Realmafia: Dungeons (Mafia won)

Welcome back to Realmafia! Boy howdy it’s been a long time since the last one but I sure hope this one will have been worth the wait. Realmafia is a mafia game once hosted by Toastrz several years ago that I have transformed into something vastly more interesting. The game’s been hosted here all this time because it used to be rotmg themed and I haven’t the foggiest idea where else to put these, but by this point it has no connection whatsoever.

Like last time I’ll be putting exposition and lore dumping and such on the discord server (link at the bottom) since I know no one will actually read any of this and it’ll be a waste of time. This one should be less restrictive than Realmafia: Corruption, but should still have plenty for you to bounce off of as you invent whatever crazed fantasies you come up with.

Click HERE if you're new and need all the tiresome rule stuff that most of the rest of you want to skip

It’s a battle of wits between the innocent Civilians and the evil Mafia! The only thing stopping you from punting the traitors is… well, you don’t know who’s who! The civilians win when all Mafia are successfully eliminated, while the Mafia win once they outnumber or match the amount of living civilians. Approximately 20% of the players are mafia-aligned, the exact number will be made known before the game begins.

When the game begins, every player will be privately informed of their randomly decided role. You know the truth about yourself, but unless you’re in the Mafia, everyone else is not necessarily trustworthy. It’s a game about uncertainty and the ability to convince others of your arguments and reasoning.

This should really go without saying, but it is forbidden to share proof of private host messages to confirm your role with anyone else, even non-players. There are no prizes for winning, this is all just for fun, so I ask that all players keep with the spirit of the game and not defeat the purpose of it. You are completely free to declare yourself as any role (regardless of whether or not it’s true) with a statement like “I am the Doctor,” but you are not allowed to definitively prove it with information outside of the game mechanics.

In each Day phase, all living players can publicly share their suspicions and vote against someone with the idea being to vote out a Mafia member. The Mafia members participate in these debates as well, except their intent is to convince others of voting out innocent people instead of themselves. The person with the most votes by the end of the phase will be executed/lynched and removed from the game. If the votes result in a tie, then the tied players will typically either guess a number or do Rock Paper Scissors during the following Night phase.

In each Night phase, players will not be able to speak in the public channel. During this phase, the Mafia team selects one person to assassinate during the night, and each special innocent role will choose who to use their abilities on during the night. This phase lasts until all parties have made their decisions, within reason.

You can choose not to vote (abstain) and change your vote as much as you’d like until the given deadline. If any player goes without posting for too long (two in-game phases), they’ll get the inactivity boot, which will occur alongside the majority vote. Keeping relatively quiet is a valid strategy, but you must at least meet this minimum threshold of participation.

Any murders by the Mafia and executions by majority vote will be noted at the start of the following Day phase, with the roles of the dead revealed. Innocent special roles like the Doctor are often who the Mafia want gone the most. Dead players and folks who never joined cannot vote or try swaying people’s votes. There will be a spectator room on the Discord server that players cannot see, but these spectators should not privately contact players about the game, whether that be through Discord PMs, being a part of another server that they are in, or talking in RotMG itself.

Here’s all the stuff that’s different from a typical mafia game, if you’re new you MUST read this section:

So here’s the twist that separates this experience from a typical mafia-like game: in addition to being given a role, you will also be given a “persona”, or character that you must perform as. You must remain in-character at all times, and you must prioritize your character’s personal motivations and your act of sticking to the character over actually trying to win the game, regardless of team. So if I give you a persona who is looking for ingredients to make a sausage roll, you must prioritize finding those ingredients from other players over playing the “game”. The actual mafia game really is not the point of these games, approach it more as an elaborate roleplay session. In Metamorphosis we actually had the final mafia member stop killing players on their own, and the non mafia characters didn’t bother trying to kill him. In Corruption the game basically approached a complete stalemate as everyone’s best interests quickly turned to something else. So don’t think too hard about the mafia part of the game, alright?

As an example of a persona, I’ll show you a couple from previous games. Partially because I will have to write more personas as more people sign up, but partially because I want to point out something that’s part of a persona but is kept secret from most other players:

You are Skullbot 3000. Contrary to your name, you are actually a very pleasant fellow and do your best to get along with everyone you meet. You were originally an experimental project of Mia Tinkercusp who was accidentally imbued with self-awareness. Mia chose to let you go afterwards, as it didn’t feel right to keep you like you were another belonging. you want to become more human as you can tell you lack certain features of a true sentient being. You believe these fragments are somehow capable of granting a human heart, among other things, as it was likely Mia’s fragment that accidentally granted you self-awareness in the first place. Also, you are 7 times stronger than a human and have armor plating that would put tanks to shame.

You cannot be defeated in any kind of combat. You are not immune to being killed by the mafia or by lynching, but no character can harm you outside of normal game mechanics.

You are Stella Clairvoya, a fortune teller from a distant country on a pilgrimage around the world for personal reasons. Whether or not you’re capable of determining the future or communicating with the spirits is entirely irrelevant to the level of enthusiasm you have for the subject. No matter how many times you end up being wrong, you never let the haters get to you and continue regardless. You’re also very short and love horses and horse analogies.

Once each night phase you can identify another character’s secret trigger. These revelations must be kept secret, but this ability doesn’t have to be. Your revelations may sometimes contain more or less information than what was given to the person being identified.

This is what would be sent to your DMs if you were given the Skullbot 3000 or Stella Clairvoya persona. You would behave as you imagine these characters would do, and you would be welcome to fill in whatever blanks you feel I’ve left out, such as your current relationship with Mia Tinkercusp in the case of Skullbot 3000. There are some little details like that I leave up to your own interpretation, but you must stick to what I’ve explicitly written for you at least. Your discord nickname on the server would also temporarily be set to Skullbot 3000 [not a real boy] or Stella Clairvoya [Fortune Teller] to help you and others keep track of what you are at a glance.

Notice the second part is all bold. This is what I’ve come to call a “secret trigger”. This section is only given to you, it is not part of the public version of these persona descriptions and no one else is told about this. If you were playing Skullbot 3000 and for some reason there was a fight over someone’s mysterious fragment for example (something from last game, don’t worry about it much), you would be invincible in that fight if you chose to partake in it and could force the fragment from one person and keep it yourself. If someone tried fighting back, I as the host would ensure it would not harm you. You’ll get a feel for this sort of thing once we get started, trust me.

Some triggers are passive like Skullbot 3000’s, but others have a more active effect like Stella Clairvoya’s. If you were playing as her, you would get to control who you decided to use your divination powers on each night rather than having some passive effect enforced by myself. Others still can happen in response to certain events in the course of the game. This is to further incentivize you to engage with the setting and with other characters, because that’s how you can get these trigger effects to happen. Some are simple while others are extremely long and complex, some you are free to mention if you’d like to and others must be kept secret at all times, but the important point is that every persona has one. If you don’t see one, that means what triggers it is secret even to you, but rest assured you will still have one. If you’re ever uncertain about what parts of your secret trigger you’re allowed to talk about, ask me right away.

I think that’s everything that needs to be said about that, so here’s the roles that will be available in this game. It’s pretty much the same as last time, and you can expect future games to continue to have more bare-bones role lists in favor of more persona mechanics:

Civilian team roles:

Warrior (Civilian)

This is the most basic role. They have no powers and are on the Civilian team. Despite having no special abilities, they are the most common role and therefore have the most power in the daily voting. They must determine if they are on the right track or being misled on their own.

Priest (Doctor)

The Doctor is on the Civilian team, they have the power to defend anyone of their choosing from a mafia kill during the night. If the protected player is targeted by the mafia, they won’t die and it will be announced in the morning.

Paladin (Medic)

The Medic is on the Civilian team, and serves a similar role as the Doctor. On the first four turns of the game, the Medic can also heal other players, potentially saving them from death. On top of this, the Medic and Doctor start the game with their own private channel to speak with each other outside of the main text channel. This lets the two know for certain who the other one is, and how to efficiently handle the healing duties.

Sorcerer

Sorcerer (Deputy)

The Deputy is on the Civilian team. On the first four turns of the game, the Deputy can investigate another player and learn their true role. This is guaranteed to be accurate regardless of any obfuscation the mafia may be playing at.

Mafia team roles:

Assassin

Assassin (Mafioso)

Basic Mafia team member. Technically they have no special powers, but they work together in a private channel with their comrades and choose one person to assassinate during the night each turn. The game ends if the Mafia team members equal or outnumber the Nexus team members, or if all Mafia team members are killed.

Knight (Blocker)

The Blocker acts on the Mafia team. Each night he chooses a person to block, and that person’s special abilities are disabled for the night phase. However, no notification is sent to either the blocker or the public channel that a block successfully blocked someone capable of doing anything that can be blocked. The target of the block will be notified that they were blocked if they were a role that could be blocked.

Archer
Archer (Sniper)

The Archer’s mighty bow can pick off targets without giving an opportunity for medical intervention. His kills surpass protection from healing roles, ensuring a target’s death. However, the Sniper’s actions are not separate kills, but rather a modification to the Mafia’s daily decision. He can only use this power twice, so it is critical that he doesn’t waste it on people that the Mafia does not expect to be protected.

Normally here I’d put in a rundown of the server, but there are certain server structure changes I haven’t implemented yet because they’re related to things I haven’t written yet. So don’t worry about that, I’ll get you up to speed later if you’re really confused for some reason, but for the most part it should be clear once you join.

Sign-ups:

Unlike other games I haven’t pre-signed anyone on because of how long this has taken, and I fear that a nonzero amount of people I polled about this months ago don’t check in enough to notice I’ve been working on this again. There is still no player limit and I’ll add anyone who wants to join. I am not looking for any specific amount of players. You can sign up on here OR by DM’ing me on discord (Xaklor#2460) if you prefer. If you do sign up here, make sure to give me your discord tag so I can friend you. This is necessary in order to set up the mafia chatroom, if you don’t do this then I can’t let you play. Also don’t forget if you go an entire phase without speaking you will be warned for inactivity, and will be kicked if you do it again the next phase. Each day phase lasts 24 hours to give equal speaking opportunity to everyone around the world (we have players in the US, Europe, and Australia, it’s necessary trust me).

As for when the game starts, assume this thread will be up for at least a week to gather attention and give myself time to finish making final preparations as well as write extra personas and such. Make sure you can commit to a decent chunk of time since the game will take several days to complete. How many days depends on how many players we get and how quickly either side secures victory.

Current Roster:

1. HorusKane
  2. NubieDubie
  3. TROLLDLLR
  4. Ludfru
  5. SirSpud
  6. EpicNecros
  7. Platformz
  8. Sadfahlsdj
  9. Nameness
  10. WindowsHD
  11. GammaGamer
  12. NyanGamer
  13. Ruby.
  14. Geo

Here’s the server invite: https://discord.gg/FnP5XUz
Even if you don’t plan on participating, join the server! Fingers crossed this one will be good even if you’re just watching.

4 of us have just joined via discord lmao

giving this a ping so it looks like it has some activity on the forums

hi im in

It’s time. Count me in

I’m in

I’m in

(To anyone new to this, most of us aren’t giving are discord tags because we’ve participated in earlier rounds)

alright im down

I’ll join

the game has started!

After throwing her inhuman ally, Harry Howl under the bus, Mira Minato was terribly alarmed to discover that he was still in fact innocent. There was only one last desperate attempt to save the adventuring party, but sadly Shawn Gracefoot, the Doctor, was unable to save Ron Barpon from being killed in the night. The remaining three impostors, Henry Shortstop, Gobbo Stabby, and Micksen S. Dotson revealed themselves to the remaining party for one final direct push to kill them all.

Mira Minato and Hugh Millaty both instantly fled the scene and went back home to their families since neither of them were that invested in the Orb of Life to begin with and their families are too important. Shawn Gracefoot on the other hand made a valiant last stand with the supreme power of his DANCE. It’s a bit unclear what exactly happened, because when it looked like Shawn was about to be overcome he suddenly vanished and no one knows where he went. The best hypothesis available is that he accidentally plane-shifted into the DANCE dimension and doesn’t know how to get back.

Flushed with pride, the mafia trio descended the final staircase into the dragon’s lair to report to their master that their mission was a success. “Master Barg, we have good news!” called out Gobbo Stabby as he entered the room. But there was no reply, instead Gobbo’s “good news” was instantly converted to “bad news”.

Barg the Red Dragon is dead.

Confused and shocked, Gobbo turned around to his allies to ask what had happened, but no such luck. Both Henry Shortstop and Micksen S. Dotson were dead and on the ground, killed without making a sound. Panicking, Gobbo frantically looked around for whatever invisible assassin was responsible so he could defend himself. The last thing Gobbo experienced before the darkness was a knife blade bursting through his chest and a voice gently whispering in his ear:

"Hail Pthaloptulhu."

And that’s the game! Sorry that the Mafia win denied you your dragon boss fight but I think the flesh nightmare scorpion and mech bird from hell were both good so it’s not like you got nothing. I can’t promise when you can expect the next game, but I’d be much more motivated if we had more players to work with. If anyone has suggestions for where to look for people who like roleplaying and/or mafia games then hit me up. I tried Mafia Universe but got no responses. Anyway here’s your stats stuff:

Special Roles

Blocker: NubieDubie [Gobbo Stabby]
Sniper: TROLLDLLR [Micksen S. Dotson]
Mafiosos: Ludfru [Gortak the Mighty] and Mal [Henry Shortstop]

Doctor: HorusKane [Shawn Gracefoot]
Medic: herb [Henry Falconer]
Deputy: Ruby. [Mira Minato]

Nightly Actions

Town lynches:
Day 1: Nameness
Day 2: no one
Day 3: no one
Day 4: no one
Day 5: Ludfru
Day 6: SirSpud

HorusKane’s visits:
Night 1: Ruby.
Night 2: herb
Night 3: herb
Night 4: WindowsHD
Night 5: Ruby.
Night 6: WindowsHD

Herb’s visits:
Night 1: Kramen
Night 2: Ruby.
Night 3: HorusKane

Ruby.’s investigations:
Night 1: herb
Night 2: WindowsHD
Night 3: GammaGamer
Night 4: HorusKane

Mafia kills:
Night 1: Kramen
Night 2: herb
Night 4: Kramen
Night 5: GammaGamer
Night 6: NyanGamer

NubieDubie’s blocks:
Night 1: Ruby.
Night 2: GammaGamer
Night 3: Kramen
Night 4: HorusKane
Night 5: HorusKane
Night 6: HorusKane

TROLLDLLR’s powers:
Night 4: Kramen

Daily Summaries

Day 1:

After a productive day of dungeon crawling, the party decided to play a game of russian roulette to unwind a bit. The four participants, Gortak, Gobbo, Ron, and Magica have all given me numbers between 1 and 1000, and here are the results:

Gobbo Stabby: 420
Gortak the Mighty: 102

Magica Flamespitter: 502

Ron Barpon: 700

What you didn’t know is that I didn’t tell any of the four how I was determining who died from the results. Prior to rolling the number, I decided that whoever was second closest to the secret number would be killed. And that magic number is: 773.

Magica Flamespitter has bit the dust, victim to her own hubris for choosing the “safe” number. She was a Civilian.

Despite receiving intelligence that there are some double agents among your party, it seems no one was killed during the night for some reason. Looks like your party’s Medic is on top of things! Good job.

Day 2:

It seems no one’s interested in a repeat of yesterday, so nothing happened.

It also seems the Doctor is making sure nothing else happens during the night. No one died.

Day 3:

Despite the kerfuffle with the hammer theft and camp-wide fire, there were not enough votes for a lynch again.

Unfortunately it seems the mafia are done messing around. The Sniper has taken things into their own hands, decisively killing Henry Falconer without leaving any opportunity for medical intervention. On top of being a leading force in dungeon exploration, Henry Falconer was also the Medic. The remaining adventurers are going to really need to kick things into gear here to recover from this serious loss. It’s war now.

Day 4:

Still no lynches. Perhaps the following may change your mind?

The Sniper’s reign continues, this time blasting Henrietta Stonesworth’s brains out. She was only a Civilian, but without her or Henry Falconer morale may be at an all-time low. You’re sitting ducks out here!

It gets worse. Some unknown, unexplained monster has broken into the camp and slaughtered Lance Lancelot in his sleep as well. Whatever the heck it was, his remains were horrifically shredded, but you were at least able to determine he was still a Civilian.

Also, there are 10 players and 4 mafia. Odds are good either today or the day after will be the last day, depending on whether or not you lynch and whether or not your lynch is correct. Choose wisely. The dungeon isn’t the only thing worth taking a look at, this is still a mafia game.

Day 5:

Pinning down Gortak the Mighty for execution was trickier than anticipated given his strength and status immunity. But in a surprise twist, Gortak CRUSHED himself to prevent you from getting the satisfaction of taking him down yourself. Gortak was a Mafioso! Who would have thought that the person blindly destroying all the puzzles and actively being a hindrance was one of the enemies sent to hold you back?

Hannah Moongleam was killed during the night, it seems she may have stolen something from the mafia they didn’t like. That’s the only explanation I can come up with, I wasn’t given one myself. Hannah Moongleam was a Civilian.

You have bought yourselves another day with a maf kill, but without a successful heal you’re still on the brink of defeat. Choose your next target carefully.

Persona triggers and secrets

Gobbo Stabby:

Once each night this character chooses someone’s tent to rob, the items they get depend on the person robbed and are shown on the table below. This character steals before Hannah Moongleam does, but there are items they cannot steal as they don’t seem interesting.

Gortak the Mighty:

This character distrusts Henrietta Stonesworth because she isn’t made of MEAT.

Hannah Moongleam:

Once each night this character chooses someone’s tent to rob, the items they get depend on the person robbed and are shown on the table below. This character steals after Gobbo Stabby does, but there are items they can steal that Gobbo can’t.

Harry Howl:

This character is a werewolf, and night 4 has a full moon. They do not want to hurt anyone, but if they cannot acquire a sleeping potion to keep themselves asleep by night 4 they will kill a random other player. This effect does not repeat.

Henrietta Stonesworth:

This character is on a quest to destroy the Orb of Life so no one can have it and abuse its powers for evil. They cannot be dissuaded on this quest under any circumstances. The Orb can only be destroyed with this character’s anti-magic hammer, which can be stolen by either the mafia on death or by other effects (read: Gobbo or Hannah). The mission must be kept secret, but the hammer doesn’t have to be.

Henry Falconer:

This character just wants to be called “Henry” with no nicknames, last names, or adjectives getting involved. They will have to fight with Henry Shortstop for this right.

Henry Shortstop:

This character just wants to be called “Henry” with no nicknames, last names, or adjectives getting involved. They will have to fight with Henry Falconer for this right.

Hugh Millaty:

If this character is robbed by Gobbo Stabby, they will be woken up and use their charisma to convince Gobbo to hand over whatever loot they have stolen up to that point, leaving Gobbo empty-handed.

Lance Lancelot:

This character does not trust anyone else to take over their mission to cure the plague and needs to ensure they survive at all costs to carry this mission out. While the Orb’s powers are unclear and shrouded in myth and rumor, it IS capable of curing the plague.

If Hannah Moongleam attempts to rob this character she will be intimidated by the sheer number of bombs and back out without taking anything.

Magica Flamespitter:

This character must prioritize vengeance on the imp over the party’s interests.

Micksen S. Dotson:

This character must use the phrase “and should be specified in value” once each day phase or they will have to switch to the phrase “at org dot spong powered” instead. If they fail again, they will be revealed to secretly be a robot. The use of the phrases do not need to make sense in context.

Mira Minato:

This character can tell Harry Howl is a werewolf but doesn’t want to reveal it out of respect. They also know that night 4 is a full moon.

This character is also wary of Hugh Millaty since they fear Hugh has some holy power that can harm them. Hugh doesn’t, but they don’t know that.

Ron Barpon:

This character must tell a different story at least 10 messages long every day that is both unrelated to the adventure and to every other previous story or their behavior will be affected. In case it wasn’t obvious, I completely forgot this one existed until just now.

Shawn Gracefoot:

This character has a magic wardrobe filled with infinite clean outfits in case one gets dirty.

Stealable items and where they ended up:

Short freaking round right here

Realmafia?

Realmafia lore…? .-.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.