Speedy "bombs" as a hazard in dungeons

#TL;DR: add speedy bombs to new dungeons that grant players speedy for a few seconds so that they run into shots or have a harder time dodging.

Speedy is currently listed as a positive effect, but in many cases, it is not as helpful as you’d think. When you are faced with tight shot patterns or complex walking paths interlaced with lava or sickness, where you step becomes very important. Speedy can be absolutely detrimental, especially if you don’t expect it to happen.

I suggest that a possible type of dungeon boss shot could grant speedy to all those that are hit. I envision a sort of small bomb that grants speedy to everyone in the area. This will make it harder to dodge shots, since you will likely run too far or overcorrect with your movements, this will cause you to run to areas that you shouldn’t be or run into shots that you could otherwise normally dodge.

• Works great with short confuses: Furthermore, this effect would work very well with short confuses, darknesses, blinds, and hot lava. With something such as the mad lab confuse, which lasts like 0.5 seconds, you can’t really switch to and from confuse controls fast enough (unless you are damn god) in order to properly confuse walk against multiple, intermittently short confuses in a small period of time. Combine this with speedy, and not only can you not really walk where you want to, but you walk much further than you normally would, and in the wrong direction. This will catch players out of position and open them up to get rocked by the bosses’ shot patterns.

• Works great with darkness and blinds: Similarly, darnkess and blinds would be boosted, since you take a moment to react to the blind. With speedy, any movements you make will be that much harder, since you are not walking at the pace that you are used to.

• Works great with hot lava: I think this gets most interesting with hot lava paired with the speedy and the confuse. Should you get speedy and run over hot lava, you will take massive damage from moving across the lava so quickly. Your only option is to stop moving as quickly as you can so as not to take heavy damage.

• Is a positive effect, and thus can’t be puri’d: one added benefit is that you can’t remove the speedy. You HAVE to deal with it. You can’t puri out of it. This makes it just a little bit more inconvenient, which is perhaps exactly what you want.

Woah first time on here in a while and i see this gem. Totally agree with the idea, have had similar thoughts in the past.

Implementation would be interesting. Like would it be a one time use tile like traps in the UDL? Would it do that to anybody who ran over it again and again? Would it be like an AOE trigger?

Also locations would have to be specific so people couldn’t use them to their advantage.

I’m thinking of something like an encore or lost halls where there is one main threat that sections you off (be it tentacles from LH or the blue radial shots from encore). This forces you into a general dodge pattern. These are your primary damage dealers. They hit hard. If you get caught, you’re dead.

Mixed in are an array of smaller, patterned shots that are harder to see. These are your status effects, kind of like the radial pattern of pet stasis shots from encore. You have to incorporate weaving in and out of these patterned shots into your overall dodge pattern as you run from the tentacles. These shots will blind you, pet stasis, whatever, and do medium damage, potentially armor pierce.

Next are the confuses. These will be tiny and frequent, but well patterned. If you get hit by one of these, it will make it hard to keep moving away from the tentacles and the status ability shots. As I mentioned above, the confuse will be shot lived, just short enough to mess you up so you can’t confuse control.

Lastly, I envision little lobbed speedy bombs, just like at the marble colossus event or in the lost halls or in encore during the last phase. These will be a lobbed, small aoe bombs that cause speedy for everything hit by the initial explosion. It wouldn’t be a zone per se, just a temporary burst of speed for everyone in the little area.

(although… I do like the idea of a udl trap that is really hard to see in a dungeon where you are constantly moving due to something spookyboy-esque but also dodging shots from the wall as seen in the confuse walkways of the Mad Lab. The speedy could cause you to collide with the confuse and ruin you or make sure you got caught by the monster that is chasing you. That might be getting a little bit too crazy, but I see the potential.)

You mix this in with maybe some bridges or walkways as seen in abyss of demons, or perhaps something like shaitans or ddocks where your tiles slowly get bombed and turned into hot lava or sickness puddles. Put it all together and you could have one nasty boss fight that requires a lot of skill, where the tiniest mistake could mean a nexus. If you want to make things really tricky, you could have select “grounded” tiles where you couldn’t nexus, so if you got trapped on one of those at the wrong time, you were just dead. It would realllllly make things scary (and ruin auto nexus too).

This could be useful in future endgame dungeons. I like it!

It’s simple, it’s dirty, and it’s already in the game code.

I mean hell, people barely use T6 tome because they can’t handle the speedy. I used to leave my wizards 7/8 because I didn’t dodge as well with max speed. I think it could really get some people killed, or at least force players to think about the game in a way that they haven’t had to before. Could be nasty.

kek wait untill the hackers see this.

i had an idea, but instead using slowing shots as a helpful status. You have to get hit by one of these to be able to dodge a boss’s attacks, or you either die or nexus. It seems really fun to include status effects like these to improve fights, instead of those boring status effects like confuse that contribute no interest to the boss fight besides making you want to slam your head on the table being forced to nexus running into an enemy.

[quote=“IAmShurima, post:3, topic:14363”]
It would realllllly make things scary (and ruin auto nexus too).
[/quote]or i mean you could always close out

Welp, what can you do?

If your game closes on a tile that prevents you nexusing, your character automatically dies.

That makes no sense at all…If I close out when a godwall is coming towards me, I still survive. I used to do this because my computer was slow and nexusing wasn’t faster for me. I lived nearly every time, except for those times where the shots already registered and I was dead before I closed out.
Or if you’re fast enough you can go to the menu and exit to main menu. Having a tile that doesn’t nexus you doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t live.

Tell that to starbreak

What I meant was not that your character would die if you close the window. This is not normally what happens. I am saying that you MAKE it so that your character dies ONLY if you close the window and ONLY if you are standing on the no-nexus tile at the time. It would probably be too buggy and cause to many problems, but it is something to think about.

Throwback to when warriors gave group speedy.

I like the idea, and I’d actually think it’d be funnier with medium sized bombs, because you’d just see “that one group” in the NE corner all speedied up and panicking xD. It’d be a true horde.

So depressing getting ditched in a graveyard and not being able to leave in time.

I love it! No only does it make the game more difficult but also on hacked clients they are unavoidable making hackers have to nexus from the dungeons :smile:

if someone has a hacked client they probably will be invurnable to confuse and the other debuffs so you’re basically helping the hackers

I mean, dodging gets harder with speedy, even if you aren’t confused. At some point, you are just so fast that you can’t maneuver properly. For example, with warrior buff, I have a hard time dodging everything that I need to in encores.

I don’t have that problem

I used this in Oryx’s Paracosm. me likey C:

wow its a unique idea