Samurai not getting enough love?

I don’t mean to suck on the samurai’s pee pee too much, but why does it seem like the Samurai is underrated? Do people think he’s too under-powered? Is he just boring? I thought the samurai really sucked at first too, but after playing him for a while, he became one of my favorite classes because of his ability.

High Burst Damage:
Samurai may be lacking in weapon dps but his ability’s dps more than makes up for it, only being rivaled by the wizzy. Tiered wakis alone can do 1800 damage in one fell swoop, and with its low-ish 80mp cost, can be just as spammable as a spell. Not to mention, it also exposes which will boost consecutive waki attacks after.

Consistency:
Unlike spell bombs, wakis deal much more damage per shot and has less shots to hit. Not to mention, piercing shots; resulting in higher dps on higher defense targets than most spell bombs. Sure it has a limited range but being a samurai, you’re going to be fighting around that close anyways.

UT:
Samurais have a nice selections of UT’s. Crossing fires for tons of damage. The Eastern winds is actually the best waki IMO. It covers a wide area acting almost like an AOE and from my experience, consistently hits enemies for around 1000 damage a pop. The Void Blade is also surprisingly useful for rushing dungeons and specific bosses like the Crystal Worm Mother because if you didn’t know, with the Samurai’s 75 att cap, the void blade is his strongest weapon aside from the Celestial Blade.

Honestly most people probably haven’t played the class much, another reason being that there aren’t many white bag katanas

ronin waki time

Katanas are weird. Is it a melee or a ranged class? Samurai feels like he should be played as a melee since he has higher def, yet if you compare him to the other 3 melees then he lacks alot. I don’t like the idea of a melee class having to rely on sort of a caster ability to maximize his damage, melees should rely on their close range. Daggers are also somewhere in between but those have abilities that makes up for that. Cloak, poison and prism. I think katanas were a mistake to start with.

Don’t really know how good it is for a midgame player, but if you can spam the wakis with a divine mheal, its very strong.

I really appreciated the extra range but heavy armor when I first played the class. Currently working on maxing another one since I have an Eastern Winds, a Ronan, and a doku. I think people don’t want to rely on ability damage since it is so common to be silenced or quieted in some of the harder dungeons, and the dps drops sharply if that happens to you :confused:

Don’t forget that Ronin has the second-longest slow in the game (only technically outclassed by Honeytomb, which has an effective 7.2s slow) for only 70 mana!

Honestly, Samurai is just overshadowed by other melee classes.
Just you wait til IC/OoC hits, I think there’ll be more peeps realizing that Samurai is good, too, then!
…well, if it’s implemented…

Well ninja is my favourite class

Why?..

Its too bad that people need a large number of UT’s for it to be a reason to play a class, though i believe the samurai still has a nice selection for his wakis. Doku is kinda just mediocre as a UT now too so i can see what you mean.

I’ve never actually been able to get a ronin so i don’t know how its like lol.

But don’t the 3 sword classes rely on their caster ability to maximize damage anyways? Both the warrior and pally buff while the knight’s shield does burst damage like the waki. As for the katanas, i agree it is a bit awkward for the samurai, despite being kinda like a melee class, he doesn’t have the dps of one much less his ninja counterpart. But its not without its versatility. Crowd control and range. Though i believe its his ability that makes him shine.

These caster abilities you speak of are buffing abilities, not the knight, that empowers the entire group, which kinda makes it a ± 1 so we can rule that out. The knight shield does insane damage but requires you to get close and personal to maximize damage. The wakis on the other hand have some kind of range wich let’s you sit back at a rather safe distance. Pally and warrior would be rather bad if they didn’t have their abilities but they still feel, along with the knight, like proper melee classes, the samurai don’t. I just don’t like the playstyle of katana. The samurai ability makes no sense imo. It would be alot cooler if it had like a warbanner or some shit that he placed, like a marble seal which buffs the surrounding classes or maybe adds a debuff to enemies. Right now it feels like a spellbomb to make up for what the class lacks.

That is a good point, but i don’t think people get quiet or silenced that often. I’ve played in plenty of higher dungeons like the nest or shats and haven’t really noticed a consistent inability to use the waki.

What is a proper melee class? high damage, low range? Maybe the samurai isn’t meant to be just a melee class. Under the perspective of being a melee class, he is the weakest link since katana dps is sub-par. But maybe he’s suppose to be right in the middle. A hybrid or something. And isn’t the fact that the waki having more range than a shield a good thing? Maybe not in the definition of what a melee class should be but for practicality. And aren’t abilities suppose to make up what the class lacks. Rouge lacks defense, so he goes invisible. Paladin lacks Vit so he heals. Knight lacks range so he stuns. I think his ability is fine as is since its not something that just deals high damage but also debuffs enemies.

I dunno man. The question was why people don’t play the samurai and I think the answer is rather obvious. Where does OP wanna see samurai? Halls? Shatts? Same reason we don’t see alot of ninjas. There are just too many great alternatives, which is fine on it’s own and I really don’t mind samurai just being the class that you 5 star last.

It’s just ninjas aren’t actually THAT squishy yet also deal fucktons of dps and being able to snipe. What does samurai have? An ability that has a bit less dps than spells but almost always goes on target, heavy armor, a piercing csword on 24/7 (I almost always play csword/ass cuz i suck at dodging)

But maybe the problem is the lack of tradable skins…

One thing that will help is the planned rework of abilities. I mean if Berserk, Damaging are nerfed so they are only half as effective, and some abilities (non-helms, non-seals basically) have them removed altogether, then Curse and Exposed become much more important in maximising a group’s ability to do damage.

But yeah, it does suffer a lot from just not being distinctive enough. It’s a bit like a melee (slow, tanky) except with a Katana. But there are swords that have greater range and hit multiple enemies, for when that’s useful. Waki is a lot like shields (high damage over short range) but shields have a much more useful status effect. Wakis can work around and over obstacles, but so can sceptres, traps, poisons,

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.