The Ranger, a Close-Quarters Bow Class

BuT iT’s NoT pLaTiNuM!!!11 austistic screeching

The shades of gray that are dominant on the Knight and Warrior skins I’d consider to be metal, where as the red would be a sort of leather.

Just think of the ranger skin like the opposite, less metal and more leather. He wears leather armor rather than metal unlike the other two anyways.
(I’d still consider the ranger skin to be platinum because it does at least have some metal showing.

Thats just the way I interpret it though, I’d have to get in touch with both sprite artists to know for sure. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind an alteration to their contribution to the game, as long as it is still there.

Also, the colors might be different because of their color shades, but I doubt that even matters considering that incorrect animations on even the base skins don’t matter much at all.

Well, there are quite a lot of people around the forums that played during that period. But I can safely say that most people approved the changes that were made to the paladin that update, mainly because it was a small nerf compensated by a lot of buffs. Overall, no class got nerfed, ever, as far as I know.

Err, to be honest, I didn’t really check the DPS again after I nerfed it. Did not think that it would be very significant.

I might make a poll later to vote on how this could be changed. This is highly dependent on how the community compares 6 DEF, 5 SPD, and moderate damage to slow/paralyze abilities with slightly higher damage.

I personally believe that the Ranger’s DPS should almost meet the Archer’s, but not surpass, without the ability. The ability would then make the difference needed.

EDIT: Oh and btw, damage difference on the DPS calculator for the ability show to be very negligible. A T0 spell seems to work nearly as good as a T6.

I promised this graph yesterday. I’m very, very punctual.
It falls behind an archer’s at all times, mostly because of the ability not giving any bonus offensive stats.

For abilities, the pfiffel graph is… unreliable? The thing about damage ability is that we should count it as burst damage… As, it’s rare that we need 2k dps for over 5 seconds, but using the ability bumps your total damage by ~20% to 40%.

Edit:
How about upping Dex instead? Afterall, having high dex means more shots, means DPS is more reliant on number of attacks?
Att down to 60
Dex up to 75

or,
Att stays at 65
Dex up to 70

Not saying you should change, but knowing how they compare should prove useful to your judgement.

Well, I was messing around with the DPS graph a bit before you posted this so I gotta say this wasn’t much help at all, lol. It is appreciated though, truly.

I’ve already looked at the values and I have determined that a 65 and 65 is perfect, some may not agree, which is totally fine, so going down to a 65 and 60 could work well too. This is where the poll comes in, which I ought to post in a bit. (Oh, and reverting the bracer damage back to a higher value included.)

I’d rather have ATT be the higher stat, but it really does not matter as the difference would be unnoticeable in-game. (Aside from maxing the character.)

Poll will be up soon.

Here is the DPS graph with ability damage included.

And without.

Based on this, please determine which option in the poll would be the best choice.

Oh, and before you vote, here are a few things to keep in mind.
-Light Green is the current DPS
-Purple is the +5 ATT bonus and the ability damage buff
-Orange is the +5 DEX and the ability damage buff
-Dark Green is both +5 offensive stat bonuses and the ability damage buff.
-On the second graph the orange, purple, and dark green lines overlap for the ability.
-In practice, you would rarely be able to land all 7 shots with the bracer so in reality the ability damage is only about 30% - 80% of its effectiveness.

I did not include the DPS without the ability buffed for some to reduce clutter, so use your best judgement. (Even though the difference is mostly unnoticeable…)

• Keep DEX & ATT the same, but buff the ability.
  • Keep DEX & ATT the same
  • Buff DEX and the ability
  • Buff DEX
  • Buff ATT and the ability
  • Buff ATT
  • Buff both and the ability
  • Buff both

0 voters

I’m not a fan of big polls like this, but there are many options to choose from. I’ll let this one run until about 10 people have voted and there is a majority in at least one option.

(Might take a while considering that only 8 people voted on the last poll in over 24 hours.)

EDIT: Okay, considering the fact that this post has been up for nearly 24 hours and has zero votes from other people I am just going to keep the stats and damage the same. Now ya don’t need to vote…

Added a few more UTs under the UT tab.

Spidersilk UTs were inspired by the Snake Pit’s unusual loot set.

EDIT: Added spritesheets and the Slime Ranger skin if anyone is interested in checking it out. Many other minor changes were made too.

You could have him wear chainmail though! Also, exactly how many shades of gray does the Knight and Warrior skins have?
Alright, that was poor, I’ll see myself out

The most I’d do to a skin is rename it. Ya gotta remember someone made the sprite to begin with. I wouldn’t be too happy if art I submitted was completely redesigned.
(Then again, by submitting art to the developers you are basically telling them to do whatever they want with it as they now own instead… It’s an odd topic I suppose.)

I’ve added more UTs and tweaked existing ones. I’d consider this class to nearly be complete on my end, and in about a week’s length too. Just an ST set til close.

EDIT: Changed my mind on the STs, I decided it was not worth it yet.

@ moderators Feel free to close, I am very satisfied with how this class has turned out and I do not believe I will be receiving any more reviews, at least not at this rate on these forums. (Especially considering that it has nearly 1k views and only >30 replies that are not from me.)

EDIT: I guess there was some discussion left to be had.

I forgot to look at your UTs! The power of Procrastinations compels me!

##General Idea
Spider Silk is the low tier UT, just like thepoison dagger. That’s pretty cool, considering it’s pretty rare.
Effigy Fragment is the AoE clearer. Cool, with an extra attack bonus.
Bracer of Souls passes through obstacles? Hmm… I guess this could be useful in Godlands, but I can’t quite imagine where else.
Garnet/Jade Bracer the armor piercer, I mean, the damage ability has got to have at least one of these, right?

My only gripe is that none of these UTs feel like it changes a lot, like the Oreo or the Swoll Seal compared to the normal one. Balance-wise, it’s good. Just not exciting, I guess.

##Sprites

Uhh… besides the spider silk (which, I like the pattern, but again feel like needing secondary colors), It seems like they were all drawn in very dim light… I mean, I get the Effigy Fragment’s story, but, maybe up the shininess of some parts? I would up the contrast, but that’s my taste, I guess.

Quite a few UTs for existing abilities are quite unexciting. Only those with complex abilities such as the Mystic will really grab attention. In my opinion at least, so comparing it to the Paladin’s Seals is a bit unfair in a sense.

Don’t forget the shot number and arc gap, these stats can make a huge difference next to the shot effect.

As for the sprites? I don’t see their brightness being a problem in the least. It could be my PC of course though because they are quite bright for items with dark colors for me.

Also, I’m not sure if it would be great to involve another color in the spider silk UT because… Well it consist of only spidersilk which is depicted as purely white.

Yeah, I mean Wizzies don’t get that much variety in their spells… I think it’s a matter of my preference. I have a soft spot for quirky stuff.

The shot degree difference can make it unique, true. Purely visually speaking though, the difference is quite minimal.

For the shiny level… It might just be my laptop which I default to the lower levels, but the effigy fragment almost looks like a silhouette, and Bracer of Souls is second behind it. Garnet/Jade Bracer is quite fine by themselves, though I have a theory they might look better if combined. Again, it’s my secondary color thing. I like my contrasting color.

I’ll say this, they are iconic, since little to no UTs are this dark. Closest I can think of would be the midnight star, Oreo, or Doom Bow.

Hm… How dark are these for you? I chose to take the colors directly from the sprites themselves in order to not have color problems.

Color taken from clothes.

Color take from his mid section.

Well, Imma just put them side to side just a sec…

aand…

My take is that the colors probably shouldn’'t be taken from exclusively the body part. I mean, they balanced it out with the top head part for the Oryx Effigy, and the skin of the Grave Caretaker.

Personally, I think a couple of golden dots here and there for the Effigy Fragment would be pretty cool. Or a golden coating which looks like it’s melting/crumbling away. The Bracer of Souls… maybe a little more of the souls? You be the judge, tho.

Err, I’m guessing you didn’t realize that the Effigy sprite already has the faded golden touch to it. It looks like a dull greenish-brown so I don’t blame ya for thinking it was something else if you even saw it.

As for the forgotten souls? Well, the most I feel that I could do with that is change the projectiles. The projectile it has right now was taken from the archer that is in that zone of the Haunted Cemetery. Would not be against changing the projectile sprite. You can’t really wear a soul… (Not to mention that the description implies the arrows shot are the souls.)

Again, I’m a big fan of contrasting colors, and that the faded gold, (found at (3,3), (3,6) and (6,5)) are too similar to the black. Again, personal preference.

The projectile would help it to look unique, purely visually speaking. Again, you don’t HAVE to change anything. Great job at the class, though! This is one of the longer class ideas I’ve seen being discussed in the forums!

Yeah, I tried to keep it as similar to the original colors. I understand where you are coming from, but I think without input from more people I’ll keep it the same.

The amount of effort it takes to swap the projectile is quite minimal, truly. The only hard part is finding a projectile that fits…

Well, that’s what happens when ya make it your goal to bump your post indirectly with 10 hours time in between at most. I’ll be honest, its probably the only reason why I made so much progress as fast as I did compared to my other ideas. (You can also see that I’ve posted more than half of the replies here…)

Made some alternative sprites for ya.