Smol Ideas Thread

Random, unrelated ideas I had, because I’m bored.

#1: What if some dungeons, IF they have at least one troom, have a chance to drop a “2nd floor key” that can be used after defeating a troom to open up a second floor to the dungeon? This second floor would be one of two things. Either a new dungeon of similar design, but harder (kinda like a heroic dungeon) or the same dungeon of a higher tier. In the first case, it would drop a greater stat pot. This probably applies to just a few dungeons (probably snake, sprite, sew, pup, udl, and abby).

#2: What if invisibility made your hitbox smaller? It wouldn’t really change its utility when rushing, but it would make the rouge more usefull in situations other than rushing. I kinda like the idea of the rouge being a dodging/survivability/soloist class, and this fits nicely into that niche.

#3: Make only some specific shots give i-frames. I know i-frames have been brought up before, and most people (myself included) seem to dislike the idea, generally speaking. However, I don’t see any glaring issues with the idea of making only some particularly powerful or damaging shots give a few i-frames. I’m thinking shots that do 250-300 damage (although definitely not all of those) or shots that have a higher than normal chance of causing annoying insta-pop deaths (like megamoth jump phase).

#4: The Collector. I thought of this one as a possible solution to the problem(?) of the shatters being too long, although it could be applied to other dungeons. I, like many, feel like the shatters is annoyingly long, unless it’s done hyper efficiently, but I also like the idea of a full-length adventure of a dungeon. Simply increasing the loot dropped from the bosses doesn’t seem like a good idea, because then you are left with the problem of “I’ve been clearing this dungeon for 30 minutes and just had to nexus in the first boss fight.” So, what if there was an npc, the collector, in the shatters that you could trade “soul” to get loot, like stat pots, weak uts, blueprint fragments, improved chances of loot in the bosses, etc. Soul would be obtaned by killing enemies in the dungeon. When an enemy dies, it gives a certain amount of soul, depending on the difficulty of the enemy, distributed according to damage dealt.

That’s enough for now, opinions, criticism, and counter-ideas welcome.

I can’t see #1 happening for a couple of reasons. It’s not good design to need you to do one dungeon before another, especially not with only a random chance – imagine if you wanted to grind it. I know Crystal Cavern does but the dungeons are distinct but thematically linked. And besides it’s bad design there too.

Mostly though it means designing them, balancing them, testing them. For dungeons not much different from existing dungeons. Better to spend the effort on entirely new dungeons.

#2 the game is designed around the current hitbox size.

#3 is interesting but I think will be trumped by the changes I think they still have planned to encounters. The addition of cooldowns for status effects, both on enemies and players. So no more permastunning bosses, and no need for designers to add stun immunity to stop you doing it. My point is if players get cooldowns that is a form of relief from effects, just not the one you want. It will radically change encounters, so much that i-frames might not be needed – or they might be even more useful but it’s impossible to say now.

(when will this happen? I’ve no idea. They are definitely working on it though and had it on testing once a few months back)

#4 I don’t really know as I have very limited Shatts experience. the two earlier bosses and some of the minions drop stuff though, so you have chances of loot even if you don’t complete the whole thing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.