Spectator mode?

Spectator mode

Similar to what @Alphamalee said earlier about kill cams, maybe the possibility of a spectator mode wouldn’t be so bad considering how it would spark interest in newer or veteran players to watch other players play the game as it is. This could also be used as a learning opportunity for those that may be confused on some dungeons, as well as to maybe pass time as they watch a specific player they consider to be good do crazy ballsy and or cool stuff or possibly something of the dumbest quality.

How would it work?

The way this could work would be through a single player asking to spectate you and if you accept it, then it would allow multiple players to spectate you, there could also be an option in the settings where you dont need to hit accept for players to spectate you.

You would know when your being watched when a yellow highlighted text appears saying you are now being spectated! to obviosly show you that you are being watched at the moment.

Also a small icon maybe a beholder with a grey number would appear showing how many people are watching you, and as it increases it changes from grey -> Red -> Orange -> White

• Grey: 1-25
  • Red: 26-50
  • Orange: 51-99
  • White 100+

(the icon would be on the bottom right corner of the players mini map)

Eh, I sort of like things the current way.

I also don’t know why 100+ players would be actively watching your gameplay after an annoying death of a character. I don’t think a mass-death like that would be common, either.

This isn’t a post-death thing at all

this is just a way for players to spectate other players as they are playing the game, not after they die.

I only had the idea after alpha male spoke about “kill cams”

could be very cool. perhaps you’re doing thicket and you nexus (because for some reason everyone pussies out by/at third boss), and so you spectate the guy left to see how he does it, whether it be guildie, a friend, or just some random.

don’t see any negatives, and don’t really see a way to exploit this (i say this, because people have suggested “practice modes” in the past, where you fight a boss/do a dungeon with no risk of dying but you gain no reward. although it seems harmless to include, what it does is that the bosses become easier because you can just practice practice practice without any repercussion, whereas now the only way to learn is to put yourself at death’s doorstep and practice by just going for it). and it’s moreso just a fun feature if you’re waiting for a run to end or have nothing else to do at the moment.

The negative, as pointed out in the other recent thread, is that each spectator uses the same bandwidth as a regular player. So the more spectators the fewer players could fit on a server.

It is actually a much worse than death cams, At least with death cams they are random and short lasting – or could be made short lasting with a time limit. Spectating though would go on much longer and tend to be focussed on particular players or events, so impact particular servers.

Anyway, there’s already a way to spectate an account. Watch the person playing it on Twitch, or Youtube. No impact on the game at all, just the streamer’s bandwidth and some big corporation’s servers. This also lets the streamer control what they share – they can blank out areas of the screen or even blank the whole screen to hide account info or activity like mule trading they don’t want to share.

spectator mode, did paradox buy realm?

no but it is an interesting idea

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.