further, I might have seen the resemblance on a particular private server, but I haven’t touched that for so long so I might be thinking it wrongly and it comes from somewhere else. I do know it isn’t from Pokemon because I’ve never played nor watched Pokemon before.

I also immediately thought of a stage from Nuclear Throne.
I just find it interesting seeing what games the designers may have taken inspiration from. Nothing wrong with that, it’s an inherent part of the creative process.

Indeed it is, I have no problems with that actually, even though my post may come off as me putting the design resemblance to another game as negative, it’s more of neutral. If game designers or artists aren’t allowed to take inspiration from anything, we would have far lesser content in general and improvements can’t be made to existing ideas. So yea, I do accept and encourage the game designers to take inspiration from other things.

Maybe “crystal cave” just so happens to be quite a common location in RPG games overall. :stuck_out_tongue:
That probably explains why it feels so familiar to me

UPDATE: The pt server is closed. Thank you for your participation.

i mean…fingers crossed…

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

PT: Classes balancing part 1, Gigantic Cave(Fungal Forest + Crystal Cave), LoD, LoS

Although I definitely think the Crystal Cave has seen some improvements (namely the visuals - really nice touches everywhere), there’s still some issues that need to be addressed. Some minor, some major.

The blue, buff-looking crystal monster has stacked shots while charging and shooting to its sides.

I personally think that the stunning rocks spawned by the one-eyed…black ball with crystals sticking out of it? That thing’s rocks, they’re unintuitive. You just see them coming out of nowhere, and they shoot quite a bit of harming shots that also Stun you for 3 seconds, which is quite some time for a player. Take a few of them (something not too uncommon) and you’ll easily have something that’ll overwhelm players.

I still dislike the boss fight’s hectic amount of shots. The crystals don’t really add a lot to the fight except be annoying and wear down anyone with a lesser pet.
Additionally, one of the minions has a stupidly powerful, wide, rapid shotgun that shreds through pretty much everything. Anyone running for the first time will be forced to Nexus if that thing appears like that, because it’s just unfair.

Don’t know if this has been said before, the sudden 100 damage terrain change after the crystal entity spawns is complete bullshit. I just lost a character that way. There is no warning given, and I stayed around the outer because it was easier that way. Well, don’t do something like that; at the very least, make the Crystal Entity SAY SOMETHING THAT WARNS THE PLAYER before suddenly changing the terrain.

The crystals can spawn on rocks.

Sometimes the pop rocks don’t shoot in the directions I’d expect them to. Not sure if bug or feature.

The 5 crystals in the boss room are complete worthless. If you have a somewhat decent pet the shots do a negligible amount of damage and are just pesky. Unless the intention is to make it more chaotic and make the player unsure what to prioritize dodging it is wasted. In the event that the player has low defense or a poor pet the shots just make it difficult to move around with the mini bosses which doesnt make it challenging per say rather tedious. If the drop table gives top tier loot that is best in slot for some situations you could reduce the shots (to say 2-3 targeted shots rather than radial shots) and increase the damage substantially to force the player or group to dodge. If the drop table is mid tier consider reducing the size or amount of shots from the crystals so the player can focus on dodging the boss’ or mini bosses shots. Just my two cents after slogging through on a couple characters, some of which was with a 100 heal pet in which the last phase can be face tanked.

released with Patch X.31.9.0 - Fungal Cavern