PT: In/Out of Combat System and more!

Your brain gets wiped after you die in rotmg? Or do you mean your progress is lost. Alright, in calculus terms, taking an L on homework or a test knocks down your grade, and you have to try to recover from that.

I’m going to be blunt - you’re a shit player if you think paying money will stop this “loop” of yours. It’s only stopped through practice.

Your progress is lost, which means you have to build back up to where you were. Once you consider how difficult (or at least expected to be difficult lost halls is), your brain will be filled by so many more things until you reach it, that your muscle memory probably won’t be ready to put back things you did like 2 or 3 weeks ago, specially with how much repetition the game has. You will be more adapted to early game and will automatically swap into it, rather then your brain will just jump into Lost Halls mode.

And again, this practice can take a long time to be done with a single character slot, considering that if you fail and cannot nexus (which for a new player is probably not easy to realize when anything from LH will just straight out pop you). If you pay for more slots, the time that takes you to jump right back into a halls for practice is less, since that character can be maxed. Also I mentioned dropping money, because it takes you 5 months of constantly logging in for a character slot, which a new player probably won’t be hooked enough into the game to start doing that within the first few months

And now I have killed some more things on archer.

• Paralyzing the small worm segments in the Dwarf Miner event, like with the Fungal Cavern boss, does cause some chaos. However, I don’t know how chaotic this would be with many players fighting the worm as was intended, and it may not have a significant impact in the end.
  • In Puppet Master’s Encore, the Puppet of Pain and Puppet of Chaos are still immune to stun/paralyze as they are in prod. This makes it a bit hard to test the effect of immunities. The same issue may also appear in Halloween Haunted Cem too since that’s just a reskin of it.
  • The Golden Sphinx in Katalund should probably be immune to paralyze. A lot of griefing opportunities can be opened up by having it paralyzed in the clouds, even with the cooldown.
  • In The Machine: The phase where three Servers move in a triangle pattern gets pretty wonky with paralyze. They won’t stop mid-path to a point and will reach the point, but on that point if they’re paralyzed then they won’t move to the next point. This also causes them to play the attack that they would normally use at the next point at the wrong location, breaking the whole “triangle” design (and also causing those damaging shots to fire out where they shouldn’t). It does fix itself after a while, but it is definitely very chaotic.
    Additionally, as a more minor thing, in the phase where three Servers go in a large circle with a wide gap between each one, paralyze can cause them to group more closely together. However, I don’t think this could cause any major gameplay issues.
  • Something I haven’t actually tested out myself, but thought of when I was doing the Chicken Oryx fight: I feel like stun could cause issues with the phase of Killer Bee Queen in The Nest where she fires like 100+ needles and you circle. When that phase starts up, there’s a sort of “delay” or “start-up” where the needles slowly start accumulating and that hints to you what’s going to happen. After a stun, this “start-up” probably won’t occur, which means any poor souls happening to stand in the wrong place will get absolutely eviscerated with no way to save themselves other than nexus.
  • Paralyzing the Corruption Phantom during its second phase (the one where it fires projectiles in a circular pattern and you need to kill the small enemies) makes it only fire in one straight line as long as its paralyzed, making the fight much more trivial (and a bit less trivial for anyone who happened to stand where that line is going to form, perhaps).
    It also seems that paralyzing it during either the first or the second phase might change the direction of rotation; it definitely seemed like I was going “against the grain” of the rotation, especially noticeable when you try to circle, it feels like there is less space available. Doesn’t look like you can switch the rotation back either, no matter when you try and paralyze after it’s been flipped.

Surprisingly, not much overall seems to be broken from removing stun and paralyze immunities across the board (and of what I’ve observed to be broken, I’ve noted down).

Some other things relating to posts higher up in the thread, and regarding my own personal thoughts on this rework:

There was a question of what relatively newer players to the game thought of the rework (rather than just the opinions of only veterans). Well, I don’t quite fit the “red star” part of that, but my RealmEye page says I started my account 1 year and 189 days ago, so hopefully I can be one substitute.
I find the rework wonderful. It doesn’t seem to change much in terms of how I play the game, and what it does change I find really fun. I’ll be in a fight, I’ll see my HP is low, and then I focus even more on dodging so I can hopefully trigger OOC and get my HP back up through heals. You can do that in prod currently, but it feels like I’m being -rewarded- for dodging so well with extra heals. It’s nice.
One disclaimer though is that I have a rare pet on prod, but a legendary pet on testing. That may bias me.

And re: backpedal, I’ve seen a lot of your posts recently seem to focus on Kiddforce being somehow against not only you, but the entire Realm community. I don’t really know where this is coming from. I assume it’s because of opposition to the ideas and opinions you have expressed. It’s natural in life that people will disagree; if everyone agreed about the exact same things, this world would be incredibly boring! People disagreeing with you does not mean they are out to get you. I don’t think there is anything to support Kiddforce being against the Realm community, either. If anything, this highly informative post regarding the why and how this rework came into place, that he didn’t have to do but spent the time to write out anyways just to help the community understand, implies the opposite: that he is supportive of the Realm community.
Unfortunately, this obsession with painting Kiddforce as some evil entity isn’t really helping your posts, either. It feels like you’re substituting actual points and facts with “kiddforce bad” and that makes it a lot more difficult to read through, because it not only weakens your argument but also makes it seem like you are ranting and raving over a grudge or personal dislike, rather than your intention of creating a solid post to convince others.

Okay, wow. this thread has taken me some sweet time to read through.

I’ll start of by saying I’ve spent a bit of time on testing today and yesterday, checking out different dungeons with mostly the warrior class.

I’m just back from a nearly 2 year hiatus, so my experiences will be based on dungeon versions that existed back then (I quit just before LH 2.0 hit prod), as well as the little bit of Realm I’ve seen in the past week or so of being back.

Bugs

I’ve encountered a small bug where enemies in the Fungal Cavern may sometimes spawn inside walls (see this screenshot).

When going out of pet stasis, the chicken sprite stays a few moments longer than the actual status effect indicator above the player’s head.

Thoughts on the pet(+vit) changes

Playing petless is massively more enjoyable with these changes.

Did a duo tomb (warrior and priest, both petless). It was really enjoyable, I ended up soloing nut and bes (on warrior) because the other player went AFK. It felt comparable to playing with a maxed rare pet back in the day (2015 or so?). That’s without any pet to speak of.

Comparing with no pet, this change is amazing. It makes the game much more welcoming for new players (provided that they’re able to farm potions, but that’s part of the general learning curve anyway).

On prod, I have a 90/90/77 pet. I managed to find the same abilities as I have on prod, so I ended up making the exact same set of abilities.

When playing with a pet, the gameplay is different. This needs to be said. I’m used to playing with a maxed legendary (h/mh/elec), which allows me to tank most bullets in most dungeons. If you use such a playstyle with the new combat system, you’ll find yourself with lower health more often than before. Recovering from high damage hits takes a little while longer. This change in itself would make the game more slow-paced.

Despite this, gameplay still felt reasonably fast (read: I didn’t notice a significant change of overall pace). Though I found myself worrying over my health more often, it resulted in me having to dodge bullets for a few seconds every so often rather than stand still and rely on my pet for mitigating any damage taken.

I found that the difficulty of dungeons isn’t significantly altered, probably due to the fact that the enemies’ health is also lower. I’ll do more testing on regular dungeons (abysses, udls and the like, haven’t been in those yet) later, it’s late now ;p.

That being said, I do like how the flow of the game is changed with this update. Currently, with pets as they are now, it doesn’t pay off to attempt to dodge everything. With this new update, you’re forced to actually try and dodge, almost like this is a bullet hell shooter.

Overall remarks on testing

I’m really enjoying this round of testing. Though some of my time went into testing older content, this was also a really easy way for me to get familiar with content new to me, i.e. Fungal Cavern or the Marble Colossus fight. Considering I’ve been inactive for a long time, this is a really useful way for me to catch up. Kind of makes me want this round of testing take a bit longer so I have time to get used to the newer dungeons.

Honestly, I wish having a server which allows you to try out dungeons that are new to you with a maxed character without risk of dieing (but also no loot gains) is an awesome tool for newer players (and returning oldies alike) to learn them.

It also allows for some fun challenges to be done, without the risks usually attached to it (i.e. soloing Lost Halls 1.0, both MBC and cultist hideout, having to spend nearly 3 months to get 19 planewalkers for 55 LH attempts in total before having done 2 successful MBC runs and one full titan+cultist hideout).

Then again, challenges like that might be even more challenging

Final remarks

After my hiatus, I’ve come back to a Realm which, in some ways, has changed significantly.

I see a lot of new UTs, some of which are only available for a limited time (something I’m not personally a fan of), a lot of new content overall (some cool looking dungeons which seem challenging) as well as a boatload of QoL changes.

I see a player base which has been dwindling slowly but surely, with servers now seeming to empty out completely at times, aside from the regular notifier bot which keeps running around on highland roads (convenient yet annoying).

I see a load of new updates, from balancing changes and events to new dungeons and complete reworks of existing dungeons.

I will probably make a new reply whenever I feel like I’ve tested enough to give some more meaningful feedback.

GOD the in and out of combat system is a hot mess. The only thing I like about this is the changes to paladin and mystic.

If you’re talking of fungal cavern, it’s actually a fun boss fight.

It already is…

There are so many reminders to actually test the changes before making a “everyone is fucking doomed” post that I find it hard to believe you haven’t seen them.

You mean, the petless rotmg? If so, you should be happy, no?

Consider removing the alien planet portals next time; they take a long time before they disappear only if a player is within range, and can stack on top of eachother if there aren’t any, making it impossible to enter the other dungeons.

On the note of dungeons: Shaitan’s Lair doesn’t have the flashing animation before it’s going to disappear.

After a failed attempt, I do think that the Queen’s phase where you’re permanently armor broken (with the colored-ball spam) gets a little broken if she’s stunned before it.
At least, it certainly is a bit harder on Knight if you’re not permanently being healed and only have an Acclaim, that’s for sure…

Apart from the massive fan-hitting situation that’s going on in these forums, I really admire the devs for being able to do this. They knew 100% that this was going to be the response, and yet they did it anyways, because they knew it is what is better for the game. When’s the last time you actually had to TRY and play (apart from Lost Halls/Shatters/maybe Thickets)? You just go in, perma-stun, and boom, there’s your loot, onto the next. Now people will actually have to learn how to dodge. I personally think @Pentaract said it best;

I personally believe that these changes are great, and I think the devs are extremely brave for attempting to drag the game out of the frying pan it’s been in for far too long. As long as the community will accept these changes, everything might just come out OK. But if people keep nay-saying anything the devs attempt to do, it’ll just be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I can second this! During my first attempt at figuring out what the Queen does when Stunned - on an 8/8 Knight with a 100/100 pet - my playstyle was very careless, and when I did it again but slowed down a bit, I noticed that I barely every hit below 60% of my HP.
It really made me switch from the mentality of “I can tank anything so long as I don’t do it on purpose” to “I can tank a few shots, but I must try to dodge them and limit the amount of enemies I take on”.
To bee fair, doing it on a melee with just an Acclaim and that new, wacky Oryx-sword is probably also a factor.

Alright, I guess I’ll give my two cents on these changes.
(To preface, I haven’t played testing, so I’ll be judging the changes with that in mind. Anything I may propose is done with the idea of what I think may happen or how I think something will work. If any claim I make seems unreasonable or incorrect, don’t feel wrong to correct me.)

1.) The In/Out of Combat System
So starting off with the pet changes, I really don’t see these changes as a problem, coming from a person who (now as of recently) has a good legendary pet to work with. Changing pets so they can’t carry you through a fight is not a bad change, and if everyone gets the same “nerf” it isn’t broken.
Honestly, the only major issue I see with this change is that it might hurt rushing as a whole. People, to rush dungeons, rely (often) upon their pets to help them through some tough spots, and if your pet abilities are reduced it will likely make this rough.

Overall though, I don’t see this change as bad, and if you practice enough with it I really doubt it will hinder much of anyone. Also it makes it more beneficial to work as groups with buffing / healing classes to help you out, so I consider that a plus. (This is a game about teamwork, we need to see that teamwork more)

2.) Addressing the gap between small and big groups
I also, for the most part, like this change as well. I’ve always wanted to see the robe classes get to shine their buffs more alongside the heavy armor classes. Honestly only thing I dislike about this is the change on Paladin no longer can provide an instant heal, which I like simply for doing solo stuff on Paladin, but again that isn’t that damaging of a change either. (I can’t say much else on this one having not played testing)

3.) Giving DEF a new purpose
I definitely support defense getting more relevance and as such the armored buff getting a nerf, again I am curious as to how this might effect rushing.

4.) Making up for those changes: Status Effects
Alright, this is the first one I am not so sure about. I think most players, myself including, are so used to chain-stunning and chain-paralyzing that suddenly losing the ability to do this is going to be rather…confusing and disorienting. I am not saying this is entirely a bad idea, but its going to be a big change I doubt most will like right off the bat. Also a 3 second immunity against the respective effect seems a bit much…although depending on what boss you are fighting, this change may seem better or worse.

5.) Making up for those changes: Class Balance
Alright there is a LOT to read here, so I’ll quickly give a couple sentence summary on each of these:

-Paladin: Good to see Paladin get a bit more DPS love as compensation, the HP change on tiered seals isnt all that significant, but ok

-Mystic: Thank god Mystic got buffed as well people need more reason to use it, the flat dex change on tiered orbs I feel is kind of crap compared to the berserk Mystic used to get, the curse on all tiered orbs is nice

-Warrior: Good, but I feel warriors will still use these changes to try to solo-steamroll things (not entirely sure about this, but this is what I expect)

I have mixed feelings on the class / item change, but hopefully because of the above changes people will be inspired to do teamwork more.

Alright, so really overall in summary, most of these changes I support and may take time getting used to, but I am all for it since it will hopefully fix the prevalent issue of a lack of teamwork. Only big gripe is the whole change on crowd-control on enemies / bosses.

What if, instead of IC changing the time it takes for mp and hp abilities to activate, it lowers the amount healed? i’d definitely prefer a bunch of small heals compared to one large slow heal

Well, I did the math.
For both situations, I’ll take a Mystic with just tops and no offense-boosting ring into account.

OLD:
A/s (attacks per second) = (1.5 + 6.5 * (DEX / 75)) * Shots
" = 1.5 + 6.5 * (55/75) * 2 = (1.5 + 4.766…) * 2 = 12.533…
Berserk: 12.533… * 1.5 = 18.8.`
D/sh (damage per shot) = (AverageBaseDamage) * (0.5 + ATT / 50)
" = 80 * (0.5 + 64 / 50) = 80 * 1.78 = 142.4.
Curse: 142.4 * 1.2 = 170.88.
D/sh * A/s = DPS.
170.88 * 18.8 = 3212.544
3213 DPS.

NEW:
A/s = 1.5 + 6.5 * (71/75) * 2 = (1.5 + ) * 2 = 15.3066…
D/sh = 80 * (0.5 + 69 / 50) = 80 * 1.88 = 150.4.
Curse: 150.4 * 1.25 = 188.
D/sh * A/s = DPS.
188 * 15.3066… = 2877.6533…
2878 DPS

So yeah, Mystic may lose out on a fair bit of a DPS, but that former one is only achieved if she’s self-buffing - which only lasts for 3 seconds before you have to do it again.
With the other, you only need to activate your orb every 9 or 10 seconds (depending on your wis), making her overall more consistent. (and also better within a group setting, since she’ll just have better stats)

I was thinking about posting my exact post on reddit over here but I feel like its redundant so here are My thoughts on in-combat pet changes, and feedback around it

Thinking on this, the biggest problem with the in/out combat system is in how the game has adapted to pets since their introduction.

I mean, as well as brand new debuffs that counteract pets, pet stasis in particular but also silenced, a lot of content has been added which heavily uses both old and new debuffs to frustrate pets. The Toxic Sewers e.g. have effectively perma-sick for anyone trying to move though it quickly, as you don’t get to stay on a dry area for long enough for sick to wear off. There are ways to avoid this – a Trix can teleport between dry areas for example – but for most chars what it means you have to stop a few times, long enough for healing to resume, picking a spot away from enemies or that you can quickly clear.

This will be much slower and more frustrating if you cannot be sure when sick wears off that healing will resume. You will have to find areas free of enemies, which means perhaps doubling back, or clearing everything as you go.

Many dungeons have similar problems. They have hard to impossible to avoid debuffs, which disable pets or pet effects. But only for a limited amount of time, so you know when the debuff wears off you can heal and/or recharge your MP.

Often these dungeons have nowhere to go to avoid all damage. I am thinking of arena type dungeons and boss encounters. Which means the debuff might wear off but you are still subject to the In Combat penalty, unable to quickly recover.

Pretty much all content added recently, with the exception perhaps of The Hive, has a problem to some extent. It all seems designed and balanced for players with pets as they are now. It all needs reworking if this system is introduced, otherwise it will end up being avoided by most players as just too punishing.

The Hive isn’t balanced for the players who have access to it the most - people with low/midlands gear of a level around 7 to 10.
Unless you can convince me that enemies dealing 50 damage, with a boss that has a near-infinite supply of them and is also about as fast as a sprite is balanced for those players…

Eh, good point. Thanks for pointing that out :+1: