RealmEye Forums Moderator AMA [Request]

^ What they said.

Basically went down like this:

Me: yo, realmeye, how bout some forums?
… weeks pass …
MrEyeball: here ya go
Me: sweet! Can I bring the others back on board?
MrEyeball: sure

The rest is history.

@Doc @OtherBill
did you watch the champions league game last weekend?

No for me. I’m not into major league sports. At best i’m a casual fan of the Cubs thanks to my family history.

cool

@moderators what is your favorite thread on this forum

:wink:

This one:

https://www.realmeye.com/forum/t/190/1

xD. I don’t think non regulars can see that

Well shoot. Open the link in a new tab. Hey forum: stop making me look dumb when i’m trying to be clever!

The Forum Rules and guidlines
Nice touch :wink:

I don’t really have a favorite thread, but if I had to choose, I’d say this thread. It’d be a easy favorite if people asked more/better questions.

I do, however, have a favorite post.

@moderators how come when people are permabanned it’s only until 2044? Is that when a lease on the domain name expires?
######also why did starlias get a ban, a url is not very specific.

It’s means for his forum activity in general.

Also what the hell kinda lease do you think last till 2044.

No its 9999 days

It’s means for his forum activity in general.

Yeah what was so bad about it

Discourse doesn’t really feature a “permaban”, so we have to specify a number of days for the ban duration. “10000” is easy to type.

You’ll have to talk to him about that, sorry…

let me see…
attention-whoring, flaming everyone who didn’t kiss his ass, wildly attacking people who did nothing at all, hopelessly derailing about 70% of threads he posted in, the list goes on.

that good enough for you?

I would’ve greatly preferred that “You’ll have to talk to him about that, sorry” would have been good enough. No need to belabor this any further.

Unban Starlias please

Who is Paxrat?

An agressive kid who was banned

… that seems cryptic and unhelpful. aloof and non-specific is one thing, but hiding the truth is quite another. what if said person had asked him what happened and was either unsatisfied with the answer or wanted this side of the story?

since there will never be an end to “what happened to so-and-so” questions, here’s an AMA question for you:

how would you prefer we answer those questions? shut up and pretend nothing happened? give full disclosure to what happened? give a vague and unhelpful response? ask them to go find the answer themselves?

and what if they keep asking after that? what if they find those answers unsatisfactory?

the other moderators can answer too, it seems that you don’t all share the same opinions on these topics sometimes.

The rules here are rather vague on purpose, aside from the Hard and Fast rules. If we ban someone for “activity”, the reasons are going to fall into the vague category. Typically it’s when we’ve had enough of a person not going with the spirit of the rules, often continuing after temp bans or several attempts to talk with them about behavior we don’t find acceptable.

As soon as we start laying out specifics we trap ourselves to explain why we interpreted the rules the way we did. We’re happy to speak directly with the person who was banned. However, as I mentioned chances are high we’ve already tried talking with them first, so the conversation is pretty much over by the time the ban hammer gets involved.

To explain why bans happen to a wider audience would mean we would have to disclose private conversations. If they want to tell you then that’s their choice, but we won’t.