The General Chat Thread

I see

@GammaGamer just continuing the discussion hereā€¦actually not playing rotmg for the last few months is like a big weight being lifted off my shoulders, since its one less thing i need to worry about. basically, im kinda enjoying not playing, so i guess im gonna end up taking a longer break

I woulda ditched this entire thing long, long ago if it wasnā€™t for the community. Can definitely understand that feeling of having a stone removed from your chest when you donā€™t have to think about maxing, grinding, and collecting dailies. Seriously gets to your head at some point. They say quitting the game is not an excuse for quitting the forum, but I feel like Iā€™d easily get lost with the currently fast development rate of Realm. A one month break results in me being completely left in the dust. Even if it happens to be a permanent leave, wherever you end up afterwards, I sincerely hope it brings you happiness!

Indeed, bulwark has been a (little) obsession of mine :drooling_face: since i came back from my first quit (lets say pause). When i tried it for the first time i found it very crappy because i couldnt think of a place to use it properly :frowning: . Was a noob back then.:man_shrugging:

Its only after i came back that i started to see more and more usage to it :pensive:, because when i came back i jumped the ranks super quick thanks to the fact that i was searching for knowledge about the game more than i was actually playing.

And then, after quite some time, i got my second bulwark :triumph:. Fooled around with it, prooftesting it at all the places i thought i could use it, leading to people asking me why do i main a bulwark on a sorc/priest. For fun of course, thats why im here for.

Experimenting all the possibilities is what makes this item so great in my eyes :star_struck:, its where most of the fun comes from, for me. What about you?

btw the reason why i changed thread is to keep the other thread in track

thanks. it seems like i literally am getting left in dust after those fame changes too

You guys donā€™t have to grind for anything :confused:

You wouldnā€™t be earning anything anyway if youā€™ve ā€œquitā€ or ā€œpaused,ā€ so why make the same effort whenever you do play? Honestly, what are any of you missing out on by not grinding?

Iā€™m not trying to sound demeaning or anything, but I really donā€™t understand.

boosted event drop rates, special event offers, limited availability items, etc.

if you really wanted a midnight star but canā€™t do many lods because theyā€™re very unpopular, youā€™d be a fool not to grind your soul away during a special weekend event deca puts out that both doubles your chances at getting it and convinces hordes of other players to help you out. this sort of logic can easily be tweaked by the mind to convince you that you have to play during nearly every event, and as is well documented deca puts them out constantly.

itā€™s fairly naive to assume you can completely defog this kind of mindset with a purely logical approach, because thatā€™s not how it was established and itā€™s not what it continues to feed on. itā€™s an emotional hook implanted by these kinds of games that drag you back into playing it again and again, and in severe cases it can get bad enough that the devolopers will offer you something literally useless and youā€™ll still come back to grind for it.

Eh? What are you, some kind of Jedi? Those mind tricks donā€™t work on me.

99% of this game is point and shoot, so when I found out there was a wand that completely changed the way you play the game, and it was fun, I was all over that. I got my first bulwark 2 years ago after running well over 800 snake pits, and then I died like a week later. I was very sad and quit the game for a while. I came back and then used most of my clovers and loot drop potions and just ran snake pits for like a week and finally got another one. This one I only used in special occasions. I learned where the best places to use it were, I experimented using it in unconventional situations, and I fell in love with the wacky weapon and I will defend it until the day I die. I have already made 3 bulwarks in item forge and I donā€™t plan on stopping soon. #BulwarkIsBest

you now only need to do one to get the mark, and do other dungeons to get whites from equal value, then once you get three (which is still easy given the VERY wide array of items in MStarā€™s group), you forge a Midnight Star.
Alternatively, you could even choose to replace the items youā€™ll use for forging it at a 1:2 rate, using ā€œlowerā€ value UTs for it instead.

Now if youā€™re talking Void whites, the point is once again valid, because public Voids are de-void of happening.

Thereā€™s your problem - you are actively seeking and doing the same content over and over again and no matter what you do itā€™ll suck your fun out of the game.

Oh, another reason to add to the list: the game is so addicting that after quitting youā€™re addicted to talking about the gameā€¦ :smile:

Seriously though, may I obtain that list from you?

proceeds to remember that time where i used first mateā€™s hook to annoy people

Agreed ten thousand times brother

What can we say but that we are creatures of habits? We, humans, need to make efforts to break the inertia that are habits, and some just dont want to do thatā€¦

madgoddammit

replying here cuz i dont want @DeeBomb to smash me because i was offtopic

Sadly, this is more than an addiction to a game. Its an addiction to Dopamine and that shit is scary. Not everyone resists the addiction because we all have different brains. Even as I say that, I cant resist it, because although I am not addicted to this game, I definitely am addicted to gaming instead of having other hobbies, like say dancing, tinkering or just playing outside.

Because the game and its community had another way of doing, another culture. Iā€™m sure things like ā€˜ā€˜metaā€™ā€™ didnā€™t exist because people didnā€™t care about performing, they more likely wanted to have a good times with eachother. Like maybe there were things and strats more used than others, but no one would come at your face telling you that you are playing wrong or something.

I see 3 main things that influences someoneā€™s behaviour: the state in which you started, the environment and themselves. You have limited control over who you are when you start playing rotmg or in which state the game is. However you do have a final say on what youā€™ll do.

Nice thinking, I like that.

Wait a minute, who told you all that?

Who wouldnt be saddened to have lost their favorite item?

Had a phase like that, was treating my bulwarks like they were fragile gems. And then they started dropping like rain and then forge update landed.

:notes: ā€¦til the day that I drop youā€™ll never say that Iā€™m not killing 'em :notes:
ohā€¦ uhā€¦ sorry. erhm Yeah that shitā€™s the best, and people need to hear the good news.

Hear ye hear ye people, the revolution starts NOW!

Not sure where to put this, so Iā€™ll put this here.

Picked up RotMG after a year or two break at my friendā€™s house, so itā€™s the first time I played exalt. I gotta say that taking a break was quite refreshing and I really like the changes DECA has made during the port. I havenā€™t read opinions or documentation on realmeye or reddit, so anything I write will be my unbiased opinion/feelings based on my previous experiences of the game. Last time I quit RotMG, the game was stale and it felt like nothing in the game was worth doing other than Lost Halls. Coming back to the game, everything felt fresh and I really like the changes that were made. Now I will write about various aspects of the game:

Exalt Requirements and Performance: I started playing the game at my friendā€™s house after he got a new computer for Christmas + B-Day. Unfortunately, I left my laptop at home since I thought we were going to play on his Switch or Xbox, so I was stuck playing on his old crappy desktop that can barely run Roblox games and Minecraft at the lowest settings. It seems to me that the requirements to play RotMG seems to be quite high for the game to run well (at least that is what I found from googling about it). However, the crappy desktop ran the game reasonable well. I was able to do most dungeons without much problem. Some things that sucked were that the game would crash while loading and it would take like 10 minutes for the game to finally load. Once the game loaded, the experience was alright. I didnā€™t really experience any black tiles and rubberbanding. Some dungeons that have a lot of colorful sprites in the background, such as mwoods and clands seemed to have a lot of input lag, but it was playable for the most part. Also, places that had a lot of people, such as Jack Frost and Oryx Chamber seemed to have a lot of input lag too. To reduce lag, I would stay away Other than that, the game worked fine. When my friend wasnā€™t using his new laptop, I would go on and play realm on it. The gameplay was absolutely flawless. Iā€™m pretty sure the specs on his laptop is similar to what I have, so Iā€™m confident that Iā€™ll have a similar experience when I play on my laptop.

Bard: I accidently died on my 6/8 mystic at a snow yeti because I sat on those light blue wormhole looking things that look like the alien dungeon portals, so that sucked. I decided to try bard and my initial thoughts are that it is underwhelming. Iā€™m guessing that I felt this way because of the way I was playing to reduce lag. I know that bard is supposed to be a support class, so standing away from the group isnā€™t the right way to play. Regardless, it still felt kinda underwhelming. My Bard is 8/8 with the following equips: Cbow/Leaf Bow/Dbow, T5 Lute, Reskin Gsorc, and Nile. Iā€™m guessing Bard would be a better solo class if I had the UT Lute from ddocks. Iā€™m also guessing the Bard would be better at rushing with the UT loot from snek pit. So Iā€™ll reserve my judgment of this class until I get those equips and play Bard the way it is supposed to be play. Still feel like archer/huntress with t5 quiver/ctrap + dbow is the best for soloing stuff.

Fame Rework: Absolutely love it. Rather than rewarding people for not using features built into the game, players are rewarded for using them. So Iā€™m happy that the Mudane, Boots on the Ground, and Pacifist fame bonuses were removed from the game. It is just more intuitive that you are rewarded more for playing the game. That being said, I think class quests should be reworked. The friend I was playing with is kinda a nub. I finally taught him how to solo snake pits and sprite worlds, but heā€™s still not great at it. Yet he died with a ninja in a ddocks with like 650 live fame and ended with over 4000 fame on death and got 5 stars for the class. Imo, that is just too easy. Prior to the rework, I took me a reallly long time to get 4k+ fame upond death for any character and I think I was a much better player than my friend is at the time. Not sure how the class quests should be reworked, but it definitely should be. My current bard is at 3229 live fame and will get 16700 fame upon death. This amount of fame will be much higher than any of my previous characters.

Playing with irl friends: So I started playing again because my friend wanted to and I gotta say, playing with an irl friend is really fun. We also played with my brother. My friend is kinda nub like I already described, but my brother is pretty good at the game albeit kinda rusty. Since I 8/8ā€™d my Bard and 6/8ā€™d my warrior, I had a bunch of extra pots to give to them. It just hits different when you give free pots to people you know in real life. Giving free pots to random people is always a nice gesture, but being able to see irl reactions tops that. Hopefully we can recreate that feeling by playing together on discord.

Campaign/Free Packs: I wonder if my positive review of the game is due to the fact that there was the Christmas Campaign active. Iā€™m guessing that getting scarves at some events softened the blow of basically getting a pbag or 0ā€™s at some events. Regardless, having something to work towards that is easily accessible is always nice. The free vault, candies, and scarves were nice obviously.

Exaltations: I canā€™t really say anything about this since I didnā€™t really do any Shatters, LHs or Nests since I didnā€™t really use Discord and I was afraid to do these dungeons on the crappy computer. Seems like a good idea, but also seems kinda grindy(?), idk.

Dungeon Reworks: Loved most of the reworks tbh. Snek pits, abbys, and udls felt fresh. Cdepths and wlabs felt a bit harder, but that was likely intended. I missed the walls that you could hide behind at the boss in cdepths as I was overwhelmed by the new shot patterns. I ended hiding in the room before the boss for extended periods of time to regen. Imo, the troom in wlabs is a little too hard for a troom. I think my brother lost a character there. I would like to see a rework of the boss in ddocks since itā€™s still kinda easy. I didnā€™t try any high level dungeons, such as Lost Halls, Shatters, and Nests, so Iā€™m curious if any reworks were made for those.

White Bags/ST Drops: Still the main reason why I played RotMG over the years. The temporary present sprites are alright, but I prefer the normal bag sprites. It just never gets old, even if the drop is something Iā€™ve gotten for the 20th time, like dbow. I didnā€™t know book of geb drop from sarcs so that was a welcome surprise, especially if they still go for what they used to go for back in the day. Probably my one disappoint I got in term of white bags was getting a cutlass from ddocks. I wanted the UT Lute :frowning:. Oh well, hopefully will get it eventually.

Forging/Blueprints: I think this feature is awesome although I have only used it once and Iā€™m already having regrets for what I forged >.<. The idea and implementation (imo) is awesome. I donā€™t know how rare the blueprints are, but the idea that you can create some white bags that you have never gotten before by using other non-wanted UTs is a great idea. I donā€™t think itā€™s OP considering that you have to get the blueprint and usually a mark from the respective dungeon to forge a UT. As for my regrets, I spent 5400 fame to buy the blueprint to forge a dbow and did forge one. I did this cuz I wanted to see how OP dbow is on bard with the increased range. Well 2 UDLs after forging, I got a dbow xd. A backup dbow is never a bad thing though and getting fame is relatively easy with the rework.

Vault Rework: New vault is definitely better since all items are stored in one place. Also, can store 16 additional pots. Iā€™m sure the bugs related to the vault are known (connection forced close), so as long as those are fixed, the vault is much better than the old.

Server/Realm Queue: Absolutely great features. :heart_eyes:

IC/OOC: I like it. Slight nerf to pets, but imo was necessary. Forces you to dodge, so thatā€™s good.

HP Bar/Scaling: Never realized how useful an HP bar that shows up on the top right when youā€™re battling a boss could be. Great feature. Also, idk if all dungeon HPs were rescaled as I didnā€™t read the documentation, but it does feel like it. All the godland dungeons feel fair to me though as it stands. I havenā€™t tried any of the higher-level dungeons, so Iā€™m curious the changes that were made to those dungeons.

Conclusion: I enjoyed playing RotMG Exalt throughout the last week. Iā€™m not going to go back on until after I graduate from college next semester, but now this game isnā€™t an afterthought. I will definitely go back on now. If you find the game stale, I recommend taking a long break.

TL;DR: Played RotMG for the first time in a couple years. Tried exalt for first time. Played on crappy computer, but game performed fairly well. I basically like all the changes that were made as they made the game feel fresh. Will form opinions on changes to high-level dungeons and exaltations later.

Iā€™ll end this post with some questions that Iā€™ll probably find answers to by reading the forums and documentation. Is it still possible to do lava walk in Shatters? Were there major changes to shatters? (Shatters were really boring imo) How hard are LHs now that dungeon caps seem to be working? Now I will go back to lurking. Ok bye.

I think many of us have come to similar conclusions as you with your points.

As for the questions:

Iā€™ve heard that itā€™s still possible, but requires much more care in proper execution.

No, not yet. Thatā€™s in the queue for DECA, but nothing has come to pass at this time. I think thereā€™s still at least a couple more dungeons ahead of that rework in line, but I could be wrong.

With the modifications to healing and hp scaling, itā€™s definitely better to go with small/medium sized groups over large ones! DECA took some ā€œanti-raidā€ measures several months ago.

I am speaking mostly for myself, though. There are sources far more reliable than me, so it would be wise to still do some research.

Mbc survival is superrrr hard now

On the other hand if you can dodge well, it becomes easier. Itā€™s more than just MBCā€™s survival phase that is scary, post-survival are particularly threating too.

Looks I should take a break from RotMG and do other things like getting back to translating Chinese song lyrics to English (even though I am trash at it).

Really reminds me of my laptop, not a gaming laptop but can run well (because of 2x DDR4 8GB RAM). But if I donā€™t shutdown my laptop properly for too long, memory leak and lag will happen.

For my last Bard (well petless), I used TShot/DBow/Covert, Skyward Lute/Requiem, Shendyt, UBDef/Vit.

Ah yes, what I used to complained about. To me, they were great bonuses (except Pacifist), particularly Boots on the Ground (more than just underrated but wanted to challenge myself that no one does). Fun fact about me: after such fame bonus was removed, I managed to remain anti-TP for one more month before I started to TP again recently (with total of no TPing 5 months straight).

Really reminds me about when I gave new players old tops when they need stuff. I can recall when I was a noob, random players gave me old tops (but then died with them like an idiot).

Definitely. There is more room to cater F2P players.

My thought about Exaltation is more of an insane grindfest. More than just that, it is so Discord reliant. Those bonuses are good though NGL.

Sometime when I see a white bag sprite, I get a mini heart attack that last a second. Other time, I would say ā€œOh I just got a white bagā€ to myself. But you are right, seeing actual white bags never gets old (well at least both of us RN).

Forgefire, 3 unwanted UTs to sacrifice to craft desired UTs. But yes, I myself crafted 3 DBows (had 9 of them total but died with 6 of them).

Yes.

And less face tank shenanigans.

One of the good QoL here.

Huh? You changed your mind?

He didnā€™t change his mind, he was just asked to stop talking about it in every thread, lol.

This is what I have been up to this new year so far! Still loving the VR, and the Rift S really doesnā€™t need a great PC to run (I have a 1070Ti and I can run the game and record without any issues). Especially since I got the headset for only $175, this has been one of the best purchases of my life.

soon weā€™re going to have to ask you to stop talking about beat saber in every thread :wink: