The General Chat Thread

I guess you could that argue the chance that someone in the realm community lost someone at 9/11 is quite high and it would be disrespectful towards them to start the event on 9/11.

Always wondered what the “intensity” of the phrase 911 has outside the Americas. Same goes for the nword, maybe some EU or AE players could enlighten us.

I mean, I haven’t really encountered anyone who doesn’t know about 9/11. Except that here we’d call it 11/9 :sweat_smile: dd/mm/yyyy format and such. It’s not really a thing that comes up that often I suppose, but afaik we do acknowledge it in the UK.

I’ve also never really heard anyone use the n word, the only few times everyone was pretty serious about it, and I personally don’t like the use of the word by anyone.

I was more going for emotional reaction. Like I mayknow about xxx event, but not have any personal connection to it. Or like how bloody is profane in the uk but I didn’t find out until I was like 13 or so (ty Harry potter)…

There is a bit of majority-catering going on, but that makes sense; if the majority of your players are from the US, it would make sense to focus on US-related holidays and events rather than try to honor holidays and special occasions from all around the world, given just how many there are. I’m not saying that I agree that an America-centered model for events is a good idea (I would like to see some representation for other cultures), but it makes sense from a logistics standpoint.

At the same time, 9/11 is a remembrance of a day when 3000 people lost their lives in a coordinated attack. This event also occurred in the lifetime of many players, and as @Mynamerr pointed out, there are undoubtedly players who were personally affected by what happened.

Not to mention that the event DOES involve destroying towers, which is a coincidence that many players would likely make jokes about.

OH MY GOD STUPIDITY IS ALIVE I’ve missed you :c

@Stupidity wtf where have you been

no please ! i just want to try it

I’m not sure what you guys are trying to argue here since I never said otherwise.

I never said I wanted americans to go get bent or that every single important date for every single country in the world should be represented in the game somehow. I just saw people get overly emotional and thought some perspective might help.

Yeah, that’s the real reason why this is happening at all.

I don’t know which one came first between the english and the french version of the n-word. I have barely heard it in my life and the only few times I did it was from old people.

No matter the country, people will only remember tragedies if they’ve affected them personally or if the media has made a big stink about it. Even with all the influence of US media, people barely remember the “11th of September” over here.

I think the main reason why it traumatized the americans this hard is because they’ve become so used to proxy countries taking all the bad shit for them that they’ve become disconnected from the concepts of terrorism and war. Europe has had so much horrible shit in its history, even somewhat recently, that it would take way more than a couple of terrorist attacks to leave this much of a mark on the collective psyche.

This isn’t some sort of “who’s the biggest victim” contest, just an attempt at analysis.

This. The last time the US fought on home soil was the Civil War (Unless you count pearl harbor) iirc. (1860, and people are still divided over that). Every major war since has been fought in Europe, with most Americans never learning the atrocities that happened in Europe, China, POW camps in Japan, USSR, etc. aside from the Holocaust and maybe Tianmiensquare.

@Stupidity Why would you leave us like that?

im epic.

Current mood:

not to divert attention from the original discussion, but what about the korean and vietnam wars, or the entire ww2 pacific theater? given that the gradual shift in east asian policy in the mid-late 1930s was very heavily influences by then-ambassador nelson t. johnson and his large amount of experience in china (particularly witnessing and documenting the rape of nanjing at great risk to his life), and also regarding their heavy handed policy towards communism in east asia during the latter half of the century due to a number of factors specifically related to the rise of totalitarian leaders of all political affiliations, i think it’s unfair to dismiss us interest as entirely eurocentric. in fact, i’d say that in the mid-late 20th century, direct military engagement by the us was mostly centered in east asia.

Why “outside the Americas”? We here at South America are so far removed from the reality of 'Murica that the “intensity” of 9/11 might as well be the same as for other continents. I mean, we know it happened, but it isn’t a sad day or anything down here. I, for one, had the day pass by me and didn’t even realize it was that day.

About the n-word, I don’t think there’s an equivalent in portuguese. We have “negro”, which means literally black and, as far as I know, it is not offensive. Is “negro”, a word I know exists in english, offensive? Or is it only the n-word? If it is, pardon me.

same

I think there might have been a minute of silence in French schools in 2002 for the anniversary. Aside from that: nothing.

I think what happened was that the formal term for Black Africans used to be “negro” (plural “negroes”) and the n-word came after as a more informal and insulting version of that. French equivalent is “nègre” but “négro” is also used.

Nowadays they’re generally considered offensive. You might still be able to use them in the right context with the right people (mostly in a joking manner), but using them in general and especially in any kind of serious and/or formal setting would make you look like a racist.

…outside the AmericA then xD

Thanks for the responses btw, nice to have some perspective :slight_smile:

Fair enough, I forgot about Vietnam and Korea… Or the rest of the world as pawns during the Cold War tbh. But my point still stands that Americans don’t know jack shit about what’s going on, because nothing happens in North America.

Where are you from, Candy?

California