The Royal Treasures and the Crown of the True King (new endgame dungeon drops and a sidegrade to tiered rings)

Welcome back again everyone to another round of item posts by Isa! This time I’m addressing many of the concerns expressed on my tier 7 rings thread which can be found here. I really appreciated everyone’s feedback on that thread and it gave me some pointers on how exactly to go about improving the issues with the rings I had created.

What I have realized is that if DECA ever wishes to add rings that would effectively serve as tier 7 rings, they are going to need some sort of health, defense, attack, or dexterity bonus (or wisdom for wis mod classes). The meta will remain this way until something is done about the usefulness (or lack there of) of vitality, speed, and mana as stats. It makes sense, however, that DPS rings and health rings are the most important currently as the game is literally about surviving and dealing damage. There’s no arguing that. Health and DPS should be what makes rings good (although that doesn’t mean I’m against some sort of vit mod which is definitely needed).

So what we have in this thread is a set of UT rings (and some lore to go along with them!) that will provide bonuses that will make all of them useful in some way. Many of the current tier 6 rings are completely useless, as shown by the unbound vitality ring. The rings in this thread provide a sort of side-grade to previous tiered rings such as the unbound health ring while also providing some interesting drop locations that will freshen up endgame-level gameplay!

The rings themselves essentially drop from “clear” enemies. What I mean by “clear” enemies is that these enemies are intended to be cleared by players in order to progress in their respective endgame dungeon. As an example, the switches in shatters must be cleared in order to progress in the dungeon, making an ideal drop location for a sort of “second quest” that players can do while grinding shatters. You’re most likely running the dungeon for the white bags from the boss, but this will incentivize clearing the entire dungeon (which can be both safer for all players and contribute actual teamplay).

The same goes for the other drop locations. With the Lost Halls having a ring drop from pot rooms, players may be more inclined to clear pot rooms and not just have rushers go and get all of the flames in cult runs for them. The ring provides a second reason to be doing the dungeon, that reason being the ultimate quest to create the Crown of the True King.

Additionally, these items are given special effects that are subtle, yet all are targeted towards helping players while fighting against Oryx the Mad God in his fight in the soon-to-be-released Oryx Sanctuary. Oryx has a special “counter” move that allows him to inflict one of four status effects (weak, expose, sicken, and quiet) on the entire group. These rings are made to directly help players against the Mad God’s counter.

Anyway, let’s get into it!

Royal Treasure: Superbia

A remarkable ruby that shines with the pride of the former king of the realm.

Effect: Heals 40 damage per second when weakened

Tier UT
On Equip +150 HP, +4 ATT, +4 VIT
Soulbound image
Feed Power 1000
Loot Bag image
Drops From Abandoned Switch

Notes
This ring would have an approximate drop rate of 1/400 from the abandoned switches in The Shatters. It is used to create the Crown of the True King.

Royal Treasure: Invidia

A dazzling emerald that was once a heirloom of great value to the royal family.

Effect: Heals 40 damage per second when exposed

Tier UT
On Equip +150 HP, +4 DEF, +4 SPD
Soulbound image
Feed Power 1000
Loot Bag image
Drops From Mini Killer Bee Nest

Notes
This ring would have an approximate drop rate of 1/600 from the mini killer bee nests in The Nest. It is used to create the Crown of the True King.

Royal Treasure: Acedia

An invaluable sapphire that fills you with hope that the realm will one day be returned to its former glory.

Effect: Heals 40 damage per second when sickened

Tier UT
On Equip +150 HP, +4 DEX, +4 WIS
Soulbound image
Feed Power 1000
Loot Bag image
Drops From Cavern Crystal

Notes
This ring would have an approximate drop rate of 1/1000 from the cavern crystals in Fungal and Crystal Caverns. It is used to create the Crown of the True King.

Royal Treasure: Avaritia

A shining gold nugget that radiates power strong enough to fell the Mad God.

Effect: Heals 40 damage per second when quieted

Tier UT
On Equip +150 HP, +80 MP
Soulbound image
Feed Power 1000
Loot Bag image
Drops From Treasure Pot

Notes
This ring would have an approximate drop rate of 1/2000 from the treasure pots in Lost Halls. It is used to create the Crown of the True King.

Crown of the True King

The True King has returned. Take back your throne!

Effect: Heals 40 damage per second when weakened, exposed, sickened, or quieted

Tier UT
On Equip +200 HP
Soulbound image
Feed Power 1500
Loot Bag image
Obtained Through Enter the Court of Oryx with all four royal treasures in your inventory and type “Will the True King return?” and then listen to the dialogue from Craig. When Craig asks, “Are you the True King?” respond to him with “Yes” and the royal treasures will combine into the Crown of the True King and will be placed in a white bag on the ground next to you.

Notes
This ring is obtained through a very special way and is intended to be among Omnipotence Ring in terms of prestige and rarity. It is designed specifically for combating Oryx the Mad God in his sanctuary.

Craig Dialogue

Player states “Will the True King return?” with all four treasures in their inventory.

Craig: “You… You know of the True King?”
Craig: “I’ll let you in on a little secret. Oryx wasn’t always in charge here.”
Craig: “I may be just an intern, but my father held this position before me and I know of this castle’s secrets.”
Craig: “The True King once ruled the realm with a peaceful demeanor.”
Craig: “But one day, Oryx arrived at his castle’s doorstep with his militia and declared the castle his own.”
Craig: “This very castle… the one we’re standing in… It belongs to the True King, but the True King is now long gone.”
Craig: “Oryx was once a powerful warrior, but began to grow insane.”
Craig: “In his mania, he defeated the True King and ended the reign of peace in our realm.”
Craig: “I hope that one day the True King may return and restore the realm back to its former glory.”
Craig: “OOPS! I mean… Oryx is a wonderful ruler! Nobody would ever rule the realm as well as he does!”
Craig: “Well, while you’re still here… I’d like to ask you a question.”
Craig: “Are you the True King?”

Player states “Yes”

Craig: “I’ll be here when you return, my lord.”

And as always, feel free to leave feedback on my idea! It’s always appreciated!

Interesting. Anti hacker too! I like it :slight_smile:

does it increase your fps also?

Lol, I knew someone was going to make that joke. They’re actually all named after some of the seven deadly sins implying that the kingdom was corrupt prior to its fall. It was as if the dominoes were all lined up. Oryx just had to come along and push them over for the kingdom to collapse.

This is awesome :open_mouth:

With Ic/Ooc coming up, won’t that create a conflicting message - to get hit or not?

I love the concept, but these outclass all the current rings (and I believe the t7 ones you created. I think lowering the hp gain to ~100 and keeping the other stat the same would be effective (keep in mind it does give healing under certain circumstances).
I like the theory behind drop locations, but if you are aiming to have an item that drops from end game dungeons which contain enemies of oryx, I think the Royal Treasures should be dropped from the bosses of those dungeons (I do understand your idea but I do not think it is fitting)

Yeah, I agree that the amount of HP they give in addition to other stats may be overkill. I might adjust them to be more in line with UB rings in their balance rather than being in line with hypothetical tier 7 rings. Perhaps 120 HP might do them justice? I would like to keep the crown, however, at 200 HP given the circumstances of obtaining it being absolutely absurd. I want it to be extremely rewarding when you finally get the item. The amount of effort put into obtaining it needs to be justified by it being arguably the best ring in the game.

As for the drop locations, let me explain my thought process a bit more. The items are supposed to be hidden relics of the past and therefore are hidden in statues/deep inside bee hives. I might add a little more lore to this post in the coming days to explain how I chose their drop locations but the main point is that they’re supposed to be relics of the past that come together to create the ultimate ring. Having them appear in strange areas deep inside of the game’s hardest dungeons makes sense since they are supposed to be rare treasures. From my perspective, having them drop from bosses makes sense from a rarity stand point but not from a lore/gameplay objective stand point (they’re supposed to be items that also make the group more inclined to clear the dungeon rather than rush it).

Also, one thing to add. I wish that the nest had some sort of statue-like enemy that was destroyable similar to how the other dungeons have that kind of thing but sadly it doesn’t. I didn’t want to leave the nest out so I chose the bee hives. Perhaps the bees stole the treasure and hid them in their hives as gifts to the queen? Maybe something like that. Again, like I said, I’ll add a little bit to the lore to make it all make sense.

Thanks for your feedback!

First of all I wasnt sure of the hp values of other hp rings, now that Ive looked into it I agree that 120 is a good number, and the crown hp gain of 200 is also good. Additionally, now that I understand your reasoning behind drop locations I see it as very appropriate.
Maybe instead of the hive you can give Avaritia to the Creepy Weird Dark Mirror Monsters who circle esben before he becomes vulnerable? (Either the big or small ones). Ive recently begun to think that ice cave deserves a ST set due to its diverse enemies (4 big enemies during clearing as well as the C.W.D.M.M. in the sanctum). But if these items are implemented that could be a potential drop location imo

I love the idea, and I love the proposed drop locations, except for one of them. The cavern crystals already drop a ring of decades at a low rate, and many players would likely feel slighted if this goes through, because the ring of decades is a highly coveted ring, and may not want to see another rare drop from the same place

hello

I totally understand where you are coming from with this! I just had an issue with finding endgame-level enemies that would make sense to drop treasure. However, I think the important thing to know is that these items would be just as coveted as a ring of decades. Also, they drop in a white bag while deca ring drops in a red bag so it wouldn’t be nearly as disappointing. If they both dropped in the same bag color, then I would definitely not have them drop in the same location. It would be rather disappointing for someone to get a deca ring when they want the treasure ring and vice versa.

Additionally, as someone said earlier, I’m considering adjusting the drop locations so that one drops from esben’s creepy spirit monsters (or whatever they’re called) and possibly have it as a drop from the sarcophagus in tombs (which would make a lot of sense with the whole treasure theme).

Regardless, I’ll be updating this thread in a few days with some changes once I’ve received more balance suggestions. You have all provided very valuable information and I thank you for that! I want to make sure the balance on these items and their locations is perfect for this idea. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.