Realmafia Round 9: [Mafia won for once!]

Realmafia 9 is here! For newcomers and veterans alike, welcome to Realmafia, a RotMG-themed Mafia game originally hosted by Toastrz and then later taken over by myself and Mrunibro’s Java blob. This particular game has a special set of roles designed for maximum mayhem, so read everything carefully!

Here are the rules:

It’s a battle of wits between the innocent denizens of the Nexus (civilians) and the defectors to Oryx’s legions (Mafia)! The only thing stopping you from gunning down the traitors like everything else in RotMG is… well, you don’t know who’s who! The civilians win when all Mafia are successfully eliminated, while the Mafia win once they outnumber or match the amount of living civilians. Approximately 20% of the cast is loyal to Oryx, though the exact number of Mafia players will not be made known.

When the game begins, every player will be privately informed of their randomly decided role. You know the truth about yourself, but unless you’re in the Mafia, everyone else is not necessarily trustworthy. It’s a game about uncertainty and the ability to convince others of your arguments and reasoning.

This should really go without saying, but it is forbidden to share proof of private host messages to confirm your role with anyone else, even non-players. There are no prizes for winning, this is all just for fun, so I ask that all players keep with the spirit of the game and not defeat the purpose of it. You are completely free to declare yourself as any role (regardless of whether or not it’s true) with a statement like “I am the Doctor,” but you are not allowed to definitively prove it with information outside of the game mechanics.

In each Day phase, all living players can publicly share their suspicions and vote against someone with the idea being to vote out a Mafia member. The Mafia members participate in these debates as well, except their intent is to convince others of voting out innocent people instead of themselves. The person with the most votes by the end of the phase will be executed/lynched and removed from the game. If the votes result in a tie, then the tied players will typically either guess a number or do Rock Paper Scissors during the following Night phase.

In each Night phase, players will not be able to speak in the public channel. During this phase, the Mafia team selects one person to assassinate during the night, and each special innocent role will choose who to use their abilities on during the night. This phase lasts until all parties have made their decisions, within reason.

when signing up be sure to include the sentence “yesterday I built a rhino out of [blank]”, but replace the blank with your favorite word that starts with the second letter of your IGN so I know you read the rules :>

You can choose not to vote (abstain) and change your vote as much as you’d like until the given deadline. If any player goes without posting for too long (two in-game phases), they’ll get the inactivity boot, which will occur alongside the majority vote. Keeping relatively quiet is a valid strategy, but you must at least meet this minimum threshold of participation.

Any murders by the Mafia and executions by majority vote will be noted at the start of the following Day phase, with the roles of the dead revealed. Innocent special roles like the Doctor are often who the Mafia want gone the most. Dead players and folks who never joined cannot vote or try swaying people’s votes. There will be a spectator room on the Discord server that players cannot see, but these spectators should not privately contact players about the game, whether that be through Discord PMs, being a part of another server that they are in, or talking in RotMG itself.

with that out of the way, here’s the role roster! BE SURE TO READ THIS, the game hinges on this particular set of roles:

Nexus Team roles:

Warrior (Civilian)

This is the most basic role. They have no powers and are on the Nexus team. Despite having no special abilities, they are the most common role and therefore have the most power in the daily voting. They must determine if they are on the right track or being misled on their own.

Wizard (Informant)

The Informant can privately send a secret message to another player each night, up to 100 characters long (not including spaces). The messages will be handled and sent by the host , and the player receiving these messages will not know the identity of the person sending them, only that they were sent by an Informant. Some information cannot be sent, and the host has the right to say what is and isn’t acceptable. The players who gets this role are not exempt from the “don’t PM other players ever” rule, the host must be acting as a go-between for the messages to ensure rules aren’t being broken. THE NUMBER OF INFORMANTS IN PLAY IS UNKNOWN, anywhere between one and all nexus team players could be an Informant. Brace yourselves for an information storm!

Mystic (Sheriff)

Further adding to the pile of information and misinformation, the Sheriff also makes an appearance. Every night, the sheriff secretly learns the true identity of anyone of their choosing. This is extremely useful because it can potentially expose any mafioso posing as a civilian, but the Sheriff must be careful in the timing and wording of their revelations. Too soon and the mafia will take out the Sheriff before much has been accomplished, too late and the mafia may kill the Sheriff before they can say anything.

Guill

Honestly Guill is only here because he still hasn’t had his power used yet, between getting killed instantly in round 7 and being wasted on the most inactive player ever in round 8. Guill’s power puts his experience as the Nexus Crier to work, once per game he can publicly announce any one player’s true role for everyone to see. This will be handled by the host and included in the death report from the previous phase. The person with the Guill role will not be identified along with their target, only that Guill has revealed someone’s role. This power can irrefutably expose mafia members without giving them any room to stand at all, but it can also backfire if used on a friendly player with a special role while they’re trying to keep low. Guill’s power must be used carefully.

Mafia Team members:

Assassin (Mafioso)

Basic Mafia team member. Technically they have no special powers, but they work together in a private channel with their comrades and choose one person to assassinate during the night each turn. The game ends if the Mafia team members equal or outnumber the Nexus team members, or if all Mafia team members are killed.

Necromancer (Misinformant)

Now this is where things start to get silly. The Misinformant’s powers are identical to the Informant’s powers: sending anonymous secret messages with a 100-character limit every night, but they work for the opposite team. A message sent by a Misinformant will appear as if it was sent by a regular Informant, perfectly cloaking their deception. This game will not only be a typical battle of Innocents vs. Mafia, but it’s also a battle of Information vs. Misinformation. THE NUMBER OF MISINFORMANTS IS ALSO UNKNOWN. You will never be 100% sure that they’re all out of the picture. The Misinformant is also not allowed to break the “don’t PM each other ever” rule, just like the regular Informant. When signing up, please include the name of your favorite animal so I know you read this.

Once again, the game will be played on the Realmafia Discord server, I’ll share the invite link once everyone’s signed up and things are in place. Here’s a quick rundown of the server:

#rules will have a link to this thread if you forget the rules and/or need to refer to something

#announcements will be where I post the results from the night phases and daily lynchings, as well as the deadline to act before the end of the current day phase.

#player-status shows a list of all players, whether they’re alive or dead, and what their role was if they’re dead.

#nexus is the primary chat channel. debates, arguments, and discussions take place here. Everyone on the server can see the channel, but only living players can speak in it. dead players and spectators cannot speak in this channel to sway the discussion.

#lynch-voting is where you’ll officially declare you votes to avoid having them buried in the nexus channel. do not speak in this channel unless you’re actually declaring or removing an official vote.

#off-topic is where for casual chat not relevant to the game. try not to seriously discuss the game in the channel to keep it clean.

#peanut-gallery is for spectators. everyone will be able to join the server regardless of whether or not they signed up, but only players will be able to speak in the game channels. if you want to watch the game, this is where you can comment or share theories with other spectators. players cannot see this channel at all, regardless of whether they’re dead or not.

#undead-lair is for players who are dead. similar to spectators, they can see the game channels, but can only speak in their designated channel. dead players still cannot see the peanut gallery.

#art is a relatively new addition, it’s where players can put fanart of events that have taken place in the game. It doesn’t see much use these days since SoloSen left us, but sometimes it gets used so it’s still here. Anyone with the “Artist” role can post in this channel, regardless of whether they are a living player, a dead player, or even a spectator. Therefore it’s extremely important you do not abuse your privilege to speak in this channel to attempt to sway the game if you’re not supposed to be able to. It’s also important to note that this is not a meme channel . Only put actual artwork here. If you’d like the “Artist” role, DM me with something you’d like to put in it, I’ll give it to you when you prove you have something to contribute.

Sign-ups:

Be sure to sign up as quickly as possible to get the best chances of securing a seat! If you will only become available a few days from now, sign up anyway and I can wait for you to become available. within reason of course, I will not postpone the entire game for weeks. When signing up be absolutely sure that you can be an active participant in the game! it’s extremely frustrating when players need to cooperate with other players that don’t seem interested in the game. If you’re going to sign up to play the game, please actually play the game. On this note, I will not add players who have consistently proven themselves to be quiet and unhelpful in previous games, unless there are no other options. Newer players will be given the benefit of the doubt in this regard, but please don’t let me down. I’m looking for 25 players to begin the game. When signing up be sure to include your discord tag even if you think I have it already, this will help keep things more consistent for those skimming the thread and make it more clear that you’re entering.

Current Roster:

1. Lain
  2. HorusKane
  3. EnderTimes
  4. Sadfahlsdj
  5. TROLLDLLR
  6. RyanYoon
  7. Ludfru
  8. SirSpud
  9. Zuzu
  10. Seelpit
  11. Curlip
  12. RareMeat
  13. Wilhuff
  14. Chennitoa
  15. Orsome
  16. EpicNecros
  17. ThatsMyJam
  18. Airships
  19. NubieDubie
  20. IExisted
  21. SHARPSHOTR
  22. Four
  23. Zephusss
  24. Trensient
  25. AKLDragon

There is one last thing to mention: thanks to the generosity of Jaiike (a new friend from Surviv) and HorusKane, the server is now Nitro Boosted! One of the perks we have no idea what to do with is the ability to add an animated server icon. If you’ve got an idea and the ability to make one, that would be super cool of you. Something with Guill and/or Oryx would be best, but if it fits without them then that’ll work too. here’s our current one if you need it:

PNG

here’s the server invite: https://discord.gg/FnP5XUz, normally I’d share it only once we’re ready to begin but w/e, half the people likely to sign up are already there.

OwO what’s this? notices realmmafia is alive(

I’m sorry please read the rules first :>

now i have read the rules sign me up Lain#6715

please

Ayy sign me up chief

CandyShi#1829 (I’ll sign up as a stand-in or something, if you guys don’t get enough players, since I’ll be in china w/ a shitty vpn).

I like owols

Edit: Forgot to include how I built a rhino out of a… “a”.

it seems you have not read the rules, would you like to try again?

its the same as the last time but changed roster of roles and updated sign ups do you fucking expect me to discuss the new class or what

shut the fuck up candyshi youre the worst animal known to man fuckin detective ass

Read the rules and you’ll understand

Yesterday I built a rhino out of ostriches.

Sign me up! UnderTimes#3244

Also I like cats.

Informant is my favorite role, OwO

Sign me up, sadfahlsdj#0529

My favorite animal is the Bloon Master Alchemist from BTD6

yesterday I built a rhino out of YinYarns flesh and blood yams

speaking of yams

We’re finally back Lud#2224

What is this the fucking Chinese internet

@RyanYoon you’re missing your discord tag, and in your case that’s actually important for once

@Ludfru you’re missing the other thing, read the rules pls

just think of #art as a vpn

I feel like that’s an insult :thinking: probably not lul
In any case it’s spicy#1853

@Xaklor: for optimal gameplay experience (both for onesself and for the players at large), what is the bare minimum time investment that a game like this requires? Need one spend inordinate amounts of time on Discord for best results?

[Yesterday I built a rhino, but I’m not telling you what it’s made of until I better understand what I’d be getting myself into. OB]