Simple Tiered Ring Rebalance

There was a post with a very similar idea to this one, but since it is locked, I’ve decided to make a new thread.

All tiered rings have a fixed stat bonus relative to its tier. For HP/MP rings, this stat bonus is multiplied by 10 so that HP/MP stat bonuses have a 10:1 ratio to other stat bonuses.

Stat Bonuses by Tier
(Old Bonus -> New Bonus)
T1: 3 -> 2
T2: 5 -> 4
T3: 6 -> 6
T4: 7 -> 8
T5: 8 -> 10
T6: 9 -> 12

HP/MP Stat Bonuses by Tier
(Old Bonus -> New Bonus)
T1: 40 -> 20
T2: 80 -> 40
T3: 100 -> 60
T4: 120 -> 80
T5: 140 -> 100
T6: 180 -> 120
Deca: 190 HP -> 130 HP

Okay. The simple part is over- but to most of you this is just a list of numbers. Time for the justifications, the meat of this post.

1.) Why nerf HP/MP rings?

Statistically, current HP and MP rings just impact more of your stats than any other tiered ring type. While most ring types typically impact around 8-15% of your stat total, HP rings consistently improve your HP by 15-30%. MP rings are even more broken from this perspective- a UBMP can nearly double the available mana of a class that maxes at 252 MP.

This is something that’s easily verifiable with a little math. It doesn’t try to address biases such as people naturally preferring HP over DEF, or the mechanical usefulness of each stat. HP and MP rings just have more stats than other rings. The easiest solution, is therefore a nerf.

2.) Why a 10:1 ratio?

To create this ratio, I decided to aim specifically at the balance between DEF and HP- as both stats serve the same function- yet HP is far more desirable in its current state. The ratio between HP and DEF is not consistent across tiers but is roughly similar to the ratio between UBHP and UBDEF, which is 20:1.

Both stats serve the function of making sure you don’t die. However, in order to compare their rough effectiveness to each other, we have to convert DEF to effective HP.

DEF reduces a fixed number of damage per shot. To convert DEF to effective HP, we have to think about how many shots we’re taking.

i.e. 2 DEF is equivalent to 10 effective HP if you take 5 defense-reducible shots. We won’t take into account the 85%/90% damage threshold just to keep the model simple enough.

Under the current ring system, when would you pick a UBDEF over a UBHP? The answer lies in the ratio.

For every 1 DEF provided by a UBDEF to even with every 20 HP provided by a UBHP, you’d need to take a whopping 20 defense-reducible shots. If we’re taking into account a level 20 character with 600 HP (unmaxed), each of those shots would have to deal less than 30 damage (post-existing def). Last time I checked, most things that get 20 chances to hit you without regen will kill you outright. 20 shots is usually the thickness of a ring shotgun, or the equivalent of “sitting on boss”.

Let’s introduce the new ratio.

For every 1 DEF provided by a new DEF ring, to even with every 10 HP provided by a new HP ring, you’d need to take 10 defense-reducible shots. If we’re taking into account our 600 HP, each of the shots would have to deal less than 60 damage (post-existing def). 10 hits- while still fairly dangerous, is a far more reasonable comparison.

Endgame content like halls will still always prefer HP rings (as 10+ hits in halls is usually death), but for most tiers of progression, the comparison is a viable one and both ring types will prove to be helpful in mitigating death to a similar degree.

I still personally believe that with the 10:1 ratio, HP is slightly more desirable than DEF in most scenarios. However, I am counting on the 90% dmg threshold and Armored nerf to roll around soon, as those in combination with this ring rebalance will put DEF and HP on a much more even playing field.

3.) Vit and Wis rings are still pretty much useless.

This isn’t something that can be fixed through tiered rings- the problem lies in the stats themselves. VIT and WIS are supremely underpowered stats that require buffs in themselves to compete with the other ring types. I am keeping the scope of this rebalance low enough that this won’t be a problem.

4.) What about UT rings?

UT rings could have a lot to look at- but their balance is far more intricate than I am qualified to deal with. However, since most UT rings tend to have higher stat totals (assuming HP/MP is at a 10:1 ratio with other stats) than tiered rings at the point of progression that they lie, I hoped that buffing most tiered rings overall would put them at better standing against UT rings.

A new UBATT/UBDEX could potentially outDPS a Forgotten Crown in very specific situations, but lacks all the HP of the Crown. A new UBHP will still beat out a Crown in terms of survivability, but lacks the DPS stats. Considering the current state of Crown as a rare and extremely desirable UT ring for endgame, I think these are fair comparisons. Something like Crown shouldn’t just be a sidegrade to much easier to obtain UB rings.

5.) Why change Deca then?

I am not trying to rebalance UT rings- as stated in the point above. However, Deca’s identity is unique that it used to be the T6 HP ring, and was only made a separate item later on in the game. Therefore, Deca’s balance is strongly tied to the value of the T6 HP ring. Any significant changes to tiered rings have to account for Deca as well.

6.) Why start at +2? Doesn’t that nerf low tier rings?

T1 rings are actually a bit of a power spike at that point of progression- most armors in that level struggle to beat a stat total of +6, and it’s very clearly shown throughout the games that rings are the least important of the 4 equipment pieces in the game. Despite that, a T1 HP ring can boost up to 40% of your HP and a T1 DEF ring can pretty much substitute an armor for the early game.

However, there’s so little concern about this point of the game that I feel a better excuse for this is even numbers. Maybe at some point, Deca as well as players concerned in the balance/design of this game will realize just how important the earlygame actually is. That’s enough of my rambling.

Just a whole lotta polls
Buff Tiered Rings

Wanna ruin me ?

Yeah i feel like these nerfs are a bit extreme

You just want to nerf them because you can’t afford them :frowning:

that’s exactly 99% of the playerbase

yes even me

Uhm lemme just check your graveyard real quick…

+1

oh hey its rotmg troller

With the coming pet nerf, the game should balance itself out. Weakening the strength of pet makes endurance more important then only surviving instakills.Def’s gonna take over

I think that Rifts proved the opposite; most people still ended up using HP rings. While DEF certainly benefits from a pet nerf, HP rings are still far too strong for DEF rings to ever really compete with them. (Not to mention every other ring also should have a fighting chance against HP, but they didn’t even get into the Tinkerer quest for exa rings.)

THe only time when equipment really matters is in the endgame is it not

No, actually. No. Equipment matters midgame, and at the start of the game, as well. Most of us here can easily reach level 20 on any char, and so that dulls down the “start of the game” part, to this audience. However, for a lot of players, they can’t reach 8/8, or 6/8. Equipment is still important doing non-endgame dungeons, (abbys, sew, ect.) For players who dont have the skill (or discord server, i should say instead) to do LH or nests, they dont need to focus their equips around fighting in those specific dungeons. I don’t really know if i made my point clear or not.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.