The problem with the game is not that dying is inevitable, the problem is that you have to die to progress

I’m pretty sure naming private servers is not allowed, so jusgt edit that to [redacted] but mentioning them without talking names is cool

So let me try to understand this. You had to use fame to trade?

staying alive with high base fame comes with fame bonus that really helps if you want fame, and later in the game, legendary pets consumes alot of fame and there’s the petyard upgrade that is 15k

It’s a pretty tall order to assume that someone would play flawlessly. Nobody plays this game flawlessly. The only people who do play “flawlessly” are people with autonexus. If they aren’t playing the game the way it is intended to be played (with permadeath) then yeah, they may run out of account fame to feed their pet. But regardless, even if you are so good at the game that you hardly ever die (like me honestly) you can always just kill your character off purposefully with high fame bonus gear once you reach like 10k or so fame. If you’re at that point in the game where you hardly ever die, killing off a character isn’t a problem because remaxing that character is only a matter of drinking pots you have stored in your vault to get that 8/8 back.

So again, I see this as more of an argument of how DECA runs the fame system rather than fame needing to be granted prior to death. The fame bonuses just need a rework. The game is meant to be played so that you eventually die on your character.

Though I see many a point being made that is quite worthy of notion, I still find myself to somewhat agree with the general sentiment of OP’s post.

Fame is a reason to “soften” a death, to redeem some form of currency; however, the fact that permanent progression is essentially locked behind it leads to a somewhat uncomfortable situation where players will either have to sacrfiice a character with lots of work behind it, just to progress a small bit.
While this is indeed not an issue for more endgame players, they usually have less desire for fame, since they’re more likely to already have a pet at a level that they’re comfortable with (though perhaps that issue is due in part to the lacking amount of ways to effectively spend fame).
For new players, it usually isn’t a problem either - they’ll die early on anyway, without having made too much progression, so rebuilding to where they were isn’t that big of a deal.

The problem becomes more major once you get to that awkward middle stage: players who have outgrown the stage of dying repeatedly before level 20, but still want to achieve lots of fame to feed their pet, yet also have lots of work behind each of their characters.
For these players, they’ll eventually hit a roadblock in terms of progression like that, since, well…you’ll eventually run out of vault space, as OP stated, yet you’ll keep getting rare items, on and on until you simply can’t hold any more.

However, maybe that doesn’t necessarily make fame the main culprit; rather, it is the fact that death isn’t as common as it maybe should bee, while still being common enough to seriously hamper effective progress.
If the build-up for a character was shortened (both through increased deadliness and ease of access for items), the problem of vault space would decrease, although at the cost of the gameplay loop being generally shorter - which in turn leads to much less time spent before a cap is reached…unless there is some way to implement a proper “ending” of sorts.

…woops, I ended up rambling for a paragraph long. Uhh, generally agree with OP’s sentiment, but not sure if draining fame from character is a bee-all end-all solution.

perhaps it’s a bit of a tangent, but a few of you have been dancing around the topic anyway so I’d like to hammer this point in a bit more:

Quiteus mentioned it in passing, but no one really picked up on it and it’s not a trivial detail: rotmg has no ending. rotmg can never be beaten and you can never ever “win”. this isn’t unusual, it’s pretty standard for an mmo setting that nothing of consequence can ever be achieved by either side. the perpetual status quo must be maintained forever, otherwise the game can’t keep making money off of you and the mmo addiction black magic won’t work. this means that all players, without exception, will either succumb to the realization that this game doesn’t actually have anything to offer and leave, or somehow stick around long enough to see the servers finally taken offline, neither of which are particularly satisfying.

this means that questions such as “what is the point of this game” and “what is the point of progression” have an additional weight to them that other games do not. the game is too shallow to provide meaningful answers to either, while other games can provide a solid answer.

one last note that is relevant to the conversation: we do not endorse pservers on this forum. if you absolutely must reference one of them to make a point about the official game you may, but do not name the pserver you refer to.

Don’t worry about it these people are trying to make it so there’s no long term progression in the game at all anyway.

Insert forum tears about how pets were a mistake here

No offense but I am not paying a dime to this game lol.

Uhhh, how can I explain it to you? Stop fucking playing if you have a problem with game?

If everyone who had a problem with this game stopped playing this game, then there would be very few people actually playing this game.

Offering critiques on aspects of this game’s design is a large part of why this forum exists, and helps the developers understand what the community wants.

:clap: :clap:

Since when did this game ever rewarded players for being skillful?

The whole structure of the game is built around the fact that you either pay to win or leech off incredibly rare calendar which gives you vault and char slot. Kabam probably knew how fame system can be so frustrating and used it to their advantage to create pets, which indirectly tells you to either dump all your progress (or endgame players have affection to their characters, which they need to kill) or give them money.

As soon as I knew I could only gain fame by dying, I first thought that it would be some kind of side-currency, and that this game would need no such thing to progress to endgame and boy I was wrong. Literally the only real way to use fame is pets which they made essential for non-cancerous gameplay on this so-called bullet hell game(Everything except O3 and crystal cavern boss phases are probably considered less than mediocre on other bullet hell game communities) and just because of how broken it is everyone either pays or go through years of suffering of gaining fame.

It’s as if Kabam knew what they were doing, literally destroying the whole purpose of the game and went “Let’s permanently turn this game into a scam where you have to pay or else go die in a hole!”.
And yes, they did an AMAZING job at ruining that aspect of the game. It’s not like we can simply delete all pets or something. They really did leave a permanent wound on this game.

I mean, I guess players can just facetank everything in endgame contents thanks to this whole pet thing, so they can just add more bullshit dungeons and nobody would complain.

So say you spend the alive fame that was transferred. What now

I continue playing using a character I enjoy. What do you think I’d do? Just stop playing or something?

just play pet-less noob

This is because they did know what they were doing. They knew what negative effects pets had on rotmg, which is why pets were a last resort (told us in an AMA)

I’m not sure why the dev team was shifted away from rotmg. But it looks like kabam (as a company) went through big changes during that time.

RotMG represented a minuscule fraction of their income and would never reach the potential they had with their rushed and arguably low quality mobile games. Which is why they sort of gave up on the game after acquiring and maintaining it for some time.

Lol, and here I am, a perfect example of a calendar leeching fool, having not spent a penny on anything save to support the exalt project with the entry fee.
For those who aren’t spending money, some tips would be to keep your rewards in the gift chests until you need them, and yes, you’ll need to be choosy with your whites as you harvest them. I’ve dropped a number of them.
As for saving pots, I condense all I can into into single items, such as the Deca ring (though wise people may wish to bother with another, less painfully acquired commodity), then buying them back as necessary.
I am running on 7 chests and 5 characters with backpacks (though one char I gave to my little sister), and though it can be a pain to swap everything out sometimes, I still have room for some certain marks and a couple clothes/dyes I like.
That being said, I’ve been around for a little while, so patience is key. You’d better be dedicated to the game at the first place, else it may be wise to invest your time in something else worthwhile!
(I mostly do it for kicks and giggles, myself, plus it helped me with my dodging skills with other games when I was younger, along side Super Smash Bros XD)

Not for long they can >:)