Realmafia - The Signups

Welcome one and all to the first of (hopefully) many games of Mafia on the RealmEye forums! In this classic game of deception, participants are secretly assigned different roles among either the civilian or Mafia faction. While the civilians attempt to determine the truth about which people are mafioso and vote them out, the mob themselves must undercut these efforts and try to turn the civilians against each other, all while slowly trimming down their numbers.

This will be a fairly simple iteration of the game to see how popular it will be on this site, and of course it will also be themed with RotMG. Some of you may have already played this game, either in a real life party setting or on other online message boards. I’m sure many of you are unfamiliar, though, so the rules have been laid out in detail below.

Civilian Faction

Warrior
Warrior (Civilian)

Simply the standard, garden variety civilian. While our basic Warriors of the Nexus do not have any special abilities, their voice still plays a crucial role in voting and discussion during each in-game Day. They must defend themselves from false accusations of Mafia allegiance and convince others to join their vote for who they think is really in the Mafia.

Priest
Priest (Doctor)

The town physician participates as a civilian, but sends a private message to the host every in-game Night, choosing who he would like to aid. If he chooses the same person that the Mafia decides to strike, he will successfully heal them, shielding them from the attack and thwarting the Mafia’s potential kill that Night. This comes with the added benefit of privately confirming to the Doctor that the person they healed is indeed innocent, though going public with that information could appear suspicious and be risky.

Every other Night, the Doctor may choose a second person to heal (up until six players remain, if still alive). They may also choose to heal themselves two times at any point in the game if they feel threatened by the Mafia’s next pick, but this does make them less valuable to the rest of the civilian faction and should be used cautiously.

Mystic
Mystic (Sheriff)

Like the Doctor, the Sheriff sends a message to the host every Night specifying a person they would like to investigate. They will then receive a confirmation of that person’s role, even if they are the Don. This is extremely valuable knowledge, but they should be careful about how they convince the rest of the players in order to avoid drawing suspicion from the Mafia.

Mafia Faction

Assassin
Assassin (Mafioso)

The basic member of the Mafia. The Assassin will participate in a private group chat with the rest of his fellow traitorous do-badders. Here they will come to a consensus every Night about who to take out. They must also attempt to blend in with the other civilians during the Day and participate in discussion, steering public opinion in favor of lynching an innocent person while not appearing suspicious themselves.

Trickster
Trickster (Don)

The Don behaves as a standard mafioso, but possess a unique passive ability. If they are lynched by the civilians, they themselves will be declared as a civilian in the death report at the start of the next Day. Their true identity will be revealed after two more in-game Days, but this can temporarily throw the civilian faction off the scent of other Mafia members, especially if they appeared to be cooperating in votes to a suspicious degree.

Ninja
Ninja (Psychopath)

A very special member of the Mafia who essentially acts as a suicide bomber. In any Night period, the Psychopath can sacrifice himself to kill someone else on top of whoever the Mafia decides to strike that Night. This can be a useful last-ditch effort, and overrides healing from the Doctor.

Furthermore, the Psychopath can potentially kill two people just by himself, resulting in a three civilian death toll in a single Night. If the Psychopath is lucky enough to choose a special civilian role, they will bomb the residence that they are visiting rather than the Doctor/Sheriff’s own home. This will kill both the chosen civilian as well as whoever they were healing/investigating that Night. This also applies if the Psychopath chooses the person being visited.

How To Play

It’s a battle of wits between the innocent denizens of the Nexus (civilians) and the defectors to Oryx’s legions (Mafia)! The only thing stopping you from gunning down the traitors like everything else in RotMG is… well, you don’t know who’s who! The civilians win when all Mafia are successfully eliminated, while the Mafia win once they outnumber or match the amount of living civilians. Approximately 25% of the cast is loyal to Oryx, though the exact number of Mafia players will not be made known.

When the game begins, every player will be privately informed of their randomly decided role. You know the truth about yourself, but unless you’re in the Mafia, everyone else is not necessarily trustworthy. It’s a game about uncertainty and the ability to convince others of your arguments and reasoning.

This should really go without saying, but it is forbidden to share proof of private host messages to confirm your role with anyone else, even non-players. There are no prizes for winning, this is all just for fun, so I ask that all players keep with the spirit of the game and not defeat the purpose of it. You are completely free to declare yourself as any role (regardless of whether or not it’s true) with a statement like “I am the Doctor,” but you are not allowed to definitively prove it with information outside of the game mechanics.

The game is split into Day and Night phases. Together, one Day and one Night lasts about a few real days. In each Day phase, all living players can publicly share their suspicions and vote against someone with the idea being to vote out a Mafia member. The Mafia members participate in these debates as well, except their intent is to convince others of voting out innocent people instead of themselves. The person with the most votes by the end of the phase will be executed/lynched and removed from the game. If the votes result in a tie, then the tied players will typically either guess a number or do Rock Paper Scissors. You can choose not to vote (abstain) and change your vote as much as you’d like until the given deadline. If any player goes without posting in the thread long enough (2 in-game Days roughly), they’ll be at risk for an inactivity boot, which will replace the majority vote. Keeping relatively quiet is a valid strategy, but you must at least meet this minimum threshold of participation.

During each Night, all the speculation of the Day is off-limits. Special roles (everyone but basic civilians) who haven’t already done so during the Day will privately message me who they wish to use their abilities on. Any murders by the Mafia and executions by majority vote will be noted at the start of the following Day phase, with the roles of the dead revealed. Innocent special roles like the Doctor are often who the Mafia want gone the most. Dead players and folks who never joined cannot vote or try swaying people’s votes. We’re really just working on the honor system here, but dead players should speak in red text (ff0000) and non-participants should talk in green text (00a86b).

Signups

Since this is kind of an experimental round to see if things will go smoothly on these forums, I’ll be capping the number of players at 25. I would also ask that you only join if you think you can commit to the necessary amount of activity. You should be able to check the forums for at least a couple minutes daily (enough to not fall behind on discussions and votes) and also not miss out on private messages at Night if you have a special role. It’s not too demanding or anything, but it’s always a shame when an important role like the Doctor suddenly vanishes after two rounds.

1. GGaodzilla

2. Nameness

3. Four

4. Glawi

5. Baglooting

6. Atrapper

7. CandyShi

8. MMoas

9. Niegil

10. HorusKane

11. CookieMage

12. Literature

13. AKLDragon

14. Campfires

15. Xenogenesi

16. Piggby

17. Tero

18. BlueBoa

19. EpicNecros

20. BrandonCao

21. Idragonet

22. ThatsMyJam

23. Laserquest

24. Xaklor

25. Sadfahlsdj

We’re full!

Realmafia - Round I [Mafia Won]

owo can I join

I would love to join (accidently replied to Gaod)

Btw make me a psychopath (chances probably decreased when I asked)

“Accidentally”

Smh

Sounds fun ill give it a try

Count me in >3</

im down

Count me in!

Toast has bread more fabulous ideas.
Edit: if the mafioso gets lynched, is there a replacement system?

I’ll try that, sounds fun

Roles will be assigned with randomized choosing system, so nobody has any more or less of a chance than anyone else.

If I’m understanding the question correctly, no. The goal of the civilians is to correctly determine who among them is a mafioso and lynch them, so they’re successful if they can manage to eliminate all of them. Of course, that makes it the Mafia’s job to mislead everyone, convince others of their innocence, and have the civilians kill each other while they also pick people off in Night periods.

sign me up

So if the mafioso gets lynched, the only kill power of the mafia is the psychopath?

What if the don is the only mafia left?

Sounds fun, I’ll join.

why isn’t archer a class smh

sign me up please o;

Me

Put me in this, might as well be a no-lifer playing a bloodthirsty forum game taking away other peoples lives

Also, suggesting a mechanic for daytime, if you dont have one figured out. Start of the day, a poll is posted for nominations, everyone gets 2 votes. people can then start discussing, and you can go back and change your vote. When a lot of people have responded, put in a poll where everyone votes on who dies, made up of 2-3 people who got the most nominations. Polls would need to be examined to make sure only live people vote.

Edit: hide details isnt working, heres the example

Who do you nominate to be hung?

• Person A
  • Person B
  • Person C
  • Person D
  • Person E
  • Person F
  • Person G
  • Person H

0 voters

(after this poll, there is time for people to vote, discuss and revote. at the end, this poll is closed and a new one is posted)

Who will be hung today?

• Person B
  • Person C
  • Person F

0 voters

(not sure if 2 or 3 people)

I’ll join

there’s always the option to hang nobody.

NOT IN THIS WORLD.

@Nobody, Candyshi wants to hang you