Should players who admit to hacking be banned from forums?

Absolutely. Posting screenshots of a hacked client is encouraging and enlightening. I downloaded a hacked client a year ago and continued to play on easy mode for about 6-8 months because I saw screenshots of what it could do posted in a discord.

Which is another reason why having hacked clients screenshots on the forums is bad, it increases exposure, harmful especially to newer players.

Cheating is an in-game disruption.

For it to become a bannable offense on the forums, you need to explain how it disrupts the activity of the forums.

I don’t see how every single cheater being laughed at and hacks being systematically called out somehow equates to hacks being “normalized”.

Which means your only reason for hacks to be banned on the forums boils down to “I think hacks are bad, therefore people who admit to hacking should be banned”.

I don’t think that’s enough.

Mods get an alert every time someone gets flagged. I’m pretty sure if they keep seeing the same name pop up all the time, they’re going to notice.

You still haven’t explained why that’s such a bad thing.

The only thing posting a screen cap of you cheating does is make everyone on the forum laugh at you. What, is making people laugh a bannable offense now?

Most cheaters find out about hacks because of the people they play with, or because they looked up “rotmg hacks” on Google.

On the forums, what they’re going to see is mostly how much the community despises cheaters and all the reasons why cheating is a bad idea.

K.

And what about the mods?

Sure, the forumers will be against a hacker posting their ss. But the players have little control over the hacker’s actions. The most they can do is flag the post, which requires another reason entirely for said post to be flagged, such as being offensive. Yet mods have power over the hacker, they can do something to prevent it from happening or continuing.

Exposure is exposure. If a new player sees a hacked client on the forums, that’s just adding to it, not helping.

allowed to post hacks frequently without consequences = less of other posts, and even perhaps other people will resort to flame the hacker, which also results in less activity in other places.

If your solution is letting people freely post hacks and the community’s only reaction is to flag then that alone won’t work. If harsher consequences aren’t put into place then in the long term then it will reach a point in which its no longer as frown upon as it is now, and thats a problem we don’t want (as if hacks aren’t common already).

FYI there is a section in the Hard and Fast Forum Rules addressing cheat/hack client use.

It’s unambiguous (my bolding):

So flag such posts, with: It’s Inappropriate, as in breach of community rules, and let the mods take the appropriate action.

Have the mods taken action before with a person posting themselves hacking?

No one has posted them selves hacking on purpose. So no.

I think a player named book something posted a picture of themselves on purpose hacking in the white bag thread. And the post wasn’t hidden.

I don’t remember, all I recall is the person did confess to posting the screenshot, and it was not hidden + no mod action was taken.

Shut the [expletive] up book

wow I expected better behavior from a forum leader…

I remember it was in a ot :thinking:

It was a fake screen shot

@moderators he’s doing it again.

There was even a gif of him making it!

It’s like you guys have never heard of the Streisand effect.

It’s also like you don’t realize that your cute little “denial of exposure” tactic also means talking about hacks at all would become a bannable offense, meaning you and everyone else in this thread would get instabanned and any further discussion would have to be silenced just as quick.

wat

He’s still making sockpuppets? Is there some sort of competition between Dthnider and him for who can own the most banned accounts on the forums?

Actually haven’t though…one second…

Well, I can see this being true with something such as hiding evidence for a crime. But that doesn’t apply here? It’s permanently deleting the screenshots so they are not seen, not hiding them so they can be found again.

Think that last part went a bit too far.

But openly talking about hacks is already being censored anyways.

Promoting hacks in any way results in a flag and can lead to a ban. Mods (and now leaders too) edit posts to remove names of hack clients. The only way that hacks aren’t being censored are with screenshots.

Though I am not talking about discussing hacks, for example, having a discussion about them being bad and ways to prevent it. I honestly do encourage those discussions. I don’t expect new players to be completely shielded like babies; they will figure out hacks exist one way or another. But screenshots of hacked clients can expose features that new players shouldn’t need to know, which can sway their decision on using them. And even if they come across these screenshots somewhere else, I’d rather it not be the forums.

Also I never left. :frowning:

Your idea is to try and hide the existence of hacks from newer players. This method has only two possible outcomes:

• either you’re right about exposure on the forums mattering, and people will push back against you to make what you’re trying to hide more known;

• or you’re wrong about that and the forums will look like a hugbox of idiots who refuse to address the elephant in the room.

You mean the features they will know anyway if they take part in any discussion about hacks?

I think at this point it’s a safe bet to say you’re making this conversation go nowhere on purpose. Have fun getting eventually banned for the 4th or 5th time, I guess.

No, I never said hiding the existence of hacks itself. Again,

Its the existence of certain hack features that can should not be exposed.

The only features that are talked about on the forums are those that directly hinder a player’s experience (i.e. reconnecting into a dungeon and stealing someone’s loot). There are of course many other features that should not and have not been discussed, which a screenshot of a hacked client can provide and tempt a newbie with.

Only reason that comes to mind as to why you think this is going nowhere is you are failing to see things from another perspective.

No, I am trying to have a discussion because we have different views. I am open to your points and do agree with some of them. But just because you do not agree with me doesn’t mean I’m making this conversation is going nowhere at all.

Again: it doesn’t matter what you’re trying to hide or why. The more you push for it to be swept under the rug, the more of a pushback you’re going to get in response.

Every single client modification currently available has been discussed at some point on the Realmeye forums, so I don’t know which forums you are talking about here but it’s clearly not those.

You also seem to be under the misguided belief that you get to decide what can and cannot be talked about.

Every hack affects non-cheating players sooner or later, directly or indirectly. Any attempt to make distinctions based on “how much it affects you” is therefore arbitrary and ultimately pointless.

I legitimately don’t see the logic behind your point of view and there are currently no objective facts that support it.

I think why unselfish thinks that we should not talk about certain things is that so new players are not incentivised to start hacking based off of what they read about hack clients