EXP Distribution is Incorrectly Handled, or 'Why did I get no fame?!'

Have you ever missed the fame on a boss such as parasite or O2? With how much fame they hand out this can be a frustrating thing to experience. But why does it happen? Simply put, fame/experience is granted to players nearby the player who gets the killing blow on an enemy. This results in classes with server sided abilities (sorc, assassin, or necro) or low latency sniping the kill and XP more often than not, and if you’re not near them when it happens you will not receive the fame. Why is it like this? Probably because it was a simple way for Wildshadow to design party lvl up tracking and shared exp. I firmly believe ‘missing fame’ is an unintended result of how the system is designed and that it must be redesigned.

The easiest way of fixing this issue would be handing out fame/experience in a radius around the enemy and not around the killing blow player. That’s it, really. This’d also help you from missing quest completes. I really hope this is in the Fame Rework, do you?

Here’s an graphic I made displaying how this unintended ‘bug’ works. The red circle is where the fame is being distributed. Sizes not accurate.:

Trivial Issues Thread

This is probably an issue for a separate thread; “Trivial Issues” refers to things like spelling mistakes or a sprite having a tiny error in its coloring. I’ll see if the @moderators can split this off into its own category for you.

But I do definitely agree with you- there have been many times where I’ve been at Oryx and wasn’t standing close enough to whoever dealt the final blow and I’ve ended up missing the fame.

Done

Imo Deca should make it so that you’ll also get the fame if you’re in a ~12 tile radius around the monster, perhaps even higher if you’ve gotten sb damage.

Is it supose for you not to get fame when you kill oryx 2 almost 3 tiles away from him?

I still don’t understand why you don’t get fame sometimes even being with the group and close to the boss.

I edited the OP and added a graphic visualizing why this bug happens. I hope you and others can understand this bug so that public awareness may be raised. DECA’s fame rework needs to address issues like this, along with other glaring issues and poor design choices attributed to fame.

This needs to change. I pretty much only do oryx for fame or events. And not getting the fame is really bad :confused:

Holy shit I never realized and that explains some of the unexpected behaviour I have seen exactly.

This is why only 1 group got fame back when you could insta void?

Since the groups were seperated from each other?

Huh.

I’ve noticed this too, quite annoying through i don’t care that much about Fame.

It usually happens (to me atleast) on Tombs or Parasites.

Wow thanks for for enlightening us. I’ve always put the blame on lag; as with most unpleasant things in this game.

What happens if the person who deals the killing blow nexuses (like an assassin)? Is it the same reason why others can gain XP from enemies your pet [exclusively] killed while you cannot?

I believe that in cases where credit for the actual kill cannot be assigned the fame gets sent to whoever is standing the closest to the enemy, and then distributed like normal. practical examples of this are enemies who cannot actually be killed, and instead use the Decay or Explode behavior for a death animation of some sort, like all 3 shatters bosses and MBC.

I’m maybe a little surprised there’s so much surprise over this, it has been this way forever, for all enemies.

Gotta mention that the explaining image is a bit too extreme:
The XP-granting range is I believe something like 12 tiles? Usually if you are in sight range of the killer, you get the XP. It is certainly larger than a sceptre’s possible range so the image is actually impossible, the XP circle should be larger than the sceptre blast.

Something like this would be more realistic representation using OP’s drawing and taking the sprite sizes as the approx scale:

Assassin is of course possible to kill something while really far away, that’s the most outrageous case where it would benefit from also assigning XP based on being near to the quest dying instead/as well as the killer location, or if you’ve hit soulbound dmg, perhaps.

All this didn’t really matter when XP awarded from these things was a pittance, of course (the way it was designed…) but now we have such chunks of XP people get annoyed to miss out. Consequences of not thinking design changes through.

Perhaps having a “dying” phase as @Xaklor mentions is the answer they need to incorporate whenever they wish to put high amounts of XP on a boss and not just hike the XP without doing a proper enemy redesign. In-realm quest enemies you can also very easily miss out on the XP-award, if you consistently fight those from the “wrong” side.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.