Revising Sword Attack

It would probably be something similar for ninja although ofc ninja wasn’t a class when this interview was conducted

Yeah that’s right.

ive thought about a ut item for this, although it gets complicated with game mechanics and needs to stray away from a normal piercing sword.

I have already played around with this concept and I find it surprising that I never knew the original creators had some sort of plans for it in a way.

How I planned it to work was to allow it to sweep a 90 degree arc at a small range of about 2-2.5 or so. This does give them piercing but it would be pretty hard to take advantage of it because of the short range. (Similar to ninja compared to priest-Sorcerer)

One thing to note about this is that when you slash and move your character the process of attacking would have to move with your character. This technically means you could have a longer range as the sword strikes a larger area.

Edit: Oh, and I have no idea how it would work with the Ninja class. Ninja should not have existed in the first place anyway so their plans would have actually worked.

Do you mean something like Salju??

Nope, Salju works like every other weapon in the game, it fires shots. It just look like they’re wider because of the shot sprites, but their hitbox are the same as any other shot in the game.

He means a literal swipe attack in front of the player. Imagine you had a sword in your hand and did a horizontal slash attack. That’s what he means.

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but the projectile would basically travel in an arc around the player instead of a straight line from the player?
Would the projectile move slowly? Like enough for it to make a difference depending on the player’s movement speed?
Also if yes for the above question, would the projectile stay stationary if the player moves away from the location where the shot was fired from?
Sorry didn’t mean to reply to you werbenja. Was actually asking @JawsJakt

The best way to pull this concept off is to have an arc specific to the item. I’d say tiered would be 90 degree arcs and UTs would vary.

The projectile would hopefully look like the sword itself in a way, perhaps just the blade. This projectile would have a move speed based on the sword like the arc, I would imagine that the time it takes for the swords in RotMG right now to reach the end of ya range would be a good time to use, maybe faster.

There would be a cooldown between each swing, Dexterity, which would determine how fast the player attacks. One issue is that with higher Dexterity, and especially with the berserk effect, the player would attack fast enough to swing more than one time in the same instant which makes no sense.

One way to fix this is to have the Dexterity start increasing swing speed at a certain point. This would still increase the DPS as a faster swing speed would allow the next swing to start sooner. It is an odd concept for sure but it is very possible.

The projectile would move with the player, probably the hardest part. One way I see about coding this is that the projectile shares the character’s X and Y values and updates based on the player’s location. Another way to go about doing this is to make the projectile share the speed and movement of the character. So your projectile would technically be another object you control. Picturing it like multiboxing except clientsided is an easy way to see it.
Things like teleporting could get in the way with this second concept.

I don’t know if RotMG uses any sort of x y plane that constantly tracks coordinates but I know it is very possible to do and would actually help out with a lot of things, new content and patching exploits.

… or we could make “shot” speed (or swipe speed, in this case) and “shot” lifetime also dependant on dex, always keeping the same angular range, in a way as to make the shot disappear as soon as a new shot is produced. That come with a lot of lag, though.

There is one thing to keep in mind though. Shot speed and shot lifetime cannot both increase simultaneously. That results in either A, a larger arc, or B, stacked shots.

Besides, at a lower Dexterity with this the shot would not make the full arc, only on the edge.

That is why I proposed decreasing the cooldown in between shots then, once the cooldown is equal to 0, it would begin to lower the shot lifetime and increase the shot speed. A bit complicated, yes, but entirely possible.

I meant something like this:

Let’s say the dex of a certain character dictates it fires a bullet every t (in seconds, for example). We make the lifetime of the shots also be t and make the shot speed (in this case, angular speed) ω (in radian/second, for example) so as to always make the arc (or angular range) φ=ωt constant. If dex goes up, t goes down, lifetime also goes down and ω goes up, but φ remais the same. But that might bring some problems with it.

For example, a max dex berserked warrior fires 8.75 bullets per second. Since it could boost its dex by other means, let’s go ahead and round it out to 9 bullets per second. That means it fires a bullet every 1/9 seconds, so we make the lifetime of the swipe also 1/9 seconds. If we want the angular range to be π/2 radians (as you suggested), then ω=9π/2 radians/second. If the max radial range is r=2 tiles (as you suggested), it means the outer edge of the swipe will be travelling at v=ωr=9π tiles/second, much higher than the highest bullet speed of any weapon in game right now, which I believe belongs to Etherite, at 19 tiles/second.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have a dazed melee, firing 1.5 bullets per second. Repeating the calculation we did on the previous paragraph, we would have a swipe lifetime of 2/3 seconds, an angular speed of 3π/4 radians/second and an outer speed of 3π/2 tiles/second, much lower than all of the tiered weapons in game right now, as tiered sword’s shots travel at 10 tiles/second, and comparable only to vanity’s shots.

This way, a new “shot” will always be produced if and only if the previous shot disappears. Wether the varying shot speeds can be a problem or not I don’t know, but it solves the issue of having more than one swipe on the screen at a time quite elegantly.

Alright, I caught what ya meant now. It is still flawed however.

The high dex you stated that the lifetime would be 1/9 where as the low dex would be 6/9 of a second.
I see this as a problem because you would easily be able to increase your DPS by moving back and forth, just like how you as a player can run over the same piercing shot multiple times.

(Imagine a max SPD Warrior with less than average DEX, a CC armor and a Candy ring equipped. He would easily be able to have a better DPS than the highest dex if he performed correctly.)

I don’t think having the sword able to always be on the screen is good at all. That is why I suggested a cooldown. All weapons in the game already have a cooldown so it would not be a foreign concept.

Adding extra code to make the piercing be able to hit multiple monsters but once each would fix that issue entirely though. That type of code seems a bit complicated but is probably possible.

That’s true, I didn’t think about that. Still very hard to do with high swipe speed, but doable. Probably even more doable if we take lag into account.

As long as it’s only one sword per player on the screen at all times, I don’t see a problem.

Let’s be real here, we’re talking about adding a completely new way of how a weapon could work. If we are worried about how hard would it be to code, we probably should have stoped talking much sooner.

That’s true. After all, the original devs managed to code things like invisibility anyway. (Not to mention the frequency, life time, and bullet speed instead of simply range.)

It would make for an interesting change. The current attack is more like constantly THRUSTING. Which some swords are ofc designed for.

In a Rotmg with 100 classes, it is easy to imagine we could have a variety of sword classes - some could even have facility to use multiple weapon types.

That could mean a Warrior has access to Short Sword (current sword attack) or New Sword (swipey sword attack) or Spear (does three stabby attacks like the guys in Temple), etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

Dual wielding pls! Getting SAO flashbacks already

Lol at first glance I thought you were referring to wave function. Was disappointed not quantum mechanics :frowning:

Rotational motion in quantum mechanics gets really complicated really fast.

Also, no point in trying to explain realm with quantum mechanics. See this for reference.

Awwww yessssss thank you also can you recommend some reading material for quantum mechanics and spacetime coz the stuff they teach in sch is so minimal.

The General Chat Thread

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.