The Optimist Band

Helloooo,

it’s Valkie here with another item idea!
It’s called

The Optimist Band!

And I think it would be a cool new ring in the game.

The sprite I came up with is this. I know there’s a lot of colour clutter, but you’ll grow to love it.
37 PM._
Description: A golden circlet with many colorful jewels. Crafted carefully by servants of the Doorwarden, It was once worn by the long forgotten leader of the Court of Oryx.

With the vast number of Untiered rings in the game already, You might wonder - what kind of ring is Valkie trying to make now? This ring offers an HP buff, as well as defensive stats and offensive stats. Now, hold on. You might think oh bother, not another Nile or Bracer or Omnipotence Ring. It’s not.

The Optimist Band provides 130 HP, no MP boost at all, +7 Wis, +7 Vitality, -2 Attack, -2 Dexterity, 10 Speed, and 4 Defence. I think the Band should provide 6% Fame Bonus.

The DPS deduction is the first big thing to notice, lowering your DPS by about 4% at minimum depending on enemy defence. Although pretty negligible, it can be seen as a big sacrifice.

This ring offers 4 Defence. This is a common stat boost held among many rings, like the Experimental Ring and Ring of the Pyramid. It’s definitely something to opt for in exchange for the 4 DPS points.

And then there’s the Speed bonus. Combining this with the HP is what makes this ring shine. Outdoing the Ring of Unbound Speed and on par with the Candy Ring, the Optimist Band should and will be a rare ring sought by players seeking a powerful Speed bonus without the detrimental loss of Wisdom and MP that the Candy Ring plops on.

This ring is meant to change the way a class is played by offering a huge Speed bonus and HP bonus simultaneously, boosting the regenerative stats to recompensate for the lack of DPS. It can be critically handy in matters of avoidance, such as encountering the Spectral Sentry (Mfin spooky boi) in the Lost Halls, rushing dungeons, etc.

This ring is one of many drops of the Neglected Deep, an endgame dungeon with perhaps one of the most intricately designed bullet patterns to date. It has been a work in progress for over a year, and I am excited to be releasing the actual dungeon concept and document after I get feedback on individual pieces.

So, with all that said:

• What do you think of the ring?
  • Do you think the ring is different than other UT rings?
  • Would you use this ring as a main ring, or do you think it would be used as a swapout?
  • What could I do to further balance the item?
  • What do you think of the spritework?
  • Any of your own questions, be that on the item or the dungeon in progress?

Thank you guys so much for hearing my item pitch. I hope to keep progressing this idea and hopefully one day, like other UGC creators out there whose contributions have been added to the game, have my ideas added myself.

Have a great day!

is it a problem i’m not growing to love it?
i’m gonna be completely honest when i say that it just looks like a mishmash of colors with a white line through the middle to me

as for this:

that’s a shitton of stat increases for a neglectable decrease in dps. absolutely needs a nerf as it directly outclasses nile, ubspd, cring, expo to an extent, and is arguably a better gem for those who don’t need mp. it also directly outclasses pyra (arguably) if you’re willing to sacrifice 6 fucking attack and 2 dex for 7 wis, 7 vit, and 10 spd

it’s 4 fucking percent and the stat increases are enormous.

i get that it’s “compensation” for the lack of dps, but the stats for this ring to me seem like gross negligence of balance. it needs a spd decrease and possibly an hp decrease, bc at this point i don’t see why i would ever use any other bulk boosting item over this.

it doesn’t matter how well designed a bullet pattern is if it’s uncodeable.

that’s my feedback, it’s late and im pissed that around half of the ideas i’ve seen in the past day or two have been incredibly broken, incomplete, or lacking in a sprite (not sayin the same about urs tho, although balance here is an issue) so sorry if i come off as rude

-1 sprite :confused:

As noted, the stats given by this ring are way too overpowered without nearly enough of a nerf to make up for it. The sprite is too bright and just overall looks strange

This is intended to drop from a boss that is arguably as hard as the Void Entity.

Then is it a gemstone at all?

That’s why I said it wouldn’t be a situational but rather a main ring

It’s fine! I appreciate the feedback.

Your feedback on the sprite has been noted. I wanted this to look not too much like the Ring of Northern Lights or Omnipotence ring, but I do think the ring looks a bit mangled. Will work on!

why do people keep using this arg? rarity is never a warrant to make something blatantly overpowered.

ut’s are not meant to be a go-to. in line with all ut rings, they almost always have some defined niche, with the exception of all-encompassing rings like bracer and expo, and even they have checks and balances.

this ring is a shitload of bulk, a good boost to wismod, and a giant mobility boost at little to no opportunity cost.

@EpicNecros I apologise; I tried to hear out your criticisms but you returned with yet another wave of defamations.

I was going to propose a change to the ring, making the HP boost 100, reducing the Wis and Vit boosts to 6 each, having -3 Attack and -3 Dexterity, keeping 10 Speed, and keeping the 4 Defence.

Additionally, I have not yet mentioned that the boss design revolves around Twin Cobra, a bullet hell game from back in the day. Please refrain from an emotional argument. Your critique is better taken without your own emotional opinion behind.

I already see big flaws with this ring.
If you don’t mind the -2 and -2 dex tradeoff, this would make Unbound Wis, Vit and Spd obsolete.
Not to add that the -2 attack and -2 dex is a small trade-off for those stats, as well.
and 130 HP on top makes this ring a gamebreaking ring.

woah this guy said the ring is overpowered! it’s completely true but let’s discount that fact because it’s an “emotional” opinion.

all of the points i brought up were statements backed up by solid evidence and argumentation. the only thing i see with your defense is that “oh it doesn’t beat every ring, it only beats like 75% of them in various aspects” or “it drops from a super hard boss with little to no specifics so it has a right to be ridiculously overpowered.”

as mentioned by multiple people in this thread, the ring is too overpowered and yet you’re gonna dismiss it as an emotional appeal.
well, it’s entirely up to you.

READ. MY. POST.

read your own post

edit: and even with your proposed changes, the good point that @tannerlg made still stands:

Both debuffs were doubled.

I don’t know about UBWis and UBVit, because it’s on par with the Superior Wis and Vit :/, but it’s meant to outclass the Unbound Speed, and used as a permanent ring, as I mentioned in the first post in this thread.

The HP boost was reduced to be on par with the Pyramid and Superior HP, but it could be decreased further to 70-90 HP.

the most broken part of the ring is the massive spd boost - the rule of thumb i follow is that the stat boosts arent meant to completely outclass the top tiered rings. even cring has drawbacks. i was mostly fine with 100 hp / 6 wis/vit but 10 spd is far too excessive - imo it should be decreased to 6 or 7 as well.

Good idea!

I wanted to create this ring to draw out class abilities in a way unavailable to other rings without a sacrifice of an HP boost (E.g. UBSpd to Deca or Ring pop to expo, etc.) in a main ring, at the cost of DPS.

I think it would be good if we settled on an 80 +HP, 6 Vit, 6 Wis, 7 Speed, and -3 Attack and Dex.

that sounds fine ye, but remember the def bonus is actually relevant now

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.