Random PC Crashes during Realm

For quite a while I’ve been suffering from random crashes without any indication whatsoever while playing games, in this case limited to Portal 2, TF2, and Realm. These also occurred while leaving said game unattended.

My brother is more technically experienced than me, and after asking the advice of him and some of his techfriends, the conclusion was taken that it was my PC’s PSU that was (most likely) to blame.
As such, I ordered a new one two days ago, and installed it today.

However, a crash still occurred. The only possibility of this thus occurring is due to the power cable or the cable that connects it…
I’m at a complete loss here.

For the specs that matter:

Processor: AMD-FX 6300 6-core 3500 MHz
Graph. card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
PSU: Cooler Master G550M
Operating System: Windows 10

Another detail: the crashes are listed in the event log with EventID 6008.

So your computer just randomly shuts off with no warning or anything? or the game crashes?

Yes. No sound, no visual indication, just a black screen - like I just pulled the cable out.

It’s likely that your computer is taking more power than your psu supplies I know you ordered a new one but I would suggest going to some website that can calculate your power usage I don’t have a problem with it so I would suggest pcpartpicker (search it up on google) and put in your specs then it should tell you how much your estimated power usage is, after that I would strongly suggest going at least 50 above that but 100 is a lot better especially if you plan on running a lot of things at once

I’ve seen such a comparison of different PSUs, but if that were so, it’d’ve been happening since I got my PC - which it didn’t.

That FX-6300 running at 3.5GHz and that GTX 960 sucks alot of power. That 550W PSU needs to be replaced. It’s probably bad.

well as you use your computer you naturally use more things from the factory version but you are right, try changing your outlet like go to a different spot in your house if it doesn’t happen anymore then it’s probably wiring.
Edit:before doing that test if it’s actually your psu by searching up stress test and try that.

I have indeed changed the cable from the old one to the one delivered with the new PSU, so I’ll be testing that for now.
If you’re wondering, the cable is currently plugged in one of those multi-outlet connectors that grant you more outlets for one.

Plug it directly into the wall, that could be the source of the problem

OK then try using just a normal outlet or like I said switching to a different outlet in your house

It’s a trap!

jk

Problem is, there’s a total of 4 wall outlets in my room: 2 next to my desk, and 2 around my bed.
Both of those near my desk are being used, one for the multioutlet and one for my WiFi adapter (used to have that plugged in the multi, but after negative experiences that changed).

I also switched the mutli just now, the one I was using was pretty darn old anyways.

@Seelpit if it still doesn’t work I would try calling your electric company I don’t really bother calling tech support because most likely they would say the same thing we did

try again after switching the multioutlet

hope you got it from a reputable brand like Belkin

If it’s your PSU then it probably shouldn’t just be crashing, if your PC wasn’t getting enough power wouldn’t it just turn off? I’ve never heard of this kind of problem so I might be wrong.

Try checking your CPU and making sure it isn’t overheating, if you haven’t already.

Does this include the light on the back of your pc showing it is receiving power? I’m not an expert on this topic but that certainly sounds like an important detail.

It does indeed receive power, as far as I know. It’s somewhat hard to see from my position, though, since that light’d be at the very back of my PC, which faces away from me.

This might also be a possibility. I should probably mention that before installing my new PSU, the old one was upside-down - the fan not pointing towards the motherboard as it should.

Sadly, it still crashed after the multioutlet change. However, this was while I was playing TF2 - by far the heaviest game of the trio of games I named - for a longer period of time than before the new PSU, but after the crashes started occurring. Overheating might be a possibility, so I hope I can still trade-in the new PSU…somehow.

Do you mean the CPU fan? You might be using a different kind of fan/heatsink than me, but Im pretty sure it’s not supposed to face towards the motherboard, the heatsink should.

This video states otherwise, though…

Oh, yeah, I thought you meant the CPU’s fan, not the PSU.