The problem with the game is not that dying is inevitable, the problem is that you have to die to progress

This is in reference to the game’s most stable and core part of progression: pets.
It is absurd that you only receive fame when you die, which creates an environment that punishes good players who play safe. I have a character at 8k alive fame and another 3k alive fame, along with an excess amount of whites I am saving for feed power. The problem? I have no fame, I have no storage space to simply stow away my whites. Do I just not pick up whites, or do I just kill a character? Either way, the situation I am in should, in an ideal game, never arise.
It is appalling that dying, which should only ever be as a result of poor playing or playing carelessly, should be in the way of progressing.
My proposed solution: All fame earned on a character will be moved directly to account fame. On death, all fame from bonuses will be added to account fame.
Example: My Wizard has 8518 base fame and 15246 total fame. With my proposed system, I would have already had 8518 fame added to my account, and when I “move on”, I will get a further 6728 fame added. The total will be the same, but it will allow for a system where death is not necessay and good gameplay is rewarded, rather than death being rewarded.
This change is intended to streamline progression and reward staying alive, rather than dying. It will allow someone to upgrade their pets by using the fame they earn on an alive character, rather than dying to progress it.

Sounds good. @Cutie, you get big fame owo

As someone who is very bad at staying alive I don’t think this would affect me much at all, but it definitely seems like a change for the better!

While I don’t have a lot to really contribute to the discussion, I do have a fun fact: this type of complaint regarding fame-not-given-while-alive existed even back in 2011 (though I reckon that was likely slightly different, since in that Build, they just edited somefin regarding ranks replacing lifetime fame…whatever that meant)

“But you can just use Realm gold!”

I’m totally not agreeing with you, you could just farm LH and receive fame, that would be totally dumb - in times of DG you have free char slots, vaults and everything other wtf - you can easily make 4/8 warrior and do LH to farm fame on this char, then die
EDIT: Also fame buff up to 252 fame :slight_smile:

^^^^“buy realm gold”

I don’t think you understood the point I was trying to make. The fact that you HAVE to die to progress in a PERMADEATH game does not reward skillful gameplay at all. Sure, I could just go and make a fame farm character, but that is time spent not truly playing the game the way it is intended to be played: as a game with risk and reward. So, I guess I’m not really understanding what you are trying to say besides ‘wait until another free character slot drops within a few months and use it to die repeatedly’.

Whats the problem with dying to progress, when death is inevitable? You’ll get your fame. Its just that you get it later rather than sooner.

I’ll pose a question for you: Should I pick up a whitebag even though there is not space for it and I am unable to feed it? If yes, what will I do with it? If no, why should I even participate in the dungeon, or ever the game?

You’re just bringing up the philosophy of “what is the point of video games”.
If that’s the case, just stop playing.

Careful with the straw.

you could get a job and buy more vault space and character slots or you could find a new game if you are not looking to support this one?

You should buy more character slots and vaults so you can store the white bag item. The game devs never said this out loud but to progress you really need to have item space and realistically that means buying slots/vaults. This game is P2W- pay to win by any reasonably common metric like gathering loot, fame or skill…

I very strongly disagree with this idea because it goes against the general philosophy of modern rogue-like design. RotMG, believe it or not, is still a rogue-like by nature. It needs some sort of permanent progression. While I do think fame bonuses DESPERATELY need a rework, I think making fame gain happen prior to death ruins the general game loop of getting loot, dying with loot, getting fame.

Additionally, I think that pet abilities need a rework, but the whole system of pets being THE permanent progression in this game is literally perfect. It’s nice to have something you can dump all of your fame in that way you don’t feel like you’ve lost everything if you die.

I think this will become more apparent as you continue to play the game, but RotMG needs the general game loop to stay the same. You will grow to appreciate it more as you start to do the much higher level content and you have essentially everything in the game at that point. Dying is actually kinda nice when you’re at the point of having multiple of every white from every endgame dungeon because then it gives you some content to try again.

So yeah, that’s my take. I don’t think this needs to be streamlined anymore than it already is. I just think DECA needs to hurry up with their fame bonus rework because the current fame bonuses are pretty god damn awful and encourage passive play.

The problem with this would be that nobody would really die, potions and other items would be cheap as dirt.
So the whole “trading economy” would be bad.

I’ll spend some time addressing your points. I appreciate the response.
While rotmg is a rogue-like by nature, it does not have a solidified end to it. Other rogue-likes like EtG, BoI, RoR, etc., have an end that can be achieved through skilled gampelay, and carry rewards for their achievements. While there is a gameplay loop in realm in terms of maxing, dying, repeat, and the more zoomed-in loop of dungeon, loot, repeat in an effort to get desired items, it does not quite follow the formula of rogue-likes, so I would prefer to call it a permadeath game. The thing is, if you played flawlessly, you would never die. Mistakes do happen, I admit, but does this not create a situation that rewards mistakes?
And to add, I’ve played this game from around mid-Wildshadow days, just been off and on, and over a few accounts. I spent most of it playing private servers, which have reinvented uses of fame for what I feel is the better. I would like to refer to [that one pserver’s] fame coin system, in which bosses occasionally drop coins that can be redeemed for a decent amount of account fame (around 30-40 per pop), which I could also see as a way to reward players for taking on dangerous enemies. Though this amount be quite high, considering that server used a player-run economy with fame as its currency, with all items available to be traded.
This is just my take though, one mostly of frustration, I admit, but I’m not a fan of frustrating things.

So basically the [pserver] idea is just yours, but as consumables?

I agree, once you get to an endgame level of play, dying is something welcome, it provides a sense that you can progress more in the game, even as Isabell said when you have all the more than 1 of all the whites frmo everywhere

Not quite. I don’t wish to refer that much to private servers too much. Not sure if it is allowed here lol. With private servers, fame was not usually used with pets (because there usually were none), but for buying and selling items through the marketplace. I am rather using the idea I described above as it proides a gradual progression through content, along with a big boost when one dies.