Realmafia: Eclipse - Round III [Mafia Won]

The heroes of the realm had now been defeated twice in a row by Oryx’s shockingly effective plot. He now controls every server with the exception of Australia, which has now become a hideout for what remains of the innocent population. But as Oryx’s dark power consumed the land, the sun itself went black. This was frightening at first, but the adventurers quickly saw this for the opportunity it presented. The Days and Nights that Oryx’s mob had come to rely upon were now gone, leaving only a perpetual eclipse. This could be there moment to strike, one last shot to reclaim the Nexus before Oryx enslaves them all. They know they’ve only got one chance, so they’ve brought out the A team and rallied every role they can.

Welcome to the third round of Realmafia! Now that the previous round has concluded, the next game has begun. We’ve got several new roles, some changes to existing ones, and a brand new Eclipse mechanic that will turn the game on its head. You can read more about that in the updated part of the “How To Play” section, though I would suggest that even returning players reread the full post to make sure they don’t miss any other changes.

Civilian Faction

Warrior
Warrior (Civilian)

Simply the standard, garden variety civilian. While our basic Warriors of the Nexus do not have any special abilities, their voice still plays a crucial role in voting and discussion during each in-game phase. They must defend themselves from false accusations of Mafia allegiance and convince others to join their vote for who they think is really in the Mafia.

Priest
Priest (Doctor)

The town physician participates as a civilian, but sends a private message to the host every in-game phase, choosing who he would like to aid. If he chooses the same person that the Mafia decides to strike, he will successfully heal them, shielding them from the attack and thwarting the Mafia’s potential kill that phase. Unlike past rounds, the Doctor can no longer self-heal or choose a second person to heal every other phase. This is due to the Medic role.

Paladin
Paladin (Medic)

This special supportive role acts as backup for the Doctor. Every other phase, the Medic gets to select a person to heal on top of the Doctor’s choice. The Doctor and Medic will know who each other are and receive a special group chat so that they can coordinate (the only non-Mafia roles that get this luxury of private communication). This essentially replaces the convoluted double heal action of the Doctor from previous rounds since it caused too much confusion with the Psychopath mechanics. It also has the added benefit of spreading out healing capabilities, meaning that the town is not entirely without a protector if either role dies. The Doctor and Medic cannot both heal the same person nor can they heal themselves, but they are allowed to heal each other so long as both are alive.

Mystic
Mystic (Sheriff)

Like the Doctor, the Sheriff sends a message to the host every phase specifying a person they would like to investigate. They will then receive a confirmation of that person’s role, even if they are the Don. This is extremely valuable knowledge, but they should be careful about how they convince the rest of the players in order to avoid drawing suspicion from the Mafia.

Necromancer
Necromancer (Gravedigger)

In three phases of his choosing, he can temporarily bring back a dead civilian (only standard civilians, no special roles) to speak their mind and help sway the discussion. They still count as being dead and will be silenced once again after the phase ends, but they are allowed to contribute to the conversation and make accusations (though they cannot actually vote, only convince others to do so). Multiple players cannot be brought back from the grave in the same phase, and this ability is also void if the game comes down to three players. In the event that the Gravedigger chooses to bring back a Don who has not yet been exposed, the choice will simply not count and they will be privately informed of the truth, though not allowed to reveal the information to other players.

Wizard
Wizard (Mimic)

A jack of all trades but a master of none. With his magic powers, the Mimic can emulate limited versions of the other special roles’ abilities. The Mimic can perform up to two healings and up to two investigations whenever he wishes as well as a single Gravedigger resurrection if the Gravedigger dies without ever using his ability himself. The Mimic can only do one action per phase, and despite technically being a healing role, it does not participate in secret chat with the Doctor and Medic or know who they are.

Rogue
Rogue (Vigilante)

The impatient Vigilante takes matters into his own hands. This role can independently choose to kill a person, but they only have two one-use daggers, so their killing is limited. The Vigilante has the potential to drastically influence a game for better or worse. Although he is aligned with the Civilians, he can end up killing anyone, so he must be very wise with who he chooses or if he should use his powers at all.

Mafia Faction

Assassin
Assassin (Mafioso)

The basic member of the Mafia. The Assassin will participate in a private group chat with the rest of his fellow traitorous do-badders. Here they will come to a consensus every phase about who to take out. They must also attempt to blend in with the other civilians during the game and participate in discussion, steering public opinion in favor of lynching an innocent person while not appearing suspicious themselves.

Trickster
Trickster (Don)

The Don behaves as a standard mafioso, but possess a unique passive ability. If they are lynched by the civilians, they themselves will be declared as a civilian in the death report at the start of the next phase. Their true identity will be revealed after two more in-game phases, but this can temporarily throw the civilian faction off the scent of other Mafia members, especially if they appeared to be cooperating in votes to a suspicious degree.

Ninja
Ninja (Psychopath)

A very special member of the Mafia who essentially acts as a suicide bomber. In any phase, the Psychopath can sacrifice himself to kill someone else on top of whoever the Mafia decides to strike in that phase. This can be a useful last-ditch effort, and overrides healing from the Doctor.

Furthermore, the Psychopath can potentially kill two people just by himself, resulting in a three civilian death toll in a single phase. If the Psychopath is lucky enough to choose a special civilian role, they will bomb the residence that they are visiting rather than the Doctor/Sheriff’s own home. This will kill both the chosen civilian as well as whoever they were healing/investigating that phase. This also applies if the Psychopath chooses the person being visited.

Each special role action takes place at a different time. For example, if the Sheriff investigates someone on the same phase that the Doctor chooses to heal whoever the Sheriff selected, the Sheriff does their investigation before the Doctor in the “timeline” of events. This means that a Psychopath going for the Doctor would not also get the Sheriff killed just because they chose the same people.

Knight
Knight (Blocker)

Each phase, the Blocker chooses a person to “stun” in order to prevent them from using any ability they may have. Because of this, the Blocker’s main goal is to figure out who the special roles are so that they can impede their actions, though they will not receive any confirmation of whether or not they managed to block anything. In the case of limited use roles like the Gravedigger, getting blocked will not cost them one of their moves. The action of the special role effectively never happened at all. Note that the Blocker needs to select the special role itself for the action to be blocked, not whoever the special role chose that phase.

Huntress
Huntress (Slow Killer)

The dastardly Slow Killer can set a trap in the home of a player that will go off at the end of the next phase. So for example, if the choice is made during phase 4, it will kill the victim at the end of phase 5, being listed along with the rest of the death report at the start of phase 6. However, this means that a healing role has time to disable it if they choose the victim after the trap is deployed but before it goes off, or the action can be made redundant if the chosen victim is lynched in the next phase anyway. The Slow Killer will recover their trap and receive a second chance to use their ability if either of these happen, but only once. This role is comparable to a delayed, lower risk Psychopath.

How To Play

It’s a battle of wits between the innocent denizens of the Nexus (civilians) and the defectors to Oryx’s legions (Mafia)! The only thing stopping you from gunning down the traitors like everything else in RotMG is… well, you don’t know who’s who! The civilians win when all Mafia are successfully eliminated, while the Mafia win once they outnumber or match the amount of living civilians. Approximately 25% of the cast is loyal to Oryx, though the exact number of Mafia players will not be made known.

When the game begins, every player will be privately informed of their randomly decided role. You know the truth about yourself, but unless you’re in the Mafia, everyone else is not necessarily trustworthy. It’s a game about uncertainty and the ability to convince others of your arguments and reasoning.

This should really go without saying, but it is forbidden to share proof of private host messages to confirm your role with anyone else, even non-players. There are no prizes for winning, this is all just for fun, so I ask that all players keep with the spirit of the game and not defeat the purpose of it. You are completely free to declare yourself as any role (regardless of whether or not it’s true) with a statement like “I am the Doctor,” but you are not allowed to definitively prove it with information outside of the game mechanics.

Unlike past rounds, Days and Nights are gone. All that remains is Eclipse phases. These act the same as Days, except all special roles must also make their decisions during this time rather than in a Night. All special roles must also supply a backup choice for who they wish to kill/heal/investigate/etc. in case their first choice ends up getting lynched at the end of the phase. Because of this mechanic, special roles must be quick on their feet since the game won’t wait for them like in previous rounds. This will also make the game faster paced in general, so activity is very important. Each Day/Eclipse phase will roll right into the next without downtime for Night phases. There may be a small delay just because I need to get stuff set up for each phase and write the final reports, but special role decisions will already be locked in by this point and it will not count as an official phase.

In each Eclipse phase, all living players can publicly share their suspicions and vote against someone with the idea being to vote out a Mafia member. The Mafia members participate in these debates as well, except their intent is to convince others of voting out innocent people instead of themselves. The person with the most votes by the end of the phase will be executed/lynched and removed from the game. If the votes result in a tie, then the tied players will typically either guess a number or do Rock Paper Scissors, causing a brief irregular Night phase to take place as an exception.

You can choose not to vote (abstain) and change your vote as much as you’d like until the given deadline. If any player goes without posting in the thread long enough (two in-game phases), they’ll be at risk for an inactivity boot, which will replace the majority vote. Keeping relatively quiet is a valid strategy, but you must at least meet this minimum threshold of participation.

Any murders by the Mafia and executions by majority vote will be noted at the start of the following Eclipse phase, with the roles of the dead revealed. Innocent special roles like the Doctor are often who the Mafia want gone the most. Dead players and folks who never joined cannot vote or try swaying people’s votes. There will be a spectator room on the Discord server that players cannot see, but these spectators should not privately contact players about the game, whether that be through Discord PMs, being a part of another server that they are in, or talking in RotMG itself.

Discord

The Discord setup from last round will be returning. There were some initial obstacles, but overall it made the game much more manageable and people seemed to prefer it. We might do another round here on the forums another time, but for now we will be sticking with the Discord server. Here’s a basic rundown so you know what you’re getting into.

Rules will show the rules of the game like you see here.

Announcements will display vote reports and declarations of when phases start.

Player Status lists all players, showing whether they are dead or alive as well as what their role is once deceased.

Nexus is the primary channel for living players where you can debate and accuse people. Everyone can see this channel, but only living, participating players will be able to speak in it.

Lynch Voting is a secondary channel for living players purely for declaring and changing votes. Since this is being played in Discord, the chat room setup will likely lead to much longer conversations that not everybody will be able to fully read. This channel will be used for officially stating your vote and changing it whenever you wish, making it easier for everyone to keep track of.

Off Topic is for casual conversation not related to the game itself.

Peanut Gallery is only visible to non-player spectators who join the server. Living and dead players cannot see or speak in this channel, allowing spectators to discuss their own theories without disrupting the game or influencing actual players.

Undead Lair is only visible to dead players. Once a player is eliminated, the will be able to view the player channels but no longer speak in them, so this will allow the dead to talk together. However, you are still not allowed to show proof of your role (such as a picture of the private message you will receive from me) since the Gravedigger could still call you back to the discussion.

Signups

The amount of players will be capped at 25 for this round. I would also ask that you only join if you think you can commit to the necessary amount of activity. You should be able to check the game for at least a couple minutes daily (enough to not fall behind on discussions and votes) and also not miss out on private messages if you have a special role. It’s not too demanding or anything, but it’s always a shame when an important role like the Doctor suddenly vanishes after two rounds. Please do not request to join if you do not think you’ll be able to maintain sufficient activity.

When you ask to join, you will also need to provide your Discord name and ID number to ensure that the correct account is brought into the game, in addition to accepting a friend quest on Discord if you are added to the game so that all private messages may be sent out properly. You should also ensure that you have private messages enabled so that I will be able to contact you with your role. This is not entirely a first-come-first-serve system of signups like last time. Preference will be given to people who behaved in previous games as well as active accounts who did not participate before. Feel free to request to join even if 25 people have already asked, there’s still a chance! I’ll make it clear when signups have been locked in.

Player Statuses

11 PLAYERS REMAIN

• Akram: Dead - Doctor
  • Atrapper: Dead - Civilian
  • BLUbeans: Alive - Mimic
  • BrandonCao: Alive - Mafioso
  • CandyShi: Dead - Gravedigger
  • EpicNecros: Alive - Civilian
  • Glawi: Alive - Slow Killer
  • Kaho: Alive - Vigilante
  • Literature: Alive - Civilian
  • Ludfru: Dead - Sheriff
  • Megatronc: Dead - Civilian
  • MMoas: Alive - Psychopath
  • Mrunibro: Dead - Civilian
  • Mynamerr: Dead - Civilian
  • Niegil: Dead - Civilian
  • Piggby: Dead - Civilian
  • SHARPSHOTR: Dead - Civilian
  • SirSpud: Alive - Civilian
  • SoloSen: Dead - Medic
  • Spixer: Alive - Mafioso
  • Tauntauned: Alive - Don
  • Tero: Dead - Civilian
  • ViciousTwo: Dead - Civilian
  • WunderWafe: Dead - Civilian
  • Xaklor: Alive - Blocker

The game has concluded. You can read a full recap here.

Realmafia Round 5 [CIVILAINS WON] [MAFIA IS DEAD :crab: ]
Realmafia: Smoke and Mirrors - Round IV [Mafia Won]

Is it just me or did you buff the town a lot more than maf?

With more roles comes a higher probability that some will get eliminated early on before they get to do much. A few of them are bound to end up being sacrificial, so it tends to balance out in my experience. The Mafia has a new means of killing as well, and the Vigilante can very possibly harm the Civilians himself, so the death toll will rise quickly. Even if the town does have a bit of an edge on paper, the game ultimately comes down to how well people can manipulate each other and make defenses. The Mafia has won both rounds so far, but they’ll need to work to keep up that streak.

How long are each of the eclipse phases? I assume it would be equal to one day and night cycle, since it the eclipse phase replaces the day and night phase.

sign me in
mynamerr

hi yes put me in again

Just the length of a Day, maybe a bit longer. I’ll adapt it throughout the game, but since people will make their decisions during the “Day” phase, there isn’t a need to double the length since it would slow down the intended fast pace.

Sure, let’s try that again.

Dang, ill be going on vacation when it starts

in, EpicNecros#7066, toast gay btw

looks like i’m finally free of vacations for the rest of the summer. also, i’d recommend that with this many special roles, you up the cap to 30 people.

Count me in, Piggby#6787.

If there’s a surplus of people wanting to join, I’ll bump it up to 30. Don’t want to force it, though. 25 people is already a lot of players to ask for, and there’s always a few that go inactive.

Also, are you sure you’ll be active this time? You were pretty absent for most of the previous game, and I want to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

yh, i was in the middle of california last time. this time i’m back in portland with nothing to do at least for a few hours of the day.

Sign me up kingoftauntauns#6017

I’m in, SoloSen#6549

Finally. I’m in Spixer#7146

Sign me up. Maybe this time I’ll be less of a neutral pretentious cuck. Damn were you civs bad last round I’m coming after that keystroke award again @MMoas

You have my discord, but for good measure Ludfru#2224

Count me in!

I’m in and also not going to be an honorary maf this time.

im bad at this game but still put me in
Privacy#8180