RotMG:Exalt support via Nvidia GeForce Now

New Exalt client got much higher PC requirements - this may cut off some players (including me ;f) possibility to enter the Realm, so i’ve created a request on Nvidia GFN forum about adding ROTMG to they platform.

Please, go to:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gfn-game-requests/44/255981/request-a-new-game/

search “realm of the mad god” and vote up this post to make it happened.
Also maybe DECA could contact with them - they surely make it then and in no time.

Can you explain what the point of this is?

When developers make an app, including ROTMG, they do not need to get permission from e.g. Nvidia for their game to run. They just make the game and release it and it runs on the supported platforms.

Some games need to pay attention to the latest trends in 3D hardware. But not ROTMG which should have quite low requirements. Also there’s no need for DECA to concern themselves with hardware details as Unity takes care of that very well.

deca for some reason is being hyper-conservative to the point of distortion when it comes to the exalt PC reqs, in the end they really shouldn’t be that high. they’ve tried stressing this point before but it’s not surprising that the footnote is getting getting lost amid the hype and confusion.

similarly to Skandling I would also like to know what exactly you expect this to accomplish. I don’t see what this has to do with anything at all or why this is so necessary.

it’s not about permission from Nvidia, it’s about that ROTMG is actually not supported on GeForce NOW.

GFN add games to their platform when request is posted on their forum and have lot of up-votes.

tbh. right now, im on i3, 8gb ram and Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 2gb vram and i can barely get 40 fps on rotmg “vanilla” (and that’s only on steam, browsers are much worst) so even if Exalt requirements will stay at the same level, it would be nice to play rotmg smoothly via GFN.

(anyway it’s totally free for both sides, so why don’t give a helpfull hand to potato PC players?)

this still doesn’t answer the question for anyone who doesn’t know what that means, but at least it tells me what to google I suppose

… oh god this looks like a huge nasty mess going on jeez

for anyone like me who doesn’t know what GoonkerZ is talking about in the slightest, GeForce NOW is a service Nvidia provides that lets you rent powerful cloud computers to play your games on so you can effectively play on a much more powerful computer than the one you physically own. on paper this sounds like a no-brainer for the users, but the technicalities of how GeForce NOW actually works makes the whole thing a lot less straightforward for the developers of the games that isn’t necessarily a good thing.

the biggest issue I see that can easily be comprehended from the user side of things is that GeForce NOW is a paid subscription service, and that the service only works with certain games (technically there’s also a free version but that limits you for 1 hour sessions which in the context of rotmg is frankly useless). when you put those two things together, Nvidia only makes money off this service by advertising that they have these games, which definitely sounds sketchy to the makers of these games considering that Nvidia apparently isn’t asking for permission. some names I saw while poking around are Activision Blizzard, Capcom, and Bethesda all have had their games pulled from the service in response, as well as this indie developer Raphael van Lierop who had The Long Dark pulled. there are other problems, but they’re technicalities that the average user would probably be inclined to dismiss regardless of the developer’s feelings, even if their complaints in these areas are valid.

as for what this means for rotmg, the ongoing controversy probably doesn’t mean anything unless Deca doesn’t like what they’re doing either. I don’t foresee this having any practical benefit for the game tbh, it’s a paid subscription service and I suspect the majority of the rotmg playerbase doesn’t have or doesn’t want to pay for this service. your current PC specs probably don’t mean much as far as how well you can play the game either, the game is just poorly optimized and runs like garbage. and like I said above, the exalt PC specs are being hyper conservative for some reason and shouldn’t be reflective of what the final result will be. (knowing Deca there’s a nonzero chance they’ll forget to revert their recommended PC specs and miscommunication will quadruple but that’s only a hypothetical disaster atm)

tl;dr: Deca’s bad at recommending PC specs, fussing about with Nvidia GeForce is probably not worth the bother for the tiny handful of players it’s likely to affect.

Sidestepping the can of worms that is “cloud gaming”, your worry is misplaced. You claim that regular realm runs poorly, so you’re expecting your computer to slow to a crawl with Unity?

The flash realm client is poorly optimized, and has had memory leaks since year one. The code was spaghetti, and ran poorly on even PC battlestations. Afaik the new client runs great on all computers above that of a chromebook (for obvious reasons). The specs that you listed are just fine.

Ah, so like Google Stadia. Except people have heard of Stadia, it has Google’s servers, promotion budget behind it, and maybe has a chance of some success. Nvidia not so much. There have been far more failures than successes already, among “playing games on servers” ventures.

It makes little sense for ROTMG I think. First ROTMG is not graphically demanding so does not need the extra GPU grunt Nvidia are able to provide. At the same time for Nvidia it presumably serves as a promotion for their hardware, so they should prefer more graphically demanding games.

More importantly ROTMG is a network game, highly sensitive to latency. It makes no sense to be playing it on a remote server, adding a whole extra two layers of latency. Effectively it would make network lag twice as bad at least. It would also break players connection to their ‘home’ server, as no longer would the geographically closest server to you be best, but the one closest to the GeForce server you are using.

It could be optional, as in people did not have to use it. But if so for the reasons above I confidently predict that almost no-one would play ROTMG on GeForce NOW, and so it would be pointless putting it there.

Ah, if the point of this is to be able to play ROTMG on platforms where you can’t now, then it is entirely the wrong way to go about it.

If you e.g. want to play it on Linux then lobby DECA to make a Linux client. They might even have one in the works, for release after the PC/Mac releases of Exalt. More people asking for it can only make it more likely one gets released.

iOS is possible too, though it would need more work to redesign some features of it to work without a keyboard. Apple TV and Android are similar. Even console ports are possible.

Unity makes all of this relatively straightforward, and I suspect DECA has at least looked into it, to expand the market for the game once the port to Unity for existing players is successful.

I could link to the reddit post again but instead I will link a forum post that links the reddit post

You’re definitely counting your chickens before they hatch (is there a better metaphor for this?). It is Deca’s fault for not making it clear that the specs listed were preliminary, though.

Mate i play Destiny 2 and few other competitive focused FPS and there’s no such problems like latency, pings or whatever, game run 100% like it should be running.

huh gosh… thanks for putting that all out, i was sure that everyone knows about GFN nowdays xD

ok, sorry for not putting things clearly. I was sure that everyone at least heard about GFN xd
good that u all get what is all about.

Thanks for all opinions etc. but it’s all about Vote Up RotMG on GFN forum. Noone loose anything here, only bunch of ppls with potatos PC gonna win here so plx vote it up, at least one person (hope im not only one) gonna have better gameplay experiences if u do it xd

One more thing i need to add here is that GeForce NOW runs also on any android (idk what’s about iOS) so if anyone ever wanted RotMG on mobile, there it is.

I imagine Destiny does this by running their servers on Nvidia’s server hardware. Which in theory ROTMG could do but it would mean moving everyone across to playing on GeForce NOW, which would lose them large numbers of players who just want to keep playing for free on the desktop.

Or they create servers on GeForce NOW, but keep the existing servers for people who want to keep playing on their PCs. This would split the player base, as there would be no way to move between them as we can now. It would also mean twice as much maintenance for two sets of servers, two different clients.

And then there’s this: Nvidia’s GeForce Now loses 2K Games titles, following Activision and Bethesda. Seems the transition from beta to a final paid for service is not going at all smoothly. As I noted above these cloud gaming services are very hard to get right, and most end in failure.

So… what part of my reply did you not understand?

I mean from all testing I’ve seen flash is so poorly optimised that even the worst pc should play better. I went from 40-60 in realm to a smooth 165fps on my main pc and a smooth 60 on my lower end pc

I thought you were saying that you had poor FPS with unity beta, but it turns out you’re talking about your flash client having 40 fps.

Unity Rotmg will be much easier to run than flash, my friend. Our potatoes will run the new game just fine.

All things considered, there is no reason for them to put such a light game on GFN when its requirements are so low it runs on flash at 60fps on a 10 year old computer (like mine).
No one would even play it there.

@BaadGuy Google “rotmg low fps” and look few places, tons of ppls cant play smoothly, but im happy that ur pc handle it without problems but theres maaany configurations etc. handling poorly.

GFN already added lot of small games, also flash based ( ec. Clicker Heroes or Idle Champions of Forgotten Realms) so it’s not really problem for them, also idk why u all so negative… Rotmg could be accesible to more ppls, noone pay, loose nor anything, also could be accesed on all android and iOS devices - but ok… dont vote up if it so much.

Seems like topic can be closed.

They just give u Virtual Machine with good spec and let u run Steam/EpicGames/Uplay etc. on it, so stop imagine xd And no player base go split -.- I suggest to get some info first and then speculate on public mate.

And also “this” , GFN is free, and only thing is that u have to relog every 1h. U can buy premmy acc and limit goes to 6h. They give powerfull machines and also they need to earn $$ somehow for it - still its very good deal for any user. There was no service like this (running like it should) till now, and few greedy corp like Activision and all others want them to pay letting they games be on GFN platform.

It’s like - u visit me and i let u play on my pc for now, ur logging on ur own steam and play ur own games and those greeedz dev’s says “no way, pay us again” lol

no words for this situation.

I know that flash is bad. It works like a slide show presentation software. Actually, it’s a miracle this game even starts every time you click the play button.

I’d totally vote for it if it pops up though. I just don’t see the need for such a platform when Unity will make the game run smoother than before. I’d like to try it out on open beta before jumping to conclusions.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.