RotMG Art Contest Submission by BullBomber

From top to bottom:
Join the ranks of the greatest legion to protect the Nexus with the Spartan Knight Skin.

Mars, the God of raging wars, urging Oryx the Mad God himself to destroy the Nexus and it’s Heroes!

The Centuria’s Breastplate, Worn by the Protectors of Empire.

All Sprite Credit: BullBomber

@CookieMage told me Spartan is correct…
Mars is a Roman statue, so white, he is wielding mini red Mars orbs and he doesn’t have a giant smile but a white beard!
Changed from Cohort as it was wrong, pointed out by @SuperWizd.

Keep in mind that I am in no way trying to be historically accurate, this is cosmetics and the point is to look nice. So now that some concerns have been addressed criticise the looks now pls.

Wrong. A cohort is a group of soldiers in the Roman Army (i.e. Fifth Cohort). If you want a separate discussion of Cohort look up Cohort (disambiguation).

Why is he swinging a spear? Is he from spear infantry? Otherwise he should be using a gladius.
Why is his armor gold instead of a steel gray if it’s roman themed? And if it’s supposed to be an elite group or something but still based off Romans, why are the secondary colors red instead of purple? Purple is the color of royalty in ancient Rome. Also, if it’s supposed to be based on Roman Legionaries, why is he in what looks to be full chain mail? And why does he look more like a Spartan than a Roman?

I see that you’re getting Mars mixed up with Ares. You see, Mars & Ares may be the same person, but roman mythology Mars & Greek mythology Ares are two very different gods. Mars, in Roman Mythology, is actually very level-headed and was seen as a virtuous figure by the Romans. Furthermore, the Romans believed that Romulus and Remus were actually children of Mars, as they believed Mars raped their mother. This, and the fact that they viewed Mars as the defender of both Rome and the Roman way of life, is why the Romans called themselves “The sons of Mars.”

All of this is to say that, for a Roman theme, Mars is very much the wrong god to use as an enemy of the players if you’re going to portray the players as Romans.

Honestly, looking at this, it seems more like you intended all of this to be Greek themed, with the player skin being a Spartan, and then you remembered the Spiteful Scutum is in the game so you hastily tried to make it Roman instead of Spartan & Greek without doing any research on the major differences between the two.

Honestly has realm proven to have consistency with logic?

don’t you dare try to break my immersion

had a feeling that something was wrong with my understanding lol ty

The only research I had was the percy jackson books (pls don’t crucify me, 13yrs old BullBomber had no friends so I read them all) and the wikipage on the roman military ranks which I have clearly misinterpreted. Also this is more of a tribute to pop culture than history so Mars will be angry!

Well the problem with that is the Percy Jackson stories are about Greek Gods & Greek Mythology, not the Roman counterpart :wink:

Well I am ashamed but I read the spinoffs with the Roman camp and Mars/Areas was still sort of a dick. Anyway once again I understand this is not a fair representation of Mars but one that is more embraced by pop culture and that is the one I’m using as reference.

Tsunami has dared

Nicely done! I enjoy judging people by their sprites, and you seem like a swell person! Keep spriting!

Well, in Heroes of Olympus (i got that from Rick Riordan too) it states that a Cohort is a group, not a rank. Funny, eh?

BTW, love the Ares sprite. Wish that was the character sprite because the shooting animation is insanely cool.

Lol didn’t remember that. the bronze/ golden armour stuck with me the most and Areas being a dick.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.