Some VERY controversial ideas

TRICKSTER ABILITY USABILITY FIX:
In the current state of the game tricksters are really fun. Unfortunately, they are also incredibly frustrating to play. Trickster’s clones run the direction you were moving when you teleport, but because of latency this can often be quite buggy and in the heat of battle you may send several clones the wrong way because you didn’t run forward long enough for the server to receive your current direction. Instead, prisms should send a clone to direction the camera is facing. This would make trickster much faster paced, easier to play and more responsive.

HP/MP POTIONS FROM GLANDS:
After playing an npe account, I realized that godlands and many dungeons drop hp potions far too infrequently. Gods should drop hp/mp potions in public bags with relative frequency. Running sprite worlds I found I soon had no health potions. I had to join my guild to fix my potion problem by bugging Guill for pots. New players often don’t know about Guill, and often know nothing of guilds in general.

LEVELING:
I have been leading a guild in which I teach new players how to max 6/8. Like I was serious about taking in completely new players, 1 star off the beach. In my time with them I have learned that the two main barriers for new players are how long it takes to level to 20 after each death (especially without armor) and how long it takes to recover after taking damage.

First, I will address leveling. Leveling in ROTMG is an artifact of bad game design. This game was designed for a contest and as such there are design elements we must out-grow. When I first encountered ROTMG 8 years ago, leveling to 20 WAS endgame. There were no stat potions at all. With the addition of maxing, leveling became redundant. The item crawl alone is enough of a growth mechanic that doing away leveling entirely would hardly be changing the game. Even for “pro” players rolling is just annoying, hence XP potions. It also frustrates me to realize that 95% of the map is used for 5% of the game while you either level or chase down events in lowlands. With leveling removed, perhaps players could spawn in only one section of the map (as opposed to all sides) and events could own sections of the map, which must be cleared to go to oryx. Only some events would spawn randomly. There could be areas of the map other than godlands that are actually worth playing in. Think of the possibilities!

And yes, I am totally OK with level 20 players spawning on beach, and crawling to godlands by virtue of gear alone. I’d love to let people play the game instead of forcing them to spend most of their time trying to get to level 20 so that they can actually go to godlands.

The only difficulty would be with the current implementation of quests. This could be solved by introducing kill quests that would direct players steadily towards harder areas. Stuff like kill 5 Elf mages. Highlands are scary, level 1 or level 20.

Let people play the game instead of forcing them to spend most of their time trying to get to level 20 so that they can actually go to godlands.
I had several people quit the game before they ever even made it to 20. Incidentally, most of my real life friends I have introduced to ROTMG have quit before hitting 20
as well.

VIT/WIS CHANGES:
Before pets were introduced, vit and wis had their effects doubled. This was a godsend. It used to take 8 minutes to heal, and priests in the godlands could earn pots simply following small groups and healing them. People would donate out of gratitude. We all had hotkeys to ask for HP. This is not the game we are playing today. We are not on an even playing field anymore.

Unfortunately this makes being near players with strong pets incredibly dangerous for new players. It also makes it difficult for them to learn how to play. We naturally learn by watching others. If you follow a pro player and try to do what they do, you will die. New players also do not have the support networks of constant healing they would have had in the old days to learn harder content and godlands. The game has become a fast paced place in which players don’t need healers for most dungeons.

Vit and Wis need to be re-evaluated. It’s OK if their increase makes players with pets OP because They already are OP. We need to focus on how to capture new players for the game.

At 75 vit, the current rate is 10 hit points per second. This means that it will take a minute for players to heal 600 on a maxed knight. However, when they’re playing an unmaxed rogue with 25 vit they will heal 4 HPP/s (Health points per second). It will take them almost 3 minutes of standing still to heal fully. This might sound reasonable, but for a new player it might mean that their ratio of playtime vs down time is ridiculous and boring.

This becomes more obvious with an example:
If a new player takes 10 seconds to clear a room in an abyss and there are 20 rooms in an abyss,
but must heal a modest 300 health per room traveled, they must heal a total of 6000 health to complete just the rooms leading to the boss. If they are an unmaxed knight with 40 vit it will take 1034 seconds of healing. That’s 17.3 minutes of healing compared to the 200 seconds or 3.3 minutes of actually playing. That’s a 5:1 ratio of downtime vs playing time.

This is even more of a problem before level 20, which may be relieved by adding a higher straight bonus to the vit calculations. (It is currently HPPS = 1 + 0.12 * vit) If it were 4 or 5 + 0.12 vit, that may be enough to solve the problem by itself. Experiment. Though, keep in mind you also want vit to feel substantial when you drink it. If the initial value is high, vit/wis will feel watered down and less necessary. Wis following suit at half the speed of vit feels about right.

Cronus/bulwark buffs:
Neither of these weapons do as much damage as they should. They are both cool and incredibly rare. They should both do the most damage available for their respective weapon classes, as dagger classes currently lack an EP/Dblade/bulwark/void blade style weapon.

Etherite is tradable, and should not do more damage than the cronus. Bulwark is incredibly hard to use and would benefit from both a boost to it’s damage
and usability by removing the rotating bullet spawns. Either way, boost the damage. It does less damage than the new flower wand, which is ridiculous.

Guild Vaults:
Guild vaults need to be implemented. In order to avoid the potential abuse of being used exclusively by one player, they should be very fame intensive. Roughly a year and a half of heavy guild membership of high fame individuals has left my guild with nearly 1,000,000 guild fame (920,000.) If chests cost 50,000 fame, they will be hard to achieve by solo players using them as a way to avoid buying vaults, while also allowing guilds with lots of players to buy them slowly. Experiment, look at your data for how much fame guilds have. Maybe wait until fame changes are released.

Guild training rooms:
It would be a huge boon to the community if guilds were able to run all of the dungeons without the potential of death or loot. It would allow for us to train new players and learn new content as a unit, unafraid of death. I’m imagining the danger room from X-men. A holographic training chamber where all of realm’s baddest dungeons or enemies can be fought for fun and knowledge. Perhaps these rooms would require some sort of trinket acquired within the dungeons themselves or large quantities of guild fame to acquire a training room and unlock new dungeons for the training room.

Guild pets:
The guild should be able to have a pet yard of it’s own that players within the guild can use that maxes at uncommon. This would aid us in helping new players. It would be nice if they could all use the same pet, but this might be too much to ask.

A new, pay to play legacy server:
As a legacy player, it would be amazing to be able to play a set amount per month to support you at DECA, while also playing on a server free from spammers, bots, duped items and pay to win mechanics. No buying keys, items or pets. All dyes, skins, pets (with no skills), vaults and character slots should be available for free to all players. Brand it as a new, high quality server for hardcore players. Hold events exclusive to the hardcore server. People will SWARM this server. I’ll post this idea on reddit as well.

Hit up the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/RotMG/comments/8qct3g/would_you_pay_to_play_rotmg_on_a_new_server//

You can get pleanty of hp and mp pots from enemies like image,image, and image who hang around and in the glands

The edges of Glands are often more dangerous than glands themselves to low level players. The mixture of gods, confuse and large mobs of highland enemies is pretty scary. I’m just saying most mobs drop hp pots, except gods. Why?

I don’t want to make this post too long so I’m gonna number your ideas instead of quoting them.

1. Could be a very good solution, it is very disappointing when you waste a prism use, especially with a weak mp heal pet. This wouldn’t be very good for rushing (for the few situations where it helps a trix to rush by using their decoy) but then again, neither is the current way. I’m not sure if it is changeworthy, but if it is this would certainly be the best option.
  2. Yes. Please yes.
  3. I agree that leveling is a pain, especially as a newer player. Around level 8-12 when you’re too weak to go to godlands, you get mainly ent and lich quests. Liches take a while to kill with low tier items and ents take a long time regardless for a small exp gain. Also, when I start on the beach at level 1, then level up to go from goblin mage quests to dwarf king quests, I tend to find myself very far from my next quest and there are usually no closer players to tp to. I think the quests should be more spread out. Another player suggested that there be more setpieces for lower level players to encounter, which would also help greatly to prevent boredom (especially if they have chests corresponding to the quest level).
  4. This would make players with these OP pets even more OP. They’d be unkillable! Maybe have common eggs drop from lesser gods at decent rates, but thats the most I would suggest.
  5. I’ve never used many dagger UTs/STs so I can’t comment. But as far as bulwark, the odd pattern is why the damage is so high, so improving the damage while removing the pattern (I’m assuming you want to keep the low rof and shot speed) would just be overpowered.
  6. Up to 50 players sharing 8 vault spaces? Not very practical. New members may steal items. Soulbound items can be given, and if two people trust each other enough they may use it to trade UTs.
  7. I’m guessing the upcoming “Dungeon Rush” will be similar to this, but maybe with prizes, though you won’t be able to pick your dungeon. Idk, I guess its a good idea but I don’t see it being implemented.
  8. Guild mates can donate common eggs, theres really no point in having this
  9. This sounds like something DECA may be interested in doing. Doesn’t affect me as I don’t pay for RotMG. However, no players should be able to bring their items they got for free from this server because… well… no.
    Damn, good thing I didn’t use quotes

Okay, so replying to Novachiz.

#4: So, this might be something I should’ve shown the math on initially, but basically the higher your pet is the less you will notice any changes to vit… It’s sort of like offering everyone in the world 10,000$ and then complaining that the rich will benefit more from the money because they are already rich.

From the realmeye wiki here are the amounts that pets contribute by tier:
I’ve evened some of these for easier math.

Max rare HP heal is 40 hp/roughly 2 seconds.
Max Legendary is roughly 70/1.5 seconds.
Max divine is 90/1 second.

A rare will heal 20 HP per second or 20 hpp/s. 75 vit (estimating for a maxed knight) yields 10 hpp/s. Together this yields 30hpp/s If the effects of vit were doubled, this would mean that a rare pet owner would see an increase of 25% to a new total of 40 hpp/s.

A max legendary pet heals for about 47 hpp/s, +10 hpp/s = 57 hpp/s. A doubled vit would once again bring the total to 67 hpp/s. This is an increase of 15%.

With a divine pet you have a flat 90 hpp/s + 10 hpp/s for vit. It would only increase your healing by 9%.

But for players with an uncommon pet, healing @ 23 hp per 2.5 seconds or 9.2 hpp/s for a total of 19.2 hpp/s a doubling of vit to 29.2 hpp/s would add a 65% to their healing speed.
It’s even more for players without pets. (100%! WOW SUCH MATH?)

#5 Bulwark does less damage right now than the flower wand that drops from mountain temple. Check the DPS calculator. I’m just asking that it be usable in the same sense that it can hit a stationary target reliably like the void blade, dblade and ep.

#6: If you don’t want guildies to have it don’t put it in the vaults? Lots of guilds are tight enough for this to function well. Soulbound items cannot be dropped into public chests. I’m not suggesting a new vault, just chests in the guild hall.

#8 This is just something that would help players get new players into the game without having to teach them about fame training, pets, etc. while also retaining the usefulness of building up your own pet as it would be limited to max uncommon.

Thanks for replying. :slight_smile:

I didn’t really think about the vit/wis in terms of math. I guess it makes more sense now that you explained it but imo pets are already broken and adding an additional healing effect, no matter how small, will only make it worse. Kabam made it hard to compromise when it comes to this due to their greed.

How about where the character is facing, as some people don’t use camera rotate?

Also totally agree with this,

I mean there are so many cool enemies like the lizard dude, werewolves, etc. that have no use after a certain point and it’s sad to see the artwork and mechanics go to waste.

These are some very good ideas! I actually support most of them, maybe except the guild vaults.

download

Bulwark and Fallen wand both have different quirks, bulwark has a wacky shot pattern, shoots through obstacles and pierces while Fallen shoots normally, doesn’t pierce through anything and has a shorter range. I think each has it’s own uses.

I normally would use bulwark for void or whenever a boss has a set movement pattern as well as to create a minefield (which is fun in cem and glands). As for Fallen I’d pretty much use that for most boss battles where pierce isn’t as important.

Your last idea sounds pretty nice. People pay a monthly fee to get free keys, skins, cloths, dyes, etc. It has to be economically sound though. There should be a prices/reward ratio according to how much realm players spend each month. It also has to be a better deal than just buying the things separately as well. For example, if a realm player spends 20$/month buying a total of 35 keys, if they buy the membership, its 20$/month, but he gets 40 keys and some fp as well. Therefore, more people will buy the 20$/month membership because they get more profit out of it.

No keys. No pets. No feed power. You miss understood the idea. It is a hardcore legacy server.

I support the paid servers, as long as it acts like a normal one so you can freely switch between the paid server and the free ones (your vault slots and chests would be tied to your account anyway, not specific servers). It would simply be an upgraded game with a completely improved community, and doing it this way doesn’t remove the free to play aspect because we would still have the free servers.

Ok, so the reason this idea isn’t ideal is because it’s supposed to be a fresh start server. Everyone starts on the same footing. No dupes have ever occured, etc. The item pool isn’t trashed by history. Maybe a cross-server premium server thing could be another idea, but that isn’t the idea I’m putting forth.

I see

I can’t find any good reason to need a fresh start to be honest. You’re suggesting inserting a separated game (RotMG 2) with different accounts, I don’t think that fits with anything we have right now and wouldn’t help make our old RotMG better.

I didn’t 100% read it all, but I read most and I agree with you on pretty much all subjects. I don’t think these are really controversial ideas at all, but you did lure me in with the title, so good job.

I play trickster a lot and have to disagree with this, there is a slight delay where the client hasn’t picked up the direction you’re moving in, but it’s the same regardless of server lag, if you know that specific delay well then you can easily send decoys exactly where you want to with minimal movement (and even start moving backwards before sending a decoy with it still going in that direction); changing decoys to be directed in the camera’s direction would result in much more clunky decoying where you’d need to wait for the camera to rotate.

Let’s say we’re at 0 degrees/default rotation, and want to quickly decoy behind us (without dancing swords!!)… yeah.

One common thing I tend to do in dungeons is move northwest or just west briefly before teleporting backwards to send a decoy into a wall to effectively act as a bootleg knight (in lost halls, nest), or in densely packed LH rooms send a decoy to both sides of a corridor/room, to make dealing with each group easier. With camera rotation this wouldn’t be as easy to control, though it would be safer since finicky movement is reduced - I do find this movement quite fun however.

One definite benefit I could see is standing decoys not being random, but that’s about it really, hmm

Just wanted to give my thoughts on that, :^)

The guys that heal just outside of glands drop hp/mp potions at about a 50% rate (or higher) so you don’t have to annoy join a guild/bother guill for potions :slight_smile:

@Vetap,

I’m glad you chimed in. I love trickster. I tend to just run straight at walls and tp to the corridor, I do agree that it may be very difficult to send decoys backwards, but maybe that should be the hallmark of the dancing sword’s prism? I know it doesn’t teleport, but it’s a thought. Standing decoys are the worst, as are decoys that just pause randomly pretty much anywhere. I just think that this would make it easier to use trickster while you’re doing really tight dodges in bullethell-boss situations. I could be wrong. I’ve never actually wanted to send a decoy backwards, honestly.