Realmafia: Woodlands [Charlabeth wins! (also the mafia too)]

Hi! Again, I know it’s been a while, but I am still doing these if you can believe it. Still don’t have anywhere better to put these either, even though it has nothing to do with rotmg in any capacity.

This is a mafia game with roleplay elements hosted by myself and a bot made by Zuzu. If you haven’t seen these before, click on the things below to get a full explanation of how it works. Otherwise it’s pretty much the same spiel as always.

Normal rules

It’s a battle of wits between the innocent Civilians and the evil Mafia! The only thing stopping you from punting the traitors is… well, you don’t know who’s who! The civilians win when all Mafia are successfully eliminated, while the Mafia win once they outnumber or match the amount of living civilians. Approximately 20% of the players are mafia-aligned, the exact number will be made known before the game begins.

When the game begins, every player will be privately informed of their randomly decided role. You know the truth about yourself, but unless you’re in the Mafia, everyone else is not necessarily trustworthy. It’s a game about uncertainty and the ability to convince others of your arguments and reasoning.

This should really go without saying, but it is forbidden to share proof of private host messages to confirm your role with anyone else, even non-players. There are no prizes for winning, this is all just for fun, so I ask that all players keep with the spirit of the game and not defeat the purpose of it. You are completely free to declare yourself as any role (regardless of whether or not it’s true) with a statement like “I am the Doctor,” but you are not allowed to definitively prove it with information outside of the game mechanics.

In each Day phase, all living players can publicly share their suspicions and vote against someone with the idea being to vote out a Mafia member. The Mafia members participate in these debates as well, except their intent is to convince others of voting out innocent people instead of themselves. The person with the most votes by the end of the phase will be executed/lynched and removed from the game. If the votes result in a tie, then the tied players will typically either guess a number or do Rock Paper Scissors during the following Night phase.

In each Night phase, players will not be able to speak in the public channel. During this phase, the Mafia team selects one person to assassinate during the night, and each special innocent role will choose who to use their abilities on during the night. This phase lasts until all parties have made their decisions, within reason.

You can choose not to vote (abstain) and change your vote as much as you’d like until the given deadline. If any player goes without posting for too long (two in-game phases), they’ll get the inactivity boot, which will occur alongside the majority vote. Keeping relatively quiet is a valid strategy, but you must at least meet this minimum threshold of participation.

Any murders by the Mafia and executions by majority vote will be noted at the start of the following Day phase, with the roles of the dead revealed. Innocent special roles like the Doctor are often who the Mafia want gone the most. Dead players and folks who never joined cannot vote or try swaying people’s votes. There will be a spectator room on the Discord server that players cannot see, but these spectators should not privately contact players about the game, whether that be through Discord PMs, being a part of another server that they are in, or talking in RotMG itself.

Persona rules

So here’s the twist that separates this experience from a typical mafia-like game: in addition to being given a role, you will also be given a “persona”, or character that you must perform as. You must remain in-character at all times, and you must prioritize your character’s personal motivations and your act of sticking to the character over actually trying to win the game, regardless of team. So if I give you a persona who is looking for ingredients to make a sausage roll, you must prioritize finding those ingredients from other players over playing the “game”. The actual mafia game really is not the point of these games, approach it more as an elaborate roleplay session.

Here’s a couple examples from previous games (Metamorphosis and Corruption):

You are Skullbot 3000 . Contrary to your name, you are actually a very pleasant fellow and do your best to get along with everyone you meet. You were originally an experimental project of Mia Tinkercusp who was accidentally imbued with self-awareness. Mia chose to let you go afterwards, as it didn’t feel right to keep you like you were another belonging. you want to become more human as you can tell you lack certain features of a true sentient being. You believe these fragments are somehow capable of granting a human heart, among other things, as it was likely Mia’s fragment that accidentally granted you self-awareness in the first place. Also, you are 7 times stronger than a human and have armor plating that would put tanks to shame.

You cannot be defeated in any kind of combat. You are not immune to being killed by the mafia or by lynching, but no character can harm you outside of normal game mechanics.

You are Stella Clairvoya , a fortune teller from a distant country on a pilgrimage around the world for personal reasons. Whether or not you’re capable of determining the future or communicating with the spirits is entirely irrelevant to the level of enthusiasm you have for the subject. No matter how many times you end up being wrong, you never let the haters get to you and continue regardless. You’re also very short and love horses and horse analogies.

Once each night phase you can identify another character’s secret trigger. These revelations must be kept secret, but this ability doesn’t have to be. Your revelations may sometimes contain more or less information than what was given to the person being identified.

This is what would be sent to your DMs if you were given the Skullbot 3000 or Stella Clairvoya persona. You would behave as you imagine these characters would do, and you would be welcome to fill in whatever blanks you feel I’ve left out, such as your current relationship with Mia Tinkercusp in the case of Skullbot 3000. There are some little details like that I leave up to your own interpretation, but you must stick to what I’ve explicitly written for you at least. Your discord nickname on the server would also temporarily be set to Skullbot 3000 [not a real boy] or Stella Clairvoya [Fortune Teller] to help you and others keep track of what you are at a glance.

Notice the second part is all bold. This is what I’ve come to call a “secret trigger”. This section is only given to you, it is not part of the public version of these persona descriptions and no one else is told about this. If you were playing Skullbot 3000 and for some reason there was a fight over someone’s mysterious fragment for example (something from Metamorphosis, don’t worry about it much), you would be invincible in that fight if you chose to partake in it and could force the fragment from one person and keep it yourself. If someone tried fighting back, I as the host would ensure it would not harm you. You’ll get a feel for this sort of thing once we get started, trust me.

Some triggers are passive like Skullbot 3000’s, but others have a more active effect like Stella Clairvoya’s. If you were playing as her, you would get to control who you decided to use your divination powers on each night rather than having some passive effect enforced by myself. Others still can happen in response to certain events in the course of the game. This is to further incentivize you to engage with the setting and with other characters, because that’s how you can get these trigger effects to happen. Some are simple while others are extremely long and complex, some you are free to mention if you’d like to and others must be kept secret at all times, but the important point is that every persona has one. If you don’t see one, that means what triggers it is secret even to you, but rest assured you will still have one. If you’re ever uncertain about what parts of your secret trigger you’re allowed to talk about, ask me right away.

Role List

Civilian team roles:

Warrior (Civilian)

This is the most basic role. They have no powers and are on the Civilian team. Despite having no special abilities, they are the most common role and therefore have the most power in the daily voting. They must determine if they are on the right track or being misled on their own.

Priest (Doctor)

The Doctor is on the Civilian team, they have the power to defend anyone of their choosing from a mafia kill during the night. If the protected player is targeted by the mafia, they won’t die and it will be announced in the morning.

Paladin (Medic)

The Medic is on the Civilian team, and serves a similar role as the Doctor. On the first four turns of the game, the Medic can also heal other players, potentially saving them from death. On top of this, the Medic and Doctor start the game with their own private channel to speak with each other outside of the main text channel. This lets the two know for certain who the other one is, and how to efficiently handle the healing duties.

Sorcerer

Sorcerer (Deputy)

The Deputy is on the Civilian team. On the first four turns of the game, the Deputy can investigate another player and learn their true role. This is guaranteed to be accurate regardless of any obfuscation the mafia may be playing at.

Mafia team roles:

Assassin

Assassin (Mafioso)

Basic Mafia team member. Technically they have no special powers, but they work together in a private channel with their comrades and choose one person to assassinate during the night each turn. The game ends if the Mafia team members equal or outnumber the Nexus team members, or if all Mafia team members are killed.

Knight (Blocker)

The Blocker acts on the Mafia team. Each night he chooses a person to block, and that person’s special abilities are disabled for the night phase. However, no notification is sent to either the blocker or the public channel that a block successfully blocked someone capable of doing anything that can be blocked. The target of the block will be notified that they were blocked if they were a role that could be blocked.

Archer
Archer (Sniper)

The Archer’s mighty bow can pick off targets without giving an opportunity for medical intervention. His kills surpass protection from healing roles, ensuring a target’s death. However, the Sniper’s actions are not separate kills, but rather a modification to the Mafia’s daily decision. He can only use this power ONCE, so it is critical that he doesn’t waste it on people that the Mafia does not expect to be protected.

In short, this is another RP mafia game with these special roles: Doctor, Medic, Deputy, Blocker, Sniper. The Sniper only has one shot. As usual, you must stick to the RP first and actually try to “win” second.

IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION!:

There will be a “day 0” before the game begins properly, where no one will have any roles assigned to them whatsoever and can just chat freely. This is to give players time to feel out their characters before the game begins and to hopefully give whatever poor souls are killed night 1 more time to shine. You must speak during this phase to confirm you’re ready to go, since game roles aren’t assigned by day 0 I can freely boot you from the game without ruining anything.

Also, for reasons that will become clearer once the game actually starts, I may flip a civilian player’s alignment during any night phase if I feel the game is getting boring and/or wrapping up too fast. You will not be informed when this happens, either. This means that while I can give you an initial mafia player count, I can’t give you an updated mafia player count as the game progresses.

Sign-ups:

I’ll host for as many people as are interested once again, unless this somehow explodes and we get like 25 players. I might struggle in that case since more players means more creative writing work. To sign up, comment here or message me on discord (Xaklor#2460). I have not picked an official start date yet, but expect this game to last for several days. Some players I’ve already signed up in advance on our discord server, but don’t panic seats are effectively unlimited.

Current Roster:

1. Platformz
  2. Ruby.
  3. Cam
  4. HorusKane
  5. Boombleeb
  6. WindowsHD
  7. herb
  8. sadfahlsdj
  9. Nameness
  10. Faye
  11. AKL
  12. Nyan
  13. Cypress
  14. Lud
  15. Mal
  16. Vimek
  17. GammaGamer
  18. Ryan

Here’s the server invite link: https://discord.gg/FnP5XUz

the game has started!

So after the death of Bigothy O’Smassmear, a Civilian, Ronaldius Reaganium, the Blocker, and Elon Musk, the Iron Man wannabe, the remaining population went back to their decision to kill off Pointy Mython. After basking in the deductive prowess it took to identify the last changelings, Borgot Thumbleweed turned to Zack Bofa to shake his hand on a job well done. Borgot Thumbleweed was then stabbed in the chest by a monster quickly changing from Zack Bofa back into something more menacing. uh oh! Pointy Mython was just a Civilian, and Zack Bofa was the last changeling! Sensing danger, Karzug the Dragon King grabs the revived Charlabeth and flies away to safety, leaving the remains of Camp Nottafront in the hands of the changelings. Better luck next time!

Sometime after the changelings overrun the forest campground, the Grilled Cheese Mafia step up and gun them all down, reclaiming the land. Why? The Grilled Cheese Mafia works in mysterious ways… stay tuned…

ALSO by the power of everyone loving frogs, Charlabeth wins the game! Contratulations!

roles revealed

Vimek: Doctor
HorusKane: Medic
Faye: Deputy
WindowsHD: Blocker
Nameness: Sniper
Ryan: Mafioso
Boombleeb: Mafioso

nightly actions

Town votes:

Day 1: no one
Day 2: Ludfru
Day 3: Nyan
Day 4: Nameness
Day 5: Boombleeb
Day 6: Cypress
Day 7: sadfahlsdj
Day 8: AKL

Vimek’s visits:
Night 1: HorusKane
Night 2: Nameness
Night 3: Ryan
Night 4: Faye
Night 5: WindowsHD
Night 6: WindowsHD
Night 7: HorusKane

HorusKane’s visits:
Night 1: Cypress
Night 2: herb
Night 3: Vimek
Night 4: Ryan

Faye’s visits:
Night 1: herb
Night 2: Boombleeb
Night 3: Nameness
Night 4: Ruby

Mafia kills:
Night 1: Cam
Night 2: Platformz
Night 3: Ryan (!)
Night 4: Ruby
Night 5: Faye
Night 6: Mal
Night 7: HorusKane

WindowsHD’s blocks:
Night 1: Cypress
Night 2: HorusKane
Night 3: Ruby
Night 4: Faye
Night 5: HorusKane
Night 6: AKL
Night 7: Vimek

persona triggers

Borgot Thumbleweed
If this character sells at least one grilled cheese sandwich each day phase until they die or the game ends, the grilled cheese mafia will raid Camp Nottafront at the end of the game.

Alexothy Barfolomew
Everything found naturally on the ground can be used in crafting recipes to create who knows what. Ask the host for info on items.

Bozi Bozman
If this character is ever forced into a shirt they will lose their muscles. Removing the shirt will not bring them back.

Ronaldius Reaganium
This character’s real name is actually Johnathan J. Genericman, and he is the most boring person in the universe. He adopts the Ronaldius Reaganium character to seem more interesting, they do not want their cover blown under any circumstances. Later in the game a package for JJG will arrive and they will have to cope with the consequences.

Kevin Kevbaker
If Kevin is alive at the end of the game, Kevin will single-handedly save the campground from an invasion of probe aliens, as well as the Grilled Cheese Mafia if they show up. If Kevin isn’t alive at the end of the game, no invasion happens.

Beatrice Bumbles
This character learns one new spell every night they survive.

Eli Mosc
This character’s NFT portfolio will either triple or halve in worth every night. It starts at $10m. If it reaches $1b, they get to buy Tweeter, the social media platform.

Smelvin Shitter
If this character finds the Gem of Order, they must destroy it. If this character finds the Gem of Chaos, they must possess it.

Bigothy O’Smassmear
Everything metal can be used in crafting recipes to make who knows what. Ask the host for details on items.

Amon Gauss
This character wants everyone’s socks, even the ones that are being worn.

Squigems Firepaw
This character can smell the difference between a Changeling and a human. It’s not accurate though.

Charlabeth Bestershire
Any time this character convinces a disbeliever that frogs are cool, they get a point. If anyone kills a frog, they lose 10 points. If at the end of the game they have 10 points, they win regardless of the outcome of the game.

Stanuel Albert
This character seeks the mythical Gem of Order, its location is unknown but it’s said to be in the Funky Woods.

Hunter Powerlute
This character seeks the mythical Gem of Chaos, they have a lead on how to locate Shawn Gracefoot using it. Its location is unknown, but they have a hunch it’s in Funky Woods somewhere.

Bond Bond
Any time this character votes on a player that is a Changeling and the vote goes through, they will personally be responsible for the death of the Changeling. Afterwards, they will have a hunch on the next Changeling, but this isn’t guaranteed to be accurate.

Pointy Mython
Food items can be used in crafting recipes to create who knows what, ask the host for details on items.

Zack Bofa
This character has a Meme Ray, its effects are unpredictable and often incomprehensible.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.