Skull of Endless Torment Rework/Resprite - JohnMH's Version

Skull of Endless Torment Rework

Remade%20Torment

Description remains the same.

Skull: 260 Damage (+4.5 every Wis past 50)
Radius: 2 Squares
Defense Ignored: 60
Heal: 80 in 4 Squares (+0.4 squares every 10 Wis past 50)
Effect on Self:
Berserk for 2 Seconds
On Equip:
+40 Maximum HP
+3 Defense
+2 Attack
+2 Dexterity
MP Cost: 120
Fame Bonus: 6%
Feed Power: 1100

This rework doesn’t add some crazy new effect or anything, but it gives a bit more character to the skull. It does slightly less damage and heals less/in a smaller radius, but has slightly more range for damage, and while it costs a bit more, it acts as a counterpart to Memento Mori in that it gives Berserk, rather than Damaging, but for less time.

This, of course, would make Endless Torment that little bit more worth using over Memento Mori, even if not fully. (Even though Memento Mori is a little OP, all things considered…)

As for the sprite, the original is kinda just… bad. So, I opted to make it fit more with the theme of the Lair of Shaitan!

Also, yes I’m aware that there is already a rework being done, but frankly, it sucks ass.

I’m a fan of this idea, though I do prefer the original sprite for the item. This sprite is far better, I’d just prefer the old sprite to stay.
In terms of the small berserk duration, it’s really good and that’s what’s attracted me to the idea.
In my opinion, you should have left the stat bonuses how they were (remove the attack bonus and go back to 3 defense basically), the attack seems unnecessary in my opinion.For me, the radius should still remain at 1.75 (smaller) and have you bring the damage back up by like 10 or 20.
Other than those few nitpicks, I’m really fond of it.

Good Job John :+1:

Source

Ah my bad, I must’ve got Dex and Def mixed up…it’s like 1am and my eyes aint workin like they used to

I really like the sprite, the idea I’m not as sure about.

By nerfing the direct damage output, heals and mp cost I feel like this rework isn’t really an upgrade.
It shifts the skull towards something more offensive, but for me that just brings it into the shadow of Memento Mori rather than giving it its own niche.

The heal is lowered by 10, and the damage is lowered by 20. Damage lost is made up for by having Berserk, and by a longshot.

As for Memento…

Yeah but rather than a counterpart it just feels like it’s the etherite/cdirk conflict/bearer pixie/dblade problem all over again, where an ST completely fills the niche of a rare UT.

While this ST isn’t tradeable, which gets rid of the main problem, it still fits into the same category for me.

Both are similar, but not to the point they feel like copies of each other, at least in my opinion. It’s easier to do it like this than to give it some insane damage buff to match the damage aspect of Memento Mori, because this is more original than simply amplifying the stats it had.

Also, still, Memento is WAY too powerful. It wouldn’t be putting Torment under any sort of shadow if it were properly balanced in the first place.

Does it though? This concept instead of having the item be both an inferior damage dealer skull (compared to Memento or Cultist’s) and support skull (compared to Sealed Crystal Skull or Esben’s) gives an alternative to Memento, that instead of allowing you to go damaging, lets you heal and go berserk. That’s a pretty major difference given that those are 2 seperate dps buffs and if you have a paladin in your group, using Memento is, at the very least, suboptimal. And as mentioned before, Torment has access to healing, whereas the ST skull does not because it only focuses on dealing pure unfiltered damage.
Besides, putting something like a purification gimmick on an item that says ‘Endless Torment’ is fairly odd.

I have a dream that the shaitan’s skull would give speedy :’)

I’ve come back from the dead just this once to tell you that’s a terrible idea.

pretty toxic tbh

it’s da pure truth dude

Well, I’d like to think of it like this:

(I assume) the crux of the “don’t give shaitan’s skull speedy” argument is that it would become overloaded.

However, it heavily lacks any sort of niche that would make it unique. Right now it gives a nice stat boost and good damage in exchange for a small radius. Pretty boring, not really worth using over a combination of the cursing skull, slowing skull, T6 skull, or buffing spell.

For the sake of simplicity, I’ll bunch together similar stats/bonus into “points” when discussing the pros/cons of items (i.e. an item that gives stats x, and doesn’t do anything else interesting would have 1 point, and each other pro would give another).

Now, the shaitan’s skull has a total of two points. It gives some really nice stat boosts, and has a good healing/damage niche. Now we can look at some other speedy-granting abilities on other classes and compare them to shaitan’s skull.

Geb tome: Gives a nice stat buff, gives speedy, heals, and puris everyone. Four points.

ST Quiver: Gives stats (I count it because the rest of the set is pretty well rounded), has CC, and gives speedy. Three points.

Orb of conflict: Gives meh stats, gives speedy, gives damaging, can stasis. 3.5 points.

Tiered helms (doesn’t really count cuz broken): Gives a tonne of def, gives AoE berserk, gives speedy. 13213 points.

Basically, my point is; there’s a lot of other ways to get speedy, with them also being better in other ways (two of these ways are on other robe classes!)

It’s a terrible idea because it’s no longer unique. Too many classes have access to it via UTs, and 3 classes have access to it with just tiered items.

Also, it doesn’t fit with the item what-so-ever.

I’d argue that it giving berserk is even worse, then. Since so many people can just nab some berserk so many ways.

tbh, I don’t really know what would fit to give this skull.

Speedy can be used (without Speedy Sprouts) by:

• Warrior (Tiered)
  • Rogue (Ghastly Drape)
  • Mystic (Orb of Conflict/Soul of the Bearer)
  • Ninja (Tiered)
  • Priest (Tome of Holy Guidance/Book of Geb)
  • Archer (Quiver of Shrieking Specters)

Berserk can be used by:

• Mystic (T5/T6/Soul of the Bearer)
  • Warrior (Tiered)

You’ve got some faulty logic. A group buff doesn’t change the fact next to nothing is actually able to have Berserk on an item.

New Sprite is my fav as of now
I have to agree with @survivor here, making another damage skull, however the stats compare, tries to fill the niche already occupied by the memento Mori. Maybe a different status effect like bleeding?

That just kind of makes it like a Skull that also activates Poison damage. Bleeding is… not very good against the enemy.

Touche. Point is I don’t think another damaging skull is necessary. Making it too op would overclass memento Mori, and making it underpowered would make it useless. Memento dominates its own niche and rightfully so.