RIFTS: Infestation [Season 3, Nov 14th to Nov 21st]

Was just about to post some tips as I’ve done a few cems today but…

Was in the last phase of Skuld, the circling skulls did a perfect explosion on me.
:smile::sob:

Yeah, Ceme does seem the out and out toughest of all the godlands dungeons now, difficulty more fitting with an encounter dungeon IMO, since to overcome the HP scaling you either need a select small maxed group, or the whole realm to join. Going in with a small group of random 0/8s and trying to carry them is futile, since they contribute to the scaling which lengthens the fight, and don’t contribute DPS, so it’s a double whammy.

The Death Thread

Nevov has died 3 times on rifts so far

Does this mean I’m better than Nevov? I haven’t died once.

One death, I made a 2nd character to hold other things, that counts for 1 life used.

But I still haven’t died.

At least we know you aren’t!

Don’t draw too much from it! I’d already ruled out doing a high fame run since the mode is so infested with hacked client (saw so many people autonex survive in prev seasons, I’ve got a bit disillusioned with it), and don’t really have the commitment for a 7-day run, certainly not going to make time under that atmosphere.

So I’m only in it for fun purposes this time around (didn’t even play it until today) and decided to set my own ‘victory condition’ of sweeping the board of all the Tinkerer quests – many need cem marks, hence my overloading of that risky dungeon. I was only 2/8 spd/wis, normally wouldn’t be in there until max def.

you cant play on any server except ussouth with the hacked client. (a friend told me it does not let u switch challenger servers)

That’s I’m afraid to say not true, I have been watching people autoaim and autonexus in EUW all day. Edit: and autoloot pots, of course!

interesting then i dont know how they do it

For clarification, clients can only get on their “best server”, but they can’t go anywhere else.

Is this something DECA added, or is it some type of hacked client feature/bug? If the former, DECA should add that to prod, just to make hacking a little inconvenient.

if they can do that why can’t they just make hackers unable to login

Well, I really enjoyed this Rifts a lot, as it mixed two of my favourite dungeons together: Parasite and Oryx/WC, and was strongly focused on the core of kill quests to close realm, repeat.

Pic of the last of us online, in the final infested castle before the servers shut down, @Cantoo & @EatLikeMe (@COOLXXXX too but suicided halfway through castle). We killed O1 one last time and had just arrived at O2, started his their 2nd phase, when the plug got pulled.

Am a bit tired to write proper thoughts as I decided to play it until it ended, so this is a bit rambly, but I thought the whole thing from castle to WC was top design.

The barrelling was good fun to do and meant even cowardish players (like me) could join in all the phases of O2, unlike standard O2’s sun & dance which often get a lot of spectators, and you had to be a bit alert of getting barreled yourself, which kept engagement levels high for me.

Other things at O2: the slight tweaks to lessen the suns equivalent phase, the jumping in the chase phase worked nice and gave me a couple of scares, and especially good was the new simple 3rd/halfway phase “fear the painlings” or whatev, which broke up the normal fight nicely vs standard O2. And O2 seemed to behave better as well, seemed more firmly chained to the middle of the room.

For myself: I loved being back on mystic which I’ve not played for ages; I’d forgotten how much I like using the T6 with careful but fast aiming needed to do curse-but-not-stasis, so if that’s swept away in future orb changes I’ll feel like I had a good farewell run with it. Even the slight regret of not being a faster class (nearly went trix again) was lifted when I got a Conflict as I forgot it did speedy—haven’t used it since the old days with its awful long cooldown—and it’s way better being spammable. (Edit: reading the wiki it changed a year ago.)

Main negative to the season was Cemetery, it was the hardest mark by far to get because of the reworked difficulty. I felt really bad for the 0/8s calling Cems desperately in the last couple of days trying to rustle up people to join, for that single completion, with most (all?) people playing seriously spurning them entirely. Comparing it to with how people were shouting Manors, and some always willing to join that - me included! But cems, nope. Despite it offering high XP, there’s something no longer attractive about that dungeon design, most people in this Rifts ignored it after getting the 1 required mark, and focused on the easier OTs, Tombs, Lockers despite them being rarer, for the 3x and 5x mark quests; and the other godlands dungeons for maxing pots…

Before the end people were even offering Deca rings (on prod) to try and coax others into the dungeon to help out. It’s getting off track, but what if the HP scale didn’t kick in until say 25+ players, so large groups can’t steamroll it, but lesser groups aren’t penalised. Anyway gripe over.

Top 20 Leaderboard

Including forumers @Djimm (1), @TheHangman (3), @Gisgii (5), @HouRz (7), [me] (11), @Rytorria (13), @Volc (19):

I didn’t get my rift rewards?

Though if you were just joking, I can’t tell.

Didn’t notice the note that the reward might take a few days; I got my rewards instantly after the season ended the last 2 rift seasons, so yeah.

This season was pure dog shit.

so when do you guys start the next rift? just came back after 2 years to season 3 rift don’t care to play normal realm just rifts cause starting fresh and having better drop rates is so much fun compared to regular realm.

Ok it’s time I finally replied to this thread now that the heat has died down.

I think Rifts is an extremely frustrating game mode. I’m sure some people out there loved it, but I personally had such an awful experience during my time playing RIFTS.

1. The servers: I would like to start off by saying I think there are simply too many servers open for RIFTS currently. I decided to play on my best server “CUEast” and I found myself in empty realms and empty dungeons. I floundered around for several hours before being told that “CUSWest” was the unofficial RIFTS server. Some individuals on this thread did not view this as an issue. However, I think this is a big issue especially because this is a new game mode that allows you to start from scratch and, in fact, would be one of the best places for a new player to experience ROTMG for the first time. Thus, they need to reduce the number of servers for RIFTS in the future.

2. The incs. I think that O2 requiring an Incantation to open was a huge mistake. The vast majority of my castle runs stopped after O1 because nobody in the group had an inc to use. I personally never obtained an inc in the wild and I only received one from completing the final RIFT quest 8. The incantations severely penalized smaller groups. It was much less likely that a small realm of 25 individuals would have an incantation than a realm full of 50 individuals. Thus, they need to consider buffing inc drops or just removing the inc requirement for O2.

3. The realms. The scarcity of incs and the raw power of large groups resulted in one large realm being constantly full on CUSWest. If you wanted to accomplish your quests in a timely manner, you needed to get into this realm. This led to a large crowd surrounding the realm portal and spending a considerable amount of time waiting for it to open. Personally I do not see why they decided to limit the realm to 50 players. If there’s going to only be one consistently active server, the realms should be at least standard size to accommodate the players. I would also like to add that a realm total amount can be extremely deceiving because people are in dungeons/afk/etc . For instance I entered a realm with “37” people out of 50 and was met with a barren wasteland.

4. The pacing. Now, while you’re waiting for that one realm to open, you might consider going into a smaller realm and completing quests on your own. In RIFTS, that would be a huge mistake. In it’s current state, RIFTS has a terrible pacing problem. Basically, you need to complete quests as fast as possible. Why? Because other players are out there completing their quests as fast as possible.

As time passed, players would get their marks, die, or become bored and log off. This meant that you basically only had 2 days to complete certain quests (such as the Cemetery quest) before they became incredibly hard to complete. Just like Nevov said, nobody wanted to repeat Cemetery after they completed the mark. This made the game incredibly challenging. In my personal opinion, you basically only had 1 single life in RIFTS and if you died, it was game over. You basically only had a few shots at successfully completing a Cemetery.

As a result, RIFTS was a breakneck blitz where you needed to play during the earlier hours to be rewarded.

I agree that this would be the best change possible at the moment.

1. The marks. I understand that Deca regrettably has to limit the amount of vault space we can use to two vaults. However, the quest marks should really be revised so they stack. The players who buy vault space have a significant advantage in competitive mode because they can complete dungeons out of order and hold onto the marks.

I think these points highlight the shortcomings of the RIFTS game mode and I hope the developers can take my advice to try and improve it.

eh