Software for sprite making

Is there any free software you can suggest me?
Must be:
-able to save/ organize projects
-save color palettes binded to the sprites (you can change a color in your palette to change it on the sprites using it automatically).-optionally do animations, export in gif.

I don’t know about saying and organizing projects. And I’m not that experienced in Sprite Making so I wouldn’t know a lot.

But I know Photoshop can do animations (in keyframes) and you can export it in a gif.

I am currently using photoshop, but there may be something more specialized for it.

Ah, my apologies. :+1:

I didn’t knew about keyframe, ty!

I just use http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/draw.html and screenie the photo on right after zooming it 300% btw keep in mind you can just remove backround

I use it as well, but the problem is that if I want to do a modification I have to copy/paste color codes and do it again, and that it puts some shading at the bottom that I want to get rid of to do tiles.

Is there a way to remove background grey directly?

Not that I know of.
Bloodqwen a known art maker uses paint.net to make his sprites but I`m not sure how he does it cos well I have paint.net and I dont see anything like that

A good program is the PISKELapp standalone. It’s pretty easy to use and I believe it meets all your criteria.

I’ll try it thank you!

I’d agree with that, but I generally use the web client as it’s less of a hassle for me.

Not directly in the maker itself.
For Photoshop, I first use a Magic Eraser to delete the majority of the gray with anti-aliasing (or w/e it’s called) on, a visibility of 100% and the other option set to 32.
I then use a select tool to create a “seperate layer through cutting” for the remaining, smaller parts of gray right next to the sprite, then delete those layers - et voilà.

Also, should you post the sprites, don’t forget shadows! POWER made a super handy guide on doing these shadows as well as other sprite stuff; he uses a Magic Wand tool to select gray, then deletes, which is probably better than what I just said…

I use paint.net, you can get plugins for pretty much everything, I have one for outlines and spritesheet animation! Hope this helps you!

Edit: I start off making the sprite on a 8x8 then I upsize it using nearest neighbor to 80x80, then I change canvas size to 82 and move the sprite into the middle and use a script to make a outline and shadow.

Thank you a lot guys, those will be helpful!

I use gimp to make sprites. The only tools you really need to worry about when making sprites with it are the pencil, scale and outline selection tools.

Duuude I need help with paint.net
How do I get plugins and shit ?
I got the actual thing itself though

watch this!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.