All the references found so far:
I thought that it might be neat to have a list of media, history, real life, mythology, etc that RotMG references that people can look through, as this game tends to reference a lot of stuff.
However, I’m not really knowledgeable on a lot of media, and I think the community’s combined efforts would be able to find all of the references in the game.
I was thinking that it might be interesting to have a sort of ongoing leaderboard/contest for people who can spot as many references in the game as possible.
How I plan for this to work is:
- I created a document that will list all the in-game references that have been found; it is linked at the top of this post.
- I will edit a leaderboard in this thread as well that will list all the people who have contributed to find a reference and their score (more on how score is determined in a bit)
- To submit an entry, you just post in the thread with what you found in-game that is a reference, the media it references, plus an explanation of what it’s referencing and/or how. Please try to explain it well enough to someone who might not be familiar on that specific media, because if I can’t understand how it is a reference I can’t award any points.
- Each valid reference spotted will be worth 1 point (with an exception, mentioned in the next point). You can put multiple references spotted into one post (so one post can net you multiple points, no need to spam).
- The exception is if you spot a reference that is already mentioned on the wiki, then you will only get 0.5 points. I think this is a good compromise because I don’t really want to leave references out of the sheet just because they were already on the wiki for completionist sake, but I also want to keep it fair for people who aren’t just looking through the wiki for already-known references (and fair for people who don’t know much media like me, but wish to contribute). There is a catch to this, which I’ll mention below:
- At any point, the person who made the initial edit on the wiki page in the first place to add the reference can claim the entry, even if someone else has already claimed it for the 0.5 points. Then, unfortunately the other person will have the 0.5 points subtracted, and the person who had added the reference to the wiki will gain the full 1 point. This is so people who put in the work potentially months or years ago can still be rewarded for it if they want to participate in the thread!
- I will be checking edit histories and such regarding the above 2 notes when applicable to make sure points are fairly awarded.
- New-ish rule: If someone who was involved in the creation of the in-game reference posts, they get 1 point as long as no one has already claimed that reference, even if it was on the wiki already (since they were involved in the creation, they can get some perks plus they know exactly what the reference would be). This is tentative and may be changed if people dislike this rule.
- The above point scheme is subject to change for balancing purposes, however which references you’ve spotted will stay constant because that will all be saved into the sheet. If you think the score system should be changed for any reason, you’re free to suggest ideas and I can change the system.
If you have any feedback on this feel free to share as well, I would appreciate it. I wanted to make this a sort of game and hopefully people enjoy it.
Good luck with the hunt!