The Samurai by JohnMH

Why does the Samurai summon a shield and increase his Def at the same time? That seems a bit counter-intuitive. The Def boost would rarely be used.

Also, I’d recommend making the class use Leather Armor, but have a base Def cap of 30.

Aside from that, this is a pretty decent class idea. I like a lot of the art, and the UT’s are creative, as always.

Piercing shots would be a big issue for the class unless you have the Generator. There are also open spots on all of them, making it where you still have to worry about shots but not nearly as much.

Also, I may as well see if people agree or disagree with that.

• Leather Armor
  • Heavy Armor
  • Robe

0 voters

Also, thanks! I love making UTs, because messing with the intended use of an item is always fun.

this.
c’mon, we don’t have to destroy continuity any more than kablam did, right?
FIX YOUR TIERED STAR SPRITES GAAHA

Welp, closed the poll. Looks like it’s going Leather.

t7 ability i see what u did there :slight_smile:

I feel as if it’s overpowered.

Just looking at the T6 headpiece, and considering that wis caps at 75, and can be boosted to 90 with a harley and geb ring (so 75/90 wis):

You get to boost the defense of everyone within 4.29/5.17 tiles by 20, which is almost as much as being armored for robe classes, and a bigger range than marble seal and it lasts indefinitely because we all know how dreadfully speedy ninjas are with their 10mp/s. It’s probably a good time to note that it’s tiered so presumably not an extremely rare drop like marble seal.

The shields themselves are basically indestructible as each one gets 44/56 def, and every lot of four have a combined hp of 3636/3900. That’s more than enough to save you from any non-piercing shotgun, or enough to open up MBC’s tentacles successfully. Each one circles around the player twice per second so you’d usually have three or even all four eating bullets from any direction at once. Basically anything that isn’t lethal or piercing in realm would be completely harmless.

Mana usage is irrelevant because you get 30 seconds to replenish 135 mana (since the shields themselves with probably rarely break before then). I think that if you activate your ability again before the shields go down, it should delete the current ones and make new ones, for convenience (although that doesn’t change how overpowered it is).

I think the UTs are interesting but still very very overpowered. My favorite concept is the crusader’s pendant because it gives you a chance to get in deep and deal damage while significantly weakening you, but then it gives you the means to get out of a sticky situation with teleportation and be armoured and absorb every shot that you can get with your cursor. Depending on how fast the shield moves, you could use it to block a lot of shots. Or you could just sit it on top of a boss and absorb every single one of it’s non-piercing shots for a full 3.5 seconds (edit2: goodbye all MBC tentacles permanently assuming people bring a couple of UT-wielding Samurai). It’s just too insane how much this seal breaks the game and really sort of undermines the warrior, who has to go deep with speedy and beserk without being able to teleport out almost instantly.

I haven’t really thought too hard about the other UTs, but I can say that, save for MBC drop, all of the others seem to drop from bosses that are considerably easier than what such powerful items should drop from. Also none of the UTs have mana costs btw (just in case that needed a fix).

The Holy Warrior set is fine, though I haven’t looked at the headpiece. It also doesn’t have a mana cost.

Idk I think I sort of like the concept but currently it’s just insanely broken. Also I just realised that Kami No Yoroi gives +7 wis so the max wis for the Samurai is actually 92, which makes half my calculations slightly less than the actual values (so even more OP).

Ily though as always John.

EDIT: Wis modifier is exclusive for classes who’ve needed it in the past. I haven’t actually looked at the values, but without a wis modifier, they feel like they’d be much closer to reasonable (although the infinite 10mp/s still concerns me either way).

Oh shit, I completely forgot the MP Costs. I’ll update the post for it accordingly.

Also, I’m just gonna go ahead and remove the Wis Modifier for the Defense of them, and decrease the Defense of the Titan’s shields.

I’ll go through each thing accordingly in order to give a good idea of what each one would look like, with Tiered and Untiered and Set Tier individually. (Except for the Tiered, they’ll be covered as a whole. And they’ll be covered without the Defense bonus added to the shields, since I’m updating it immediately after this.)

Tiered Shields are basic as they are, though they can be powerful depending on where you are. If you’re in a place like the Mountains, then they will prove to be extremely helpful in keeping you protected from a lot of things outside of the Medusa AoEs. The Held Effect giving more Defense would also allow easier defending from attacks if used properly.

Titan’s Headpiece is extremely powerful but with its major drawback being that the shields do not circle you, but rather the pillar that spawns. This is a much more strategic version of the headpieces for its Activated Effect, since you could make a big risk and put it on top of a target to protect around them, or place it down and stay around it for emergency cover. Its Held Effect gives the Armored effect like the Marble Seal does, and it also gives Damaging, though it gives Slowed and Dazed, making you more like a literal tank, where you fire very slowly and move very slowly but do lots of damage and take much less damage. It also gives Defense in the most range of them all for this reason.

Mark of the Warlord is much more offensive, and it leaves you much more open if you choose to use it. It gives Attack in a range as well as Damaging to the user, but it also gives Armor Broken, making it a big risk in terms of Defense, unlike the Crusader’s Pendant. Its shots are very powerful, but it won’t do nearly as much DPS as the user will over time. It’s like a Purple Drake, where it attacks others while being a follower of you.

Crusader’s Pendant stays exactly where your cursor is, having no set speed, instead depending on how fast your mouse is. Using your mouse also means that this is where your mouse will aim, and if you’re at a distance or other enemies are nearby, you’re compromising your Defense significantly since you can’t actually aim at the enemy you want. And if even one stray shot hits the “Shield”, it will activate its effect, meaning that it will interrupt your usual intention from it. Its Activated Effect is also very universal, since it can be used to get real close to your target very quickly, or it can be used to escape from danger.

I’m surprised you didn’t talk about the Mechanical Generator. It completely negates piercing shots while standing farther from the user, and its Held Effect gives Wisdom and prevents Status Effects to the user while hindering speed and damage output. It’s a far different use than tiered headpieces.

The ST Headpiece is more priest-like, as stated in the document. It can be used to protect, sure, but that’s not the main usage, as its main usage is to heal others that are close. Its Held Effect also grants Vitality and Healing to those nearby while preventing the user from having their screen dimmed by Blind or Darkness.

With no Wisdom Modifier, overall the class would feel a little less magical(in more ways than one) than it currently is, and that was my intention upon making it. It was made to feel powerful in a way no other class would be, one that would fit in with the idea of getting close to deal damage and defending well in a way that isn’t just wearing a Heavy Armor. It’s another way to encourage getting more Wisdom, which makes it more fair for anyone that uses it.

That’s good for the tiered stuff, I think hp may still be a little large but it definitely reduces just how unbeatable the shields seem with 50 defence in midlands/godlands/abyss

It’s just too much for it to be continuous. I’m sort of assuming that the held effect won’t be available while the shields are up, which helps a little to give a player the choice between semi-armoured for the whole group or super-armoured for themselves.

Like I skimmed over them all. Given the points I’d already made, the only truly notable one was the one that turns off bosses for 3.5 seconds every 10 seconds per samurai. That’s why I didn’t really care about the others. If you do want to know what I thought of all of them:

Mark of the Warlord: Not worth using, even as a swapout really, because it’s nothing compared to the def-boosters.

Titan’s Headpiece: Held ability is literally a debuff because dazed + damaging is weaker than having neither effect and then you’ve got slowness and armour broken on top of that. The activated ability itself actually isn’t so bad because the shielded zone is stationary, and can’t charge along with you blocking everything you want it to.

Crusader’s Pendant: Hopefully I’ve made it clear why this headpiece is literally game-breaking.

Mechanical Generator: Unless you really are a true team player, and there are very few of those in realm, you’re not going to be using the held ability. The shields may negate pierce but they also die in a much more reasonable time, so yes, the negation of pierce is balanced, which I wasn’t concerned with to begin with.

Sukuinishi No Okurimono: The held ability is much nicer since it’s not overpowered (until, again, you note that it lasts forever). It’s just a nice buff, and I really appreciate just being able to remove some nice debuffs. Except then you realize that in some dungeons, like Shatters, it can occasionally be an advantage to be in darkness so you can avoid enemy shots, and it’s great to know exactly when you will and when you won’t be in darkness and this item completely breaks that ability, and could be used to troll just a little.

Nice: I can see this being very easily made into a hack that can be in a new place each frame, in order to systematically destroy every bullet on the screen around you. In a group context, it really doesn’t matter if you’re not aiming at the boss for 3.5 seconds to instead be a super-tank for shots. Suddenly this item also undermines Pally + Oreo as well as Warrior.

Currently that’s just by being overpowered, it’d still be fun with significantly reduced values on the shields, and designing them more like regular abilities, which are popped more than once every 30 seconds.

Every player pots wisdom with or without a wis modifier, with or without a divine pet (because you need 3 8/8s to get into SBC and that’s at least 48 wis pots on average (and that’s just if you choose to only make 3 sorcs)).

John, I need you to channel the you from the other day who said that a robe concept that trades 13 DEF for only 3 atk, 4 dex, 4 wis and 65mp was not balanced. We need some more of that to shine through here.

Actually it’s starting to dawn on me that you must really not be a fan of low def.

Ily tho.

The Activated Effect will always proc before the Held Effect, but both are able to be active at the same time. This is simply to make it so you can’t just be a self-absorbed piece of shit 100% of the time and only defend yourself.

When comparing this to the others, if defending is not an issue, or you simply use the Activated Effect and then switch to a different ability, then it can be pretty good in this sense.

*Armored

Perfect, because that was the intention of it.

I may reduce the time it’s up to 1.5, and increase the cooldown.

ayy

Not really sure how this would be the case.

There’s simple ways to check where the cursor is and keep it snapped to there. And if it moves too fast, then it could be easily detected, banning the user temporarily or permanently for it, as it is a hack.

The current design of them is to keep everything around you up for an extended period of time and bring them back up once they’re gone, since the higher the difficulty of the area you go in, the easier it is to absolutely wreck the shields. It may be EXTREMELY powerful when it comes to low level stuff, but in higher level stuff and even end-game stuff, it can become almost useless, which is why the Held Effect is also there. I made sure to take into account every single little detail when making this, because I wanted this to be my most extravagant class yet.

There’s still an opportunity to get Defense here, it just encourages Wisdom more than other classes since it aids your Defensive abilities. This isn’t to make you choose to wear a Geb’s Ring of Wisdom everywhere you go, it’s just more of making it more beneficial to have extra Wisdom.

I mean, the thread you were referencing had literally no Defense, which almost nobody desires. It’s balanced out where it’s present on Oreo, though that’s the reason that the negative Defense on Indomptable is a big turn-off for many people, and even for Cutlass when it only has -2.

that’s gay bruh

Three cheers for TannerLG!

Poor Squidward. I mean Tanner. Shit.

For the 16x16 is it possible for others to participate in possible submissions for the idea of a skin for this ST set? If so, I’d love to have some of the hex codes for the colors used so it is as accurate as possible.

Oh, sure! Though, I’d only be able to give RGB, since Paint doesn’t have hexadecimal.

I’ll put them here when I’m not about to do stuff in class.

Alright sweet, this class is overall a great idea and saying that DECA’s plans are to release a new class around next motmg it’d be amazing to make this idea even more insanely thought out by the time they come around to planning so it has a higher chance of being released into the game.

I mean, I thought it was extremely thought out already myself. Only thing I could imagine to make it even more thought out would be to give it a ton more skins, give examples of how the ability would work through GIFs, getting the 16x16 skin done, and… I can’t think of anything else.

Yeah not much else to really add overall currently, but who knows what might come to the mind if you continue to the think of the project instead of drifting off into other items, leaving this one behind. I didn’t mean for that comment to come out as trying to say that this is not thought out, it’s actually a incredibly thought out project and is probably one of the most (IF NOT THE MOST) detailed class submissions I’ve seen so far. Just trying to say there can always be more added to it while you still have time to do so. Who knows maybe some ingenious idea might some how pop into your head at any moment giving you an even greater idea but potentially causing you to rework certain things ENTIRELY! but that’s not that likely to happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rudolph the Berzerk
Is it just me or does the sprite kind of look like this warrior skin

If it does, then I had no intention of making it that way. I was getting the details based on the Shogun for this based on this picture:

It’s also where I got the idea for the abilities.

Probably due to the color scheme (of the torso and legs) and the horn like objects above the helmet of the samurai, it’s just natural headgear that a samurai at that time was said to wear.

This is quite the weird idea but what if there was a UT for this class that dropped from pentaract, I have no idea what this could do but the shields could kinda look like the minions that it spawns and the overall item could be like the rest but with some sort of eye in the center, it’s a very vague idea but I’m really just trying to spit some out.