PT: Oryx 3, Bard, and Livestream

Hello! We are starting a new public testing session today which will last until Monday (though we may have a few breaks for maintenance).

This new public testing session covers:

• The soon to release Bard class, featuring the new Lute ability.
  • An in-development version of Oryx 3, also known as Oryx’s Sanctuary!

At the time of posting this, a livestream will be starting in 5-10 minutes! Join the design team and more in a preview of the dungeon, and get some early tips on mechanics and monsters!

Bard

The Bard is available to play throughout his public testing session! The class is built around a group range-boosting ability. Some of you may already be familiar with this class from previous sessions. However, as this is the first implementation of the class on the Unity client, it is worth still being aware of possible new bugs.

Class Stats:

• Max HP: 670
  • Max MP: 385
  • Attack: 50
  • Defense: 25
  • Speed: 55
  • Dexterity: 70
  • Vitality: 45
  • Wisdom: 75

Ability Stats:

Tier Inspired Mult Inspired Duration Energized Duration Radius MP Cost Cooldown Def Bonus Fame Bonus
0 1.25 3 0 4.5 70 4 0 0
1 1.25 3.5 0 4.5 75 4.5 0 0
2 1.25 4 1.5 4.5 80 5 2 0
3 1.25 4.5 1.5 4.5 85 5.5 3 1
4 1.25 5 2.5 4.5 90 6 4 2
5 1.25 5.5 2.5 4.5 95 6.5 5 3
6 1.25 6 3 4.5 100 7 6 4
7 1.25 6.5 3 4.5 105 7.5 7 4

T6 +20HP +20MP
T7 +40HP +40MP

There are also a handful of in-development experimental UT lutes to try out, so give them a look too!

Oryx’s Sanctuary

At last we arrive at Oryx’s Sanctuary, home of Oryx 3! Normally you’d need three runes to access this dungeon over a defeated O2, but on testing you will be able to access portals generated in the nexus.

ART DISCLAIMER

The dungeon’s aesthetics are still a work in progress in multiple areas! This includes but is not limited to:

• The Oryx Minister, Ambassador, and Judge monsters reusing the sprite of Archbishop Leucoryx.

• The portals created by the Oryx Minister and Ambassador being taken from the Untaris teleporters.

• Oryx 3 missing several intended animations where he will more distinctly telegraph attacks with special movements.

• The final room of the Gemsbok branch using old, simpler art that does not match the style of the rest of the environments.

• The lack of fully decorated environmental design, as most rooms are relatively blank.

Please keep this in mind as you test!

Dungeon Structure

Upon entering Oryx’s Sanctuary, you will be spawned into a branch linked to a specific miniboss (the ones that have been recently teased on our weekly blog posts). Although there are only three rooms between the spawning area and the miniboss, each one is large in size and cannot simply be ran through. You and your party will need to defeat the majority of the enemies found in each room. Depending on which miniboss branch you are on, a specific family of minions will be especially prominent.

Each branch ends at a miniboss room. Once defeated, the path will progress toward Oryx’s final boss room no matter which branch your group came from. Please note that although there are four branches and four minibosses, one of them is not currently available for this PT session. You will be able to experience the branches for Treasurer Gemsbok, Chancellor Dammah, and Archbishop Leucoryx.

Staggers and Counters

Oryx’s Sanctuary emphasizes a new design system known as staggering and countering. Both revolve around dealing a certain amount of damage in designated windows of opportunity. For example, skillfully managing to deal a good chunk of damage to Oryx 3 during a phase where he’s harder to hit will stagger him. This not only dynamically interrupts his attack, but also provides a few seconds where he will remain still and allow your group to pile on free damage.

Counters are the same in execution but opposite in effect. Dealing excessive damage at times when Oryx is on guard will result in him shielding himself for a brief moment. If damaged beyond this final warning, he will block further damage and release a counter onto the group in the form of a status effect based on the kind of counter triggered. For Oryx, these counters can come in the form of inescapable (unpurifiable) Weak, Quiet, Sick, and Exposed for a set period of time. A smart team will ultimately be better off if you’re wise enough to not throw on heaps of damage recklessly at ill-advised times.

Treasurer Gemsbok

At the end of the gilded branch is Treasurer Gemsbok, a crafty hoarder with the power of teleportation. You’ll have to be light on your feet to keep up with his erratic positioning, and it may be worth splitting your party up to guard each of his potential teleporting locations to maximize damage windows. With enough damage, you can even stagger him out of his teleportation for a big damage opportunity!

Gemsbok’s special move will cause him to create three coins in a triangle formation and direct one of them to blink. You’ll have to very carefully watch the blinking coin to track it as it shuffles around. Choosing the right one after the sequence concludes will cause a massive stagger on Gemsbok, allowing you to take off a huge chunk of his health and skip most of his next phase.

Chancellor Dammah

The arrogant Chancellor Dammah resides in his offices. So arrogant, in fact, that he’ll get mad if you don’t let him finish his self-aggrandizing speech at the start of the fight.

Dammah’s specialty is his use of portals as a weapon. He wields two types, both deadlier than they look, and may sometimes even summon sharp weapons when he’s feeling a bit more creative. With enough damage you can stagger the chancellor when he summons his giant portals. Dammah especially hates those who don’t respect him, he’ll counter you if you try to take him down too quickly!

Archbishop Leucoryx

In the recesses of his cathedral lurks Archbishop Leucoryx. Seeing himself as an authority over light and darkness, the Archbishop powers himself through the command of his orbs. If he is successfully able to summon energy orbs to power himself, his attacking style will evolve based on how many orbs he receives and which type they are.

Though Leucoryx is anything but mobile, his battle tasks you with many objectives to control and observe. His ability to summon holy beam strikes from above can create areas of denial, requiring tight maneuvering around other sources of projectiles.

Oryx the Mad God 3

Oryx is defended by three messengers, serving as the perfect shield for Oryx and rendering him forever Invulnerable. But if you were to damage each of them enough their power would weaken, leaving Oryx vulnerable to your attacks.

Oryx features both counters and staggers with their specific animations, so pay close attention to his stance when attacking him as it could be fatal.

The fight features several elements from his close partners. As the fight goes on, Oryx obtains the ability to summon portals like Dammah, beams from the sky like Leucoryx, or teleport around the room like Gemsbok.

Oryx’s special move involves beams falling from the sky constantly while his portals reduce your range of movement, during which he’ll fill the arena with incredibly deadly shots. He’ll use this move at least once during the fight, but then Oryx can start using it instead of one of his regular attacks so plan accordingly! It’s more than just a one-and-done rage phase!

That’s the gist of everything, but there’s still plenty you’ll just have to see for yourself! We hope you enjoy this in-development version of Oryx’s Sanctuary, and please leave all feedback and concerns in this thread!

Is bard necssary in modern rotmg?

Hi! This is Lily here, and I made all the stats for the UTs and ST set for Bard!
Today, I am going to be spending my time explaining what each of them do and the reasoning I have for making these UTs.

Stats Disclaimer
I have recently updated these UTs/STs on Tuesday before the PT session, but due to unseen circumstances, the changes were not pushed for this testing session. Here is the list of changes that I made.

• Fixed Lullaby’s lambs to actually heal you (currently, they don’t).
  • Nerfed Lullaby’s lamb heals to 15, set a damage threshold (25) and added a 1 second cooldown to the proc.
  • Changed Wavecrest Concertina and Snake Charmer’s Inspired durations and ranges so that they have a downside to using them over tiered lutes.
  • Nerfed Wavecrest Concertina’s damage.
  • Nerfed Angel’s Fanfare’s radii and the amount of HP boosted so that it is not straight up better than a Paladin’s ability.

If you agree or disagree with these changes, let me know! I am looking to make these UTs as balanced or fun as possible!

UTs

Due to Bard’s incredibly group-reliant playstyle, I decided to make the UTs more self-oriented. One of the main flaws I found in playing general bard was that it was incredibly boring when playing solo. Thus, I decided that some UTs would spice up the general gameplay.
At this time, I also found out that new procs were being added and I could play with new activates for Bard. My UTs will feature one different type of proc each.

Wavecrest Concertina
bardUTConcertina-rendered-20200507-193438
The first thing that came to mind when I was thinking of something that Bard should have is a form of DPS option. With the recent nerf to Bard’s ATK and the changes in tiered lutes to use DEF instead of ATK, Bard is rightfully inferior to Archer and Huntress in DPS. With that in mind, I decided to make the first UT a DPS oriented Lute.
I started with the theme: where in the game’s progression could a solid damage-dealing option for bard be used? My mind immediately jumped to midgame, and from there, I thought of Jon Bilgewater and his parrots. How cool would it be to be able to summon parrots as you fight?
Using this idea, I made use of the new On Player Shoot proc to allow you to summon parrots when you fight. Each of these parrots last for 3 seconds and deal 300 damage in total. However, to make use of it, you will also have to get closer to your enemies. On top of the practically free extra damage, this ability also boosts your range and gives you +4 ATK and +4 DEX, which helps with your DPS a lot.
(just for some trivia points: before I changed it to an accordion, this item was going to be named “Seafaring Fiddle”.)

Lullaby
bardUTLullaby-rendered-20200507-193445
Everybody loves those adorable sheep that graze outside of your vault! But what if they had super awesome powers stored inside of them?
I wanted a more curveball type of UT for this one. When you use your ability, it spawns a sheep that will follow you around like a pet! Not only that, but those sheep are highly effective at weakening your opponents. I thought that since Weak is already being used as a status effect in some items and that it’s not exactly super powerful, there might as well be an efficient and somewhat obtainable method of weakening your foes!
Since these Sheep zap enemies, the effect is rather weak (no pun intended) in large groups and the weaken effect cannot be applied to enemies that are invulnerable.
What about the secondary effect? When you are hit, you may notice that miniature sheep also spawn. For these, I decided to add a little bonus. When you get hit, a lamb will spawn and after 5 seconds, it will heal you and disappear. Although this feature is rather useless if you have a good pet or are in a large group, it has its merits for when you do not have a good pet (or none) and for when IC/OOC drops.
As for where this will drop… have you heard of a secret sheep level?

Snake Charmer
bardUTSnakeCharmer-rendered-20200507-193450
This one was kind of an afterthought; my initial concept for this was basically what Lullaby is, but I decided that it would be way too powerful for a UT item from Snake Pits. Thus, I reworked it to be a form of speed-oriented item.
With the new On Ability Activate, I decided to give the item a secondary effect to make the primary effect of the item even more reliable. By itself, this item will boost your speed by 15. However, every 15 seconds, you could get an additional Speedy buff with your +15 speed, making you go even faster. Overall, this is just a good item for if you want speed.

ST Set

Ah yes, the set with a sheep as the placeholder skin. Since all of the UTs were self-oriented, I decided to go with a full-on support based ST set.
Let me introduce all of the items:

Harmonious Harp
bardSTHarp-rendered-20200507-193458
How many double shot bows are there in game? That’s right; two. Well, to ruin that perfect number, I decided to make this bow a rather slow double shot bow.
I noticed that the main niche of the coral bow is to clear groups. Thus, I decided that as a double bow, the main intent should be to clear groups.

This is the DPS chart for the bow. (The doom bow on the graph is this Harp). As you can see, compared to Leaf Bow and Void Bow, this bow keeps the same approximate damage as those two, but has a way steeper slope, meaning that if you want damage, you should really go for a more reliable DPS option due to the incredibly low shot speed of this item. It also pierces, giving it some form of use over Leaf Bow.
Why did I go for a low shot speed? Well, Bard’s Inspire actually increases range by increasing the shot speed of the item. Thus, to work with the Bard’s ability, I purposely made the shot speed low as the speed can be increased. Additionally, lower shot speed works better for group clearing and it looks way better with music notes.

Angel’s Fanfare
bardSTLute-rendered-20200507-193502
This one is a fun one. The bulk of the set’s ability is put into this one lute.
I’ll make this very simple:
When you’re wearing only the lute, you only have a standard Inspired.
When you’re wearing any one of the other pieces of the set, the lute gains a group Healing.
When you’re wearing any two of the other pieces of the set, the lute gains a group +75 HP (with wismod; I nerfed this to 50 already)
When you’re wearing the full set, the lute gains a group +5 DEF (with wis mod for a net +8 DEF).
Basically, when this lute is by itself, it is the worst part of the set. However, with the full set, I believe that this set would be a very solid support option for Bard. (Of course, if you want passive stat bonuses and Energized along with a longer duration for Inspired, I’d suggest you stick to a tiered lute).

Mantle of Sanctity
bardSTWing-rendered-20200507-193508
This is just a standard robe that gives a good amount of MP, DEX and WIS. I have nothing really to say.

Heavenly Halo
bardSTHalo-rendered-20200507-193454
This is just your standard ST ring. Might be on the better side; it has +70 HP, +50 MP and +6 WIS, which is a good option if you need WIS. Additionally, when used with the robe, you also gain a fair amount of WIS and DEX with it.

Stat Bonuses
I went for more of a wis and dex oriented build for this set. (Yes yes I’m going to fix the 2-piece and 3-piece bonuses being switched around). Please leave comments on the final set bonuses. Are they too powerful? Too weak?

Anyway, feedback on everything will be highly appreciated! I want to make these items as balanced as possible, so every bit of feedback will help!
Needless to say, enjoy your testing session!

Despite being in development still, will the runes be single use or will they have a limited/unlimited number of uses? The bard also looks very interesting, can’t wait to try it!

What The Actual Heck Have You Brought Upon Us

Hype! Can’t wait to try these out!!

Edit: tidbits from the stream

According to stellalumi, this was made only by DECA, no UGC (although they gave feedback)

Runes will drop from multiple places like shatters, will not be consumed if you do not finish the boss

Sword: nests, shatts, fungal

Helm: LH

Shield: realm event bosses

T15 armor and t14 weapons (950 FP) confirmed ALONG WITH T7 abilities, no plans for t7 rings, still not tradable obviously

Each miniboss will have a whitebag drop

No marks

P3 himself will have whites too! holy moly

There will be a system where using them (But failing to unlock oryx3) will return the rune to you. Otherwise they will be single-use. By the looks of it, we will likely continue with that system.

DECA, you tuned the numbers of bard’s ability, but no tuning is going to make him class a good or even decent idea, because frankly, Bard is unabalanced and terrible by concept; think of the 2 biggest balance problems you’re (supposedly) trying to fix right now: 1 - The excessive ability spam caused by the mp recovery of pets, leaving everyone healed massively and permabuffed, addressed by In-Combat. 2 - Meta overcentralization of sword classes compared to others, addressed by various nerfs to their support capabilities.

All of this would have been effective, if not for your idea of creating this class that shoots these changes in the foot, Bard’s inspired makes melees even more overpowered by softening their only weakness, short range, and effectively undoes In-Combat’s lowering of ability spam by giving everyone in the group over a maxed rare worth of extra mp recovery, and ontop of that, Bard continues the trend of buffing and healing classes being completely uninteractive, you just press spacebar and the effect happens in an area around you, this destroys room for creativity and the existence of a skill ceiling for the abilities that can be learned.

So in summary, this class not only practically singlehandedly reverts the 2 most needed balance changes you were planning, and continues a bad trend among classes that restricts their potential, what were you even thinking with this one? Is this intentional? Not to come across as accusatory, but the context makes it suspiciously seem like an intentional attempt at sabotaging those changes when looked at this way. This class is just a bad idea in its’ current state and needs a major rework. Why not a minor buff to all stats you get by rhythmically pressing spacebar depending on which lute you use? Anything that doesn’t enforce ability spam, melee meta and stale abilities would be an improvement.

Thanks for clarifying the failsafe measure, that’s great to know ahead of time!

Your expectations for the restraint of realm players (or really any large group of people) is FAR to high. I will bet you that o3 will ALWAYS be staggered. Mobs are braindead, if they see that the enemy can be damaged, they will damage it.

I replaced your “table” with one that actually works. you may want to double check it for errors though.

Why is the seal so very similar to the current Gcockie…

How do i actually access public testing after the stream?

I’m trying to download the Exalt launcher for the test server but it’s not working. Do I have to use flash?

I suggest that the dungeon opens up in the nexus every 5-10 minutes so it’s more organized with more people waiting instead of just going in whenever. Also hopefully you guys make the option to hide players soon and please don’t nerf O3 as people will complain because “the endgame boss is hard”.

you literally did not beat it once without invulnerability.

From what I can tell, the phase where everyone died has no dodge room whenever oryx circles past you.

I saw two people without the invulnerability that survived, so there must be a way

rip new tops wont be tradeable nor will the t13 weps and t14 armor

I’m most excited for the T14 Staff of the Fundamental Core, being someone who literally can’t get a Vital Unity for their life and soul. O3 was what we needed. Hard phases, brutal damage, low accessibility. However, that is not what separates it from Lost Halls, Shatters and Crystal Cavern. The differences are two. The mechanics do not allow pure dps spam and promote thinking instead of deleting everything with a Tablet wizard. The boss is a true bullet hell boss. It’s not a simple instakill boss like Shatters, and it’s not one that requires you to tank with Marble Seals, GCookies and Puris, like Marble Defender and The Void Entity. I wouldn’t nerf O3’s Exalted Phase. Players have been looking for a challenge, and this is it.

please do not nerf oryx 3