The Great Nexus Library: a new place to catalog items

Behold the Nexus Library!

A new addition to the nexus that would allow players to research their equipment in order to uncover more information about them, both in terms of numbers and backstory. It would be a terrific place to flesh out some of the backstory without hamstringing anyone’s experience with the game.

[A link to the Reddit thread] (https://www.reddit.com/r/RotMG/comments/7cqzhb/the_great_nexus_library_a_new_place_to_catalog/) 'cause I like ya a lot

Best of the Best Nominations - December 2017
Best of the Best Nominations - December 2017
Obsidian Summit Dungeon Idea

Looks cool and idea is cool, but personally I like the game better without backstory

New Best of the Best coming soon?? Mods!!

I really like this idea, great way to add lore and such without it getting in the way of playing. Example, Scrolls that tell a story. Cool, but take up vault space and will eventually be dropped. Only problem I see with this is wouldn’t there be a lot of book things. I mean on for each type of weapon, one for each ability and each armor. Maybe combine it so there are 4 book things. 1 for each slot and the things you can view are tailored to your class. I don’t even know at this point, Just a suggestion/idea. Overall great idea and effort!

:open_mouth:
personally I think this would be a great addition to the game, one of my favorites, as I love that stuff (collecting and cataloging)

One of my favorite ideas on these forums

@DECA GAMES add to game plox. This would be absolutely legendary. Bloody Collection Books, and backstory, that’s cool.

@Krathan, sorry but i gotta @ u for this one. If this slips past deca in the long run, I wont forgive myself

I love this, realm needs more backstory, and i love seeing this as a way of cataloging the items you’ve collected.

@Krathan notice this senpai plox.

I already @'d him, no need to summon the dark lord twice

Sorry Spud. :frowning:

I’ll go sit in the naughty corner now.

This sounds great but the direction of the mat swords in the picture trigger my inner perfectionist a bit more than it should

@Krathan Original ideas like this can’t just slip by. This is a great idea!

Please don’t spam Krathan’s with pings. One is enough, yet most of the time should still not be done because he is busy, and can’t waste too much time on ideas.

On topic, I think this is an amazing idea, but then half of realmeye wiki is not of use anymore.

YES! LORE!

You should expand upon this more. It’s a great idea, was put together very well, and could serve as a benchmark for other ideas.

Very nice! 9/10.

(Although, you already knew I’m a sucker for lore :P)

Deca, please add this! Very cool idea, would be a great addition to the game for everyone who would want to fill up a collection.

As someone who couldn’t care less about lore I really see no point for this, however I can see how this could be attractive to some people. Good idea though, I won’t bash ^^

Okay, text-wall time, prepare the glass of reading.

I like the idea as a whole, and I don’t see anything wrong with it, but I’ve got a couple questions, and hopefully you’ve got some answers for em.

Main Questions

1: How exactly would you access this place? Another portal in the nexus? It seems that way, because of the text at the bottom of the imgur thing, where would it go? Can we also access it from our Vaults? Our Guild Halls? What does the portal look like? The map for the Library shows a Realm Portal? Why is that?

2: This one is probably just a minor blunder on your part, but it states that you must bring weapons, armor, and abilities to fill in the missing information, here’s the thing though, dividing each of the weapon types up and armor types up into different lecterns would yield 10 Lecterns, yet we have 11? So I assume we have to bring in rings as well?

3: We have to bring in equipment to get extra information on it, but how does it work exactly? Do we just bring it in, show it to Quill, and you just get the info? Or do you actually have to spend the weapon to get the info? Which would make the info on endgame equipment incredibly scarce, as you’d essentially just be throwing one away, and this bring up Question 4.

4: What’s the point of doing this when we have realmeye? Sure, the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment is cool and all, but what’s the point when you can just look it up? You mentioned Quill possibly rewarding you for turning in items, but this brings up Question 5.

5: Can we have something more, I dunno, Specific about the reward system? Is it based on total items uncovered? Do we get special rewards for filling in a whole category? Is there a special reward for filling in everything? What are the rewards like? Are there special unique items? Reskins of the items you put in? Do you get better rewards for turning in harder to obtain items? Would the rewards be soulbound? Too many questions, no answers whatsoever. Can you please give us a little detail on the reward system?

6: How much lore should we expect upon turning in an item? The information given for the, Ahem, " Wand of Fractured Time " seems reasonable enough, but it’s cut off, how much more lore is there? Could we perhaps see lore related to the bosses with items like the Oryx Set, and the Lost Halls Sets?

[details=Nitpick Questions]

• Why does the map of the area only have swords on the floor, when in the 2nd image we see a wand and what appears to be a staff on the floor?

• Why does Quill look exactly like Guill?

• What’s the point of the Research button when looking at items? Couldn’t we just click the item on the left?

• Why do you have a wand that doesn’t exist as your example?

• Why is the +20 mana boost displayed on the far right side?[/details]

That’s all I got to ask, but I will admit, this idea is incredibly simple, but also incredible in general, It’s really well made, and it looks as if you’re just playing realm in those images, it’s very well done. :clap:

I always enjoy a cool, refreshing wall of text!

[details=Main Questions]
1. When I had made the library, I had envisioned it replacing the guild table on the east wing of the Nexus, since that place is hardly ever visited. However, that also puts it somewhat out of the way, so a better spot would be due south of the spawning platform. Due to the equipment-based nature of the library, access via guild hall and vault would be invaluable.

While a more detailed and specialized portal would be better, I always just saw the simple guild hall portal as the ‘true’ entryway. The portal that’s seen in the library is simply its exit; it’s placed very close to an actual door, but the vantage point hides this (it used to be on the opposite side in the north, which made it clearer).

2. Truth be told, the number of rooms here is somewhat arbitrary; I’m not entirely sure the best way to partition the sections because if it’s too detailed it will be too large to traverse, and if it’s too contained it will be a headache moving through the menus. Since making the library, I’ve had a lot of ‘eureka’ moments on how to better design it, including making the center of the library the entrance and make the entire thing a circle, or making each room contain a weapon and their respective class ability items with another wing dedicated to armors and rings.

3. The player can talk with Quill and select any items in their inventory (identical to the old Quest system), or can do the same from any lectern in any room. No spending is required, because that would be freaking loony, who would do that.

4 + 5. The point over Realmeye is ultimately to earn rewards for researching equipment. The actual reward would be tricky to nail down, but rewarding players with vault spaces, character slots, pet food, skins, etc for researching a number of rare items or every tiered item would probably be a suitable goal. It’s also one that gets progressively harder over time. I would be hesitant to reward players with something impermanent, because eventually the library will be complete and no more rewards could come out of it; players would never use something if losing it was absolutely final.

It’s a great question to ask, because it would be a tremendous farce if so much effort went into this only for few to use it; just like some other places accessible through the Nexus.

6. The lore is cut off to show that scrolling through the screen is possible and it wouldn’t be limited by the size of the bounding box. There’s not much more text after that; what’s cut off is simply “-way forces it to travel more slowly.”

Lore for sets is a great idea! I could see unlocking every single set for an item revealing even more information on the backstory for every item as a whole.[/details]

[details=Nitpick Questions]

• Like I said earlier, the true number of rooms was undecided, and marking each room with its own symbol would be more decisive than I wanted it to be.

• Quill is Guill’s brother. I wouldn’t say they are exactly alike, because Guill carries himself a lot more confidently, and Quill tends to avoid eye contact.

• The Research button is there for two reasons;

1. It’s where the player would click to select items in their inventory to fill in blank equipment.
  2. It was based on a piece of UI art that @atrapper provided to me, and that’s where the ‘complete’ button was for quests. I never had a vision for the UI that would surpass what the game already had.
  • I used it because it’s my personal favorite sprite in Dapper Ideas.

• I had decided to make the stat boosts on the right side at the time, but I regretted it a little after I posted this idea. I didn’t want to futz around with it too much after the fact.[/details]

All in all, I’m happy that you took the time to ask these harder-hitting questions because that’s the best way for these things to improve!

Oh, and if it looks like this comes from the game, it’s because it sort of is. Being in the UGC grants the privilege of a tile editor, and I took the opportunity to cut my teeth on dungeon design with this fairly rudimentary library. Hopefully I get to be a larger hand in less simple dungeon designs in the future, though I need to have a more solid grasp on XML to be anything more than just an artist.

Oh my god, I don’t think I’ve ever been more jealous of certain people before in my entire life.

Q1: The very southern part of the Nexus I could actually see working out, but if it were to replace the guild table, where would that be moved to?
I did notice the change of the wall right behind the portal, and wondered if that was meant to enhance the illusion of entering and exiting the room, it’s nice to see fine details like that.

Q2: Perhaps we could have 14 Lecterns, one for each class, and filling out any item used on multiple classes fills it in for both of them? And if you fill out everything for a class, you get special lore on the class itself? I mean come on, why wouldn’t a library have info on the classes you’re playing, as well as your equipment, heck, maybe we could even get pet lore, who knows.

Q3: I figured that you’d just have to show Quill the items, as it’d be absurd to have to spend the items for the lore, but I was just making sure as it wasn’t specified.

Q4-5: There isn’t much I can say or question in response to what you’ve said here, I don’t see much of a problem with permanent upgrades for this, but perhaps the character slots and vault chests are reserved for the hardest to obtain items, as those are far superior to skins and pet food, heck, a free character slot is far better than a free vault chest, as characters have 8 inventory slots just like a chest.

Q6: Also ain’t much i’ve got to say here, but i’m wondering what kind of cool things we could do with item lore giving lore for characters as well, it’d be nice to get lore for mostly unexplained characters like Shaitan.

NQ1-5:

• But i’m still confused, in the 2nd image you have the floor labeled with a wand, and what appears to be a staff below it, was that from an earlier version of the library?

• Is this like a Puppet Master / Ticket Master ( Craftable ) sort of scenario? Are they like twins, you can give me all the info about items you can, but I wanna know the relationship between Guill and Quill mate.

• Here’s the thing though, if that button is used to fill in that specific item, what is the purpose of Quill then? Is he just there to give you rewards? Is he just a bootleg tinkerer?

• Well, uh, okay, glad to see you’re proud of your own creations at least.

• All I can really say here is, " That’s reasonable "