PT: In/Out of Combat System and more!

Right like I personally think it is a HUGE middle finger to all the people who have spent money on pets. Like, just the other day I saw a light blue star with a divine pet.

You’ll still have a considerable advantage over others while in combat, and it should only take a moment or two once out of combat to replenish any lost hp if you have a divine. Just learn to dodge and prioritize def and vit more than you already to do (to stay in OoC as long as possible) and you should be fine.

Will your pet be as stupidly powerful as it once was? Obviously not. But if DECA makes other changes to the game to help compensate for some of these alterations (as they have suggested they will), you will likely find that your pet wasn’t nerfed as much as you thought.

Paladin buffs? Didn’t paladin get nerfed with blasphemy buffed?

I only have a rare pet, but yeah Imma definitely be using more of my UBdef rings and even some C-Rings on any mundane characters. But yeah, you’re right. Me, as well as many others are afraid of this nerf because the game has become so pet-oriented that any version of a nerf sounds more horrible than it probably will be.

I could have misread it, but I thought I read the paladin was getting it’s stats buffed from 45 dex cap to 55 and 50 atk cap to 55.

Oh… yeah. For some reason, I was just thinking about the damaging nerf but you’re right

Yeah the nerf to damaging is wild. I guess they think the extra 10 dex and 5 atk will make up for the .25 damaging reduction. I guess we will have to wait and see.

If you look it from a certain perspective, you should feel rewarded with OOC rather than punished with IC, if you see what I mean.

It’s like the old game devs tale of World of Warcraft. They wanted to disincentivise people playing unhealthy amounts so they added an xp gain penalty to playing all the time. People predictably got mad, so all they did was rephrase the overtime penalty as a ‘rested bonus’ to your xp for when you log off for long enough. Functionally the same, but it made all the difference psychologically.

The same can be applied to this new combat system. Functionally the pets are actually all the same, but the top perfomance of your pet is a reward for good gameplay. It’s clear from PT that a few newer bosses need to be overlooked with IC in mind, but generally I’m very happy with these changes!

p.s. just spitballing but wouldn’t it be nice to have a kind of barrier system (risk of rain 2 style) that acts as a small second health bar(50-100 HP, doesnt regen naturally). Taking damage to barrier hp doesnt send you IC until youve depleted your barrier (replenishes after you return to OOC). This could be a primary or secondary stat on items to act as a defensive option for ranged characters (primarily) to not always have to be IC.

Sacrificing DPS for heals seems like an interesting gameplay choice to me, and it also further opens up defensive options away from just pure hp - do I take the flat 180hp for one shot protection? the mix of def and hp for effective health? the 50 hp barrier? or some mix of two?

(sry for fat paras xx)

Every single one of your posts on this thread has been absolutely idiotic. First of all DECA does NOT fall under US jurisdiction, second of all, no law in the US protects your pet from being nerfed. You bought the gold NOT the pet.

Use your brain to think about the implications of such a law, every time a hero in League of Legends got nerfed could I sue riot games?

Please come up with a better argument if you want to be taken seriously.

you realize that litterally a scam if you bought a abrosia directly because you know how good the item is and you got it for that reason and then just to get it nerfed that is litteraly a scam. You can easily sue a company for this bc this can be compared to real life , lets say you spent money on a scooter, the company that you bought it from cant come up to you take your scooter just because they had it on tos on their website and make it so that the scooter wont work. even if it is in tos that does not mean its legal.

By that logic, any online game shutting down/having balance changes should be sued.

There’s no legal reason DECA has to keep pets the same, and we should stop talking about it and start discussing the actual IC system.

You have no idea how it works. Yes, a physical good you own you generally cannot be deprived of, though there are exceptions. The govt. could outlaw petrol combustion engines for example (might happen one day), rendering your hypothetical scooter worthless. But yes, once you buy a physical good you own it. Gold for example. Lots of people like gold for its intrinsic value (though safely storing it can be a pain).

With virtual goods though you generally don’t own them. You have a licence to use them, subject to the terms of service. You can be deprived of them without warning, due to e.g. a ban, or a hacker gaining access to your account, or your connection being suddenly blocked due to your school/office/ISP.

The developer can change how the game works, so your valuable items are no longer so valuable. In fact this happens all the time as the economy changes. Maybe you spent money on tiered weapons in the Nexus. Arguably they were never good value, but certainly now when you can get them easily in game or for free from other players, and find far better items as drops, from events and mystery boxes.

Companies that sell scooters have guarantees that reassure that your scooter will, in fact, remain a scooter, and that they will continue to function like one.

Digital ‘products’ such as bitcoin, rotmg gold, pet food, pets, etc. don’t have the luxury of object permeanence, and neither does Deca have the obligation to assure it. Think of pets more as a service that you pay for, like renting a scooter, or playing World of Warcraft. Purchasing a service does not entitle you to the full rights of said service.

You do not own your pet just as you don’t really own the games in your steam library. You pay a fee for easy access to games that come with the stipulation that if you hack, you get banned, and can lose access to your steam account, thus your games. You wouldn’t argue that getting VAC banned from steam for hacking isn’t fair, just as you wouldn’t say losing access to your pet for hacking in rotmg isn’t fair. Therefore you have to conclude that you do not have full ownership over your pet, and that balance changes can be made ‘legally’.

again sry for para spam but seeing all these ‘pet changes are illegal’ comments are frustrating when all Deca is doing is solid work.

Oh you got there first lol.
Well said :slight_smile:

Have you guys considered that your pet also loses its value if you dont play the game anymore beacuse it has turned into a dull grindfest (which is exactly what happened)? A pet that you dont use because you dont play also has no value, so if your pet gets nerfed, but you actually enjoy the game again, it actually gains value

175 actually

You can read there :

“They release a new champion that is always, always overpowered. So the people who pay for the game buy the champion immediately… and then Riot will go in and slowly devalue the champion until he is ‘balanced.’ In addition to damaging the goods you just bought, they also lower the price of the previous champion they released,” Weidemann says. “I would feel cheated. How come LoL can actually get away with that?”

Riot has freely admitted releasing overpowered characters and adjusting them later, and the player base doesn’t seem to mind, even though it makes it hard for players to choose their first champion.

As you can see, Riot is already doing that and even though you can consider that a scam, they don’t get sued for this.

At least in our case it’s not as bad as that. They could release over powered ST and then nerf them a week later (granted, some ST got nerfed, but waaaay later than a week)

Also, technically what they paid for hasn’t changed. They paid for pet eggs, pet eggs still give you the same results. They paid to feet their pets, both the fp it takes to feed a pet to divine and the amount of gold it takes per feed hasn’t changed. Nor has the level system.

A final note I’d like to make is that mheal should be based on ability usage and wis amount as a separate thing to heal, and the same goes for the 2x wis while OOC

Don’t monetize like League of Legends

Yes, why would anyone copy a game with such a flawed business model, which is on its last legs because of bad business decisions like that?!?

( /s, in case it’s not obvious)

I don’t really know LoL, but it’s the nature of all such games that they either stagnate and die or evolve and grow. Which usually involves releasing new content, that improves in some way on existing content. New stronger classes. Higher level caps and new abilities. New items and sets. New quests for even better items.

And this can involve tweaks, and yes nerfs, to existing classes, abilities and items, to keep things balanced and allow room for the new items. Or new content might highlight how existing content has become unbalanced and needs adjusting.

Which is what’s happened to ROTMG. The introduction of pets unbalanced the game, towards melee in particular. For a while melee was the only way to play the game, as it was the only way to get SB and drops from many bosses and events. HP scaling and much lower SB thresholds fixed this, but it fixed a consequence of the game being unbalanced, not the fact it is.

It’s only become more obvious over time with new content, so e.g. people use only melee, and ask others to use melee, for endgame content. Other classes just can’t compete in damage + boosts, while pets mean they can just shrug off most damage and not care whether anyone can heal or can slow/paralyse/stasis enemies.

As long as it’s not a nerf to our pets. I’m fine. If it is, that’s the last I spend on realm.