• Increased the sprite size.

Scorpion:

• The delay of vulnerability has been extended to 10s
  • the Real mini scorpion flashes faster
  • Added a new shooting pattern to the Scorpion

Monstrosity:

• Aoe Confuse is now a projectile nova.

Crystallised Lizard:

• Projectiles move faster and do more dmg.

Main Boss:

• The Red Orbs will start shooting at the start of the phase. their speed will increase at 60% and 30% hp
  • The Boss will spawn Crystal Flowers in the last phase.

Introduction

This is the second part of the Fungal Cavern, leading players deeper into the abandoned mineshaft to discover what transpired in the dwarven depths.

Like the first part, your main goal is to obtain crystals throughout the dungeon to unlock the path to the core. Just as with the Fungal Cavern you don’t need to get every crystal to proceed, so it may be wise to simply avoid rooms that look too sketchy if it can be helped. The map is shorter and more dense, but has more intense monsters to boot.

This dungeon aims to be a logical progression in difficulty from the Fungal Cavern, so your feedback on the overall challenge level is very important. Does this feel on par with other endgame content?

Please note: Drop table currently implemented is not the final one.

Environment

The environment is functionally similar to the Fungal Cavern. Do the rooms feel varied and interesting? Are they aesthetically pleasing?

Monsters

As luck would have it, the Crystal Worm Mother was the guardian of many other crystalline creatures defending the deepest parts of the cavern. The monsters down here are more aggressive, and many feature complex shot patterns. Do the enemies feel engaging? Are they sufficiently varied? Does each family have a clear role and purpose in combat?

Boss: Crystal Entity

The final boss is the Crystal Entity, an ancient power source slumbering beneath the realm for eons. This encounter is designed to give a different experience each time. Three minibosses are randomly chosen in any order out of a pool of five, all while the Crystal Entity aids them with additional bullet patterns. For comparison, think of how Null summons different groups of Servers in each run. After three guardians are defeated, you’ll need to destroy the Crystal Entity itself.

Are the different minibosses roughly equal in terms of difficulty, or are there any glaring under/overpowered ones? Do you feel the fight presents a fair challenge?

UT Items

There are currently five UTs designed to drop from the Crystal Cavern. These are still works in progress, so please disregard any placeholder art.

Echoes Prism
Crystallised Mist
Refraction Cloak
Fractured Gemstone Wakizashi
Star of Enlightenment

Echoes Prism
A prism made of dark crystal. It creates a link between places.
On first use, marks the location.
On second use, teleports back to the mark.

Crystallized Mist
This strange trinket creates a cloud of crystaline particles rendering anyone inside invisible.

On hit gives invisiblity for 5 seconds.
30 seconds cooldown.

Refraction Cloak
This heavy cloak cleverly conceals its user not by magic, but by channeling the light around them as camouflage. Tampering with this light briefly projects a false mirror image of oneself.

This is a cloak-prism hybrid item. Shorter invisibility duration, but very briefly briefly creates a decoy. Designed to give the rogue a unique spin on his usual playstyle and make better getaways. Lowers SPD stat but gives DEF and DPS boosts to boot.

Fractured Gemstone Wakizashi
Carved from the unblemished minerals deep beneath the realm, this unconventional wakizashi fractures itself when swung to release a strange supernatural energy.

This waki is a total departure from the usual mold, instead creating a helper entity like Hivemaster Helm. A sentient crystal star is summoned upon use, orbiting the player and dealing rapid contact damage that also inflicts a short Exposed. Most effective with an in-your-face playstyle for the samurai.

Star of Enlightenment
A perfectly cut crystal encasing light from the oldest stars in the universe. All who hold it are filled with a sense of peace and concentration.

Inflicts Slowed on self when held instead of Speedy. Meant as a makeshift “Walk button” to match the dense, elaborate bullet patterns of the dungeon. Star deals very high damage but has slower travel speed, making it harder to hit with and requiring the player to lead shots. Meant to be a high-skill item for people who can make judicious use of self-slowing.

everything seems cool and interesting except for the star, I’d wanna see a boomerang or ricochet star. Also I hope the crystallized mist ring gives at least some stats, just the 5sec invis seems kinda bad incomparison to a ubhp or other good ring.

The test server seems to be closed though

Sil5ex is still fixing some enemies - there are two guardians that are currently broken and don’t do anything except…well, exist.

I’ve always wanted an item for controlled slow to dodge massive storms of shots in fights like MBC, similar to how “focus” modes in other bullet hells work. I’m looking forward to testing it out!

Star is a no. Don’t dump a touhou-like walk button on a single class. Rework the concept, and please put a walk button on all classes, not the glassiest cannon of all glass cannons.

(instead, maybe… make a star focused on the user’s dps?)

That’s true, now that I think about it a walk button wouldn’t work very well on Ninja. I’m still convinced that the concept itself could be really neat, though.

I am too. Thus, why I think it should be put on all classes. If anything, I did come up with a concept for a star that kind of focuses on something similar in the past.
It’s a star that gives the user +10 atk upon holding (does not regen MP), and deals heavy damage upon release. Basically forfeiting the speed of the user to gain dps.

Can y’all rework all stars?

The 2nd miniboss, the one that has the AOE instant confusion, is much too punishing for how undodgeable it is.
make the confuse a smaller radius, or make the dash onto the person slower.
You can’t plan for something when the mob can literally jump at you from halfway across the platform (cool shape btw)
I just want it to be a little more forgiving in an otherwise hellishly hard fight.

The whole boss fight seems to rely much more on tanking than on dodging

First part of my post is just about the dungeon not including the boss fight

The mobs in the dungeon are awesome, i really enjoy the theme of colored crystals and every enemy feels unique. The only mob i have problems with are the slime lookin guys, they really don’t do anything, the only dangerous ones are the yellow as they paralyze. The other slimes are very slow, only shoot one to two shots, and are basically just speed bumps. Another issue i have is that this dungeon may be too rush-able due to the lack of status effects, big discords are just going to clear to the boss then have a rogue or two go clear the crystals, hell i was almost able to rush it on a trickster (havent tried on rogue so im unsure of the enemies “afk” attack pattern, so this could be a non-issue).

The boss seems cool… except for the instant confuse guy. That is bullshit, I would be fine with confusing projectiles, but an instant AOE confuse during a VERY bullet heavy phase is just stupid. Its not even a matter of knowing your confuse controls, which I am very comfortable with, its the fact that he instantly jumps on you meaning you have to switch to confuse controls as fast as possible or be shotgunned/put in a compromising position. It doesn’t help that to dodge the bullets from the middle you have to have very precise movements.

Havent touched the ut’s, maybe ill update this post as I keep playing.

Edits: Finished a solo run on a rogue, rushing the dungeon felt very easy. Very few enemies have afk attack patterns, and often i was able to avoid the quiet easily by slipping around a wall. Even when i did get quieted, not many enemies have aggressive attack patterns so i was able to just wait and re-cloak.

Now onto the meat, the bosses( of which i think i have encountered all of them). Yes I was playing a rogue, but was trying to cloak as little as possible to feel the fights out. I also ended up not cloaking at all for the crystal core itself and the teleporting boss. For most of the bosses cloaking actually did nothing as they would dissapear.

• Lets start with the scorpion spawner, this is by far the worst fight in the entire fucking game and im not exaggerating. He was the first boss spawned for me and honestly i thought about giving up and trying to get a different boss because he is so fucking tedious. His scorpions death explosions also absolute bullshit, these guys are running away from you the entire time which is tedious in itself but then when one dies its death explosion does probably more than 5,000 damage (not exaggerated) meaning you have to back up and restart your chase. The boss itself also shares the scorpions death explosions as its shotgun, so it was impossible for me to get close to him, ALSO in his first phase, >50% hp, he only came out of invulnerability for 2 seconds at a time maximum then dissapeared and spawned those fucking scorpions. I HAD TO DO THE MINION PHASE 7 TIMES, and you have to kill 5-10 minions each time to advance(wasn’t counting). Also there’s some red orbs in the last 50% that don’t do anything, i’m sure they are placeholders for something but they just float around rn.

• My second least favorite is the armor break confuse sick guy, yes he does all of those status effects INSTANTLY as he jumps ontop of you with 500 speed(again not exaggerated). I had to cloak through this guy as I was not able to outrun his jumps and wanted to continue the dungeon. His other phases are cool, but they would be cooler if i wasnt confused sick and armor broken.

I liked the rest of the guardians

• Teleporty guy is really cool and has awesome shot patterns, but he doesnt seem to be as complex as the other bosses. Soloing he seemed very dangerous, but if it was a large group this guy would die in a second and the group would very likely be able to sit still and tank his shots. Definitly the easiest guardian.

• the other 2 are cool, one is super bullet hell and i forget what the last one does

Disclaimer, I haven’t fought the Crystal Entity yet, but here’s some preliminary things I found could be improved about the dungeon itself:

• Good god, the bats. They hit like freight trains, are decently durable, zip around faster than you can aim, and you’re saying they explode and potentially instakill you on death too? It doesn’t help that they love to swarm you. For the love of god, either make them slower, do less damage, not explode on death, or some combination of the above.
  • The purple crystals exploding into that massive ring of shots, which is nearly impossible to dodge if there are other threats in the room as well. Just make it slower or less dense. Fungal Cavern’s crystal explosions were good in my opinion.
  • Why are the Crystal Worm Children standard enemies here? In the Worm Mother fight, there’s only one - and for good reason. Those things are effectively minibosses - they take way too long to kill, and that spiral pattern is a nightmare to deal with if you don’t wipe the rest of the room first. It’s nice thematically that they’re in, but please nerf them.

These are just a few, I’ll likely have more feedback as I go on. I have to say that I’m loving the unique shot patterns you gave these enemies, though.

Edit: Witnessed a few boss fights, and the fight itself looks astounding. Removing the big crystals was a good call, and the boss/minions use lots of crazy shot patterns that haven’t been seen anywhere else in the game. I’m really glad the difficulty was bumped up, it really feels like an endgame dungeon now. That being said, I share a few complaints with what seems like most of the playerbase.

• An instant AoE confusion is not fun or fair, especially when the monster that uses it can move stupidly fast. I didn’t witness this one firsthand, but I still agree that it should be changed.
  • But most importantly, the scorpion in the boss fight needs a nerf. The scorpion’s shotgun is already a piece of work, making it almost impossible to get close to the thing - and then there’s the clone phase. The clone phase is designed so when a fake one is killed, it explode-and there goes half my health bar. There’s no reason for the shots from the clone explosions to inflict so much goddamn damage - even if you’re far away, it does enough damage to chunk you, or outright kill you if you’re already damaged. And if you are sitting on it, only Oreo or Crystal Shield will save you - which wouldn’t have been nearly as bad if you didn’t have to chase them down while they run away from you. Imagine doing this on a melee.

Maybe it should give speedy until space has been pressed

I feel the star should also boost dex since you’re “focused” and maybe there should be another incentive to clear.

cloak seems super fun to use… in the description though there’s no mention of a decoy. also, i don’t think it needs any passive stat effects, i think leaving it be (like davy prism) is better.

help I’m too impatient to wait to regen and am instead only relying on my 9,999 guardian angels

Though I’ve only experienced a small portion of the new Cavern before being forcibly disconnected, the only new feedback I can give is that these guys:
could use a tweak to their rock-spawning happening.
Currently, they cause rocks to “sprout” out of the ground around them - which is cool and all, but it’s also very confusing to deal with for newcomers, and could also easily heavily damage or even kill slightly unaware players.
Either make them come out of it or make it throw them, but don’t use this weird independent spawning mechanic.
For those curious, the sprites are on static.drips, under “crystalCave[nxn]chars/objects”.

And I also agree with @ThymeWarp on the bats - especially the yellow ones, who have a much denser explosion for some reason?

This dungeon is obviously not for newcomers, and the crystals are telegraphed pretty clearly. I think sitting on it as it explodes will do a maximum of 400 dmg, so not too dangerous.

Is it wrong to ask that players be familiar with the dungeon and its enemies, especially such an endgame one like this?

This is the only point that I don’t agree with.
There is no indicator that they spawn from it, nor any way to really tell that they’re going to be spawned until you see them. It’s just something that really doesn’t sit right with me - it feels unnatural.

Aside from that, yeah, the explosion isn’t too lethal. I wasn’t sure how much they did, so I probably exaggerated there >_<