The problem with skins

well with the gentleman skin only like 2 players actually had that skin, but yeah they made it pretty common. But its not too big of a deal, like when king was released, there was only like 30 or something, and it was selling at like 20-30ubhps, but then it got dupped…

But yes, i agree that they shouldnt have released gentleman or at least made it even more rare. But making new skins isnt totally bad

(although i dont know what half of the skins look like now…)

meh… on the other hand someone in testing or one of the developers really did something that made me angry in that I’m F2P so I’m likely to never get any of these pet stones; that said, the ones that made me angry (because I like the idea so much and I know I’m not likely to ever get it) is a smol gsphinx and the evil pony the mysterious crystal spawns when it breaks.

what i do about these skins and pet stones is just totally not care about them, kinda similar treatment for uts released as well.

I have 0 pet stones, and only 2 deca skins (rosen 16X16 and that father pilgrim). Of the deca dungeons, i have all the honey and void katana and 1k shot, but i hardly do them.

… is that “I don’t care for the new dungeons” or “I don’t play RotMG that much anymore” or what? I have no pet stones and the only new white (since Deca took over) that I’ve gotten has been is 1 murky toxin.

The only thing I would wish is that the skins be tradeable after x amount of time after they’ve been released. This makes it so hat people will still pay for them right up front, but then the skins would become available to the rest of the crowd.

Here’s what Myzzrym, a Deca employee, said about this a while ago (whole post here):

Let’s tackle the discussion around skins and reskins. If you currently have a pair of decently functioning eyes, you’ve already noticed that it’s the most regular new stuff to hit the block every time a patch comes around. But why cosmetics? Why is DECA wasting their time on questionable pretty sprites instead of working on, let’s say, the next level of endgame?

You likely have already noticed that all the new cosmetic items have credits on them, which means we’re actually relying on a few people to help us with that. Which in turns means that… Yes, we are actually working on actual content in the meantime! That being said, we don’t just want to rush some super lame new endgame by just slapping stats all over the place and calling it a day. To give you an example: Love it or hate it, most of you will admit that pets are very very powerful which makes it a real challenge to balance around both pet-users and non pet-users. We would like to avoid such a thing happening again.

However, that doesn’t give us the reason as to why we’re still putting skins out there. Making you able to customize your character is one side of the coin - the other is, and most of you will have already guessed: money. While it’d be great to be able to run a game on passion and goodwill alone, it’s unfortunately not the case. I for one need to buy fresh potatoes off the market every morning to keep the servers running plan carefully how to keep a certain level of money coming in, because without that we’d be running into real life issues real quick - the team would get smaller, updates would get more sparse and slower, you get the gist.

Now I’m not saying that to guilt tripping everyone into buying gold (GIVE ME YOUR MONEY REEEEEEEE), but you should now understand the need for us to keep on producing cosmetic content on a regular basis to keep it fresh for people who buy gold and support the game. To look at it from another angle: If there is something everyone out there hates, it’s Pay2Win. Cosmetics are a great way to keep the game running without starting to nickel and dime every player.

On this note, shout out to all our content creators and testers out there.

Honestly every time I read that post by myzzrym I can’t help but appreciate the honesty. There are a lot worse things they can do than release vanity stuff that doesn’t affect the game.

The skins do seem to come out at a breakneck speed, and it is somewhat demotivating that new stuff you might want may never be available to you because that new stuff isn’t actually being released into the trade market, but I just really really appreciate the fact that they are telling us up front that they are trying to make their money in a way that doesn’t hurt things as much as possible.

Now, one thing that still rankles my jimmies is the use of gambling. I really wish some all of the paid content was available at set prices instead of the mystery box garbage. I know that is par for the industry, but I just hate it.

Agreed, I dislike luck. -w-

Free to play doesn’t seem right?

Seems like the best way to do this game IMO. Would you rather have it be a subscription-based MMO like WoW?

my feelings about the issue.

it’s pretty hard to wrap my head around the fact that deca is releasing new content when almost everything they released is reskins every time they release something new everybody is like omg wtf look at this, and deca makes skins and everybody buys them in the mystery boxes and GHZD makes a video, and everything is happy and then in a few weeks, nobody cares anymore, because they can be easily steamrolled and deca releases new skins, and everybody buys them, but then next week, more skins come out and you know what, some of them are honestly ugly. deca is going to make so many skins nobody will be wearing them any more. I really hop they stop releasing skins so that they can work on dungeons full time or something. this is why I can’t wait for @Toastrz lost halls to come out.

Did you read anything Myzz said?

yes, and i get that they want to make money, but not everyone has money to throw around on cosmetics.

You’re only speaking from your own perspective. As it has clearly been proven, a lot of people do have money to throw around on cosmetics. If it wasn’t as effective as it is, they wouldn’t still be making skins.

after a while, it’s not going to be as effective, because they can only make so many skins before people get tired of them.

Unless you’re Iwantdevil, nobody’s goal is to get every single skin. It’s meant for people to pick the ones they most enjoy and try to focus on getting them, not to pile money into every single box. Sure, there’s some people who aren’t as thrilled by skins anymore, but evidently there is still a crowd of people who seek skins to the point of it being profitable.

i just want content, and to a certain group of people, it seems like skins are just a subtle way of stalling.
and another thing, there is no incentive for f2p players.

Content is still a major goal, but it’s not nearly as quick or easy to produce as cosmetics. If your concern is that the skins are a distraction, don’t worry. Artists like Beige and Poshun are asked to make some skins, pet stones and other cosmetics for various seasonal events (New Year, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, etc.) and then they’re left to their own devices. It doesn’t distract Deca or other content creators from doing their own work, and the speed of creation continues as normal.

If dungeons were as easy to produce as cosmetics, there would be a new high quality dungeon every week. Unfortunately, that’s just not reality, no matter how much manpower they have. Unless you want more Kabam-quality dungeons, patience is for the best.

I think they should reduce the feedpower and make skins tradeable 2 months after their release date. :frowning:

DECA is slightly better than Kabam since they aren’t such a money horde, but they totally destroyed realm by re-skinning all the itenz

Don't feed the troll please

Yeah, they totally destroyed Realm by doing something that has no impact on the gameplay whatsoever.