The Problem to ROTMG Part 1

Lately these days, everybody’s been complaining about ROTMG being stale. And the truth is, it is pretty stale, grinding Lost Halls or event dungeons over and over again. A few issues contribute to this:

1. Trading
    I want you to think back when you first started the game. Remember back in the days when you had to grind for those T9 armors and T8 weapons? Remember when gearing yourself was a challenge? It may have been a little boring those days because you never improved, but imagine you were put back in that situation today. You would know where to grind for those WC tops, but certainly it wouldn’t be as easy as sitting in USW2 and buying an Acrop for 1 life. Now fast forward to when you discovered trading. If you were like me, then you stopped using anything below old tops. You spent 20 minutes every day sitting in USW2, buying and selling so you could buy that armor you wanted. And you forgot about those days, when you valued anything above T6 weapons. You probably haven’t even entered an abyss or a sewers in 2 months, because you can just buy def and vit for life. Now I want you to think: Was the grinding more fun or was the merching more fun?
    Trading also has many problems in itself. I’m going to create an analogy to our current world. The items you can trade are like stocks. However, ROTMG lacks the single most important thing in an economy, and that is a stable currency. You cannot truthfully say that there is a stable currency in ROTMG, because the truth is, there isn’t. Also, the “stock market” of ROTMG creates a few jobs that should never exist, like merching (stock speculators). How many times have you seen light blue stars, who have never entered a realm save for after they finished the tutorial, walking around with a pixie, oryx shield, fplate, and a deca? This is an example of a problem that trading creates. The current form of trading that ROTMG has is akin to bartering. And we all know what happened to bartering. A stable currency would solve many problems in ROTMG, but sooner or later people would complain that the currency doesn’t do anything, and they would want to buy more things with the currency. Fame is already a good example of this, as people are already demanding more fame boxes, decreasing the demand for gold-based boxes. You can see what would happen in a capitalistic society such as ours, where the admins have to make money to feed our children. They are never going to make that stable currency a thing, because that would decrease their earnings, which means their children starve.
    Solving this problem would mean eliminating trading to an extent, maybe even completely. One way to seeing this is eliminating all trading except trading pots. It would certainly work, but it would still be very unstable. It still doesn’t stop people from forgoing tedious dungeons like abyss and sewers. The only true fix to this is to eliminate trading altogether. There are certain problems that might result from this, such as the problem to storing your pots. Pots take up much more space than gear, especially when you need to store much more pots than you need to with gear. Solving this problem would mean implementing a pot storage feature, where you can store a certain amount of pots and increase the amount of pots you can store with a little gold or a lot of fame (similar to the pet yard upgrades). Also, implementing this would make buying tops in the nexus more common. DECA simply needs to reduce the price of nexus tops. Trading has become a way of life of ROTMG, and I understand that removing trading will take away the experience of trading for pots and such for new players. DECA’s only good choice would be to implement a new currency system, but that would cause players to complain about the lack of items the new currency could buy. People would be asking for more mystery boxes, unlockers, skins, and more, and in the end, DECA loses income because it is such a small game. So, you must ask yourself, is trading really that important?

2. Fame and Gold
    Fame is one of the two currencies that DECA has implemented into the game. Currently, the amount of things you can do with fame is extremely limited. In fact, I can list them: Arena, Pet Yard and Pets, and the rare fame boxes that do come out from time to time. Things like this make you ask, why does DECA even have fame in the first place? Adding more uses to fame would certainly solve the problem, but it is a delicate process. Adding more uses to fame would reduce the amount of money DECA gets, so it is important to balance this carefully.
    Making cosmetics buy-able with fame would certainly make people a lot happier. As of now, the only way for an F2P player to get the cloths and dyes they want is to endlessly grind event dungeons for mystery cloths and dyes. Implementing fame prices in the cloth bazaar would make it easier for people to get the cloths and dyes they want. To make sure DECA stills earns money from cloth and dye sales, these fame prices should be relatively expensive, like maybe a small cloth going for 500 fame. Also, DECA needs to reduce the gold price of the things they implement a fame price to. Spending $1 just to make a warrior pink doesn’t make sense, which drives people to completely ignore cloths and dyes in the bazaar and instead grind them in events. Also, DECA should make 2-3 skins for each class buy-able for fame, should they choose to remove trading. Those would mean the previously tradeable skins, excluding the slime skins and Oryxmas skins because those are still dropable. They should be available for around ~10k fame each.
    Gold is certainly one of those currencies that has limited uses because DECA makes all other things so expensive. A top that would normally take you 10-20 mintues to find should not cost $4. If DECA were to lower their prices on certain items (Nexus tops; Cloths, Dyes, and Skins) and raise prices on high demand objects, like Lost Halls keys. This would certainly increase income from gold sales for DECA.

Part Two will be in another post because I ran out of space.

I disagree entirely with your premise behind soulbinding everything. If you think the game feels pointless and tedious now, just wait until you fill up on tops and can’t even give them away. The times when Kabam panic soulbound all items were easily the worst the game has ever been.

Those are RMTers. They bought those items with real money. Soulbinding everything wouldn’t stop them either, since then they’d just change to buying accounts with items instead of the items directly.

I don’t care enough about fame and gold to respond directly to that part of the post. Cosmetics for fame, sure why not. I would also like to see vaults (not char slots) available for increasing amounts of fame so the game has some chance of being seen as not completely pay to win. Something like 1k for first vault chest, 5k for second, 15k for third, 30k for 4th and every chest from then on. That way newer players have a visible, tangible goal to work towards, the free to play experience isn’t absolutely cancerous and buying vault chests feels more like a choice instead of a necessity. I don’t believe it will cut into profits at all, not even a bit, because - as anyone with numerous vault chests can tell you - there’s no such thing as enough vault space.

I always have been and always will be on the side of sb UT’s being for the better, even though the current loot system can be extremely unfair and frustrating.

but killing trading entirely? now that’s stupid.

if you have to loot everything you ever use, the game becomes an even harsher and even more tedious grind than it already is. there’s just too much stuff to get through in order to get some of the most basic items you work with. forcing you to work (running the wrong dungeons for pots to trade with doesn’t count) for some items is still a thing that should be kept imo, but you’ll never be able to expend the amount of time needed to grind for every item you need. some people are already struggling with the grind for what sb items we have already, locking up the most basic items is completely unnecessary and doesn’t solve anything.

as for fame, the sheer number of fame exploiters reducing the entire fame acquisition process to a joke make it impossible for fame to ever be spent on anything of value because they’ll be rewarded for their cheating with valuable items that other people might not have reliable access to since they have more reasonable amounts of fame to work with. a permanent dye box for fame would be fine imo, but anything else and you’ll run into problems. these problems wouldn’t exist if deca would just grow some fucking balls and actually ban cheaters for good, but that’s not something that seems to be happening.

the REAL problems with rotmg are the following:

1. cheaters (dupers, client users, fame exploiters, etc)
  2. the dungeon key cycle that encourages players not to ever enter a realm and just sit in nexus all day
  3. constant chest “challenges” that feed into the key issue
  4. the frequently unfair and infuriating loot system. I think simply letting everything be tradeable for anything would be worse than what we’ve got now, but the current system is still insufferable and needs help
  5. the average players is incredibly toxic, this is fed by #1 quite a bit because they know they’re untouchable
  6. deca’s complete inability to communicate just about anything important, both to closed testers and the public. changes have been made to remedy this (feedback in rotmg discord), but I’m not going to hold my breath. it’d be cool but I’m doubtful
  7. the spoiled community that resents any change they perceive as negative, even if it’s for the best in the long run
  8. probably some other super important things I’m gonna feel bad for forgetting.

but this? this doesn’t help anything.

I agree with your post almost completely, but I think being petrified of implementing anything for fame due to some people having excessive stockpiles is going to damage the game more than just letting a few people go nuts with untradables.

This really hurts to read, because it means they haven’t improved since I quit being a tester a couple years ago. My already low faith in deca just got another couple points knocked off.

Please don’t.

I would add fame shop with that cosmetics, but I would do getting fame harder

Part two’s not as controversial lol

but its best to leave it at this, to much reading about Deca failing us. My bRaIn HuRtZ

How come people think this? Compared to other developers, Deca communicates significantly more than others, and I definitely feel like they listen to the community far more than any other developer i’ve seen. That may be because I play more games from the bigger devs and it’s no so easy for them to be close to the community, but I think that should still count for something. How should Deca be communicating if they are failing at it?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.