The Sunken Cell: Endgame Dungeon Idea

This was an endgame RoTMG dungeon idea I’ve been thinking of for a LONGGGG time. I have always wondered why the Oasis Giant was the only true giant in realm. Sure there are trolls and ogres and even the Beer God, but in all honesty, the giants are underrepresented in realm–or the best arguments that can be made for a giant is veto’d by the label of “God” which realm has placed on that creature.

In Norse Mythology, giants were on par with the Gods. So I wrote up a dungeon on what happened to the real giants in RoTMG!!! Enjoy! I put my heart and soul into this dungeon and its concepts! As a long-time realmer, I made sure to make this endgame dungeon MEAN lol. Also, sorry about the lack of sprites: I’m only now starting to get into the process of RotMG spriting lol. For the most part, I’m interested in feedback on this idea. Is this idea worth fleshing out with all the sprites? I’d be really interested to see what the community thinks I should do to update/improve this idea.

The Sunken Cell

Well, I like the idea of this, anyway. Plenty of tweaks needed, of course, but I’m a little wary of some of the loot. Nothing should give group invisibility (as cool as it sounds on paper) for trolling potential, for instance. I do like the Manticore cloak idea, though! Keep it with a lower invisibility timer or something to compensate, but I like having a reactive proc that retaliates a hit when hiding.

(Long ass reply incoming) I like the lore; it fits in perfectly to the “lore of Realm” (more accurately the scraps of lore), and it doesn’t add some new unheard of faction, or some big bad new uber powerful villain; it incorporates things we already know/see, things that are left open ended (like the Oasis Giant) and it has an interesting setting too (being a prison for those who are now spiteful of Oryx’s negligence).

In terms of endgame, I’d honestly prefer if this were the case that the means to enter changes, since the drop location is so ungodly rare (that is, to find a Beer God), and in that vein, it would be hard for Discord groups to reliably run them. I like the idea that the Beer God sneaks into the Wine Cellar to steal Ale for his kin; perhaps after O2 is defeated, a secret passage has a chanced to be opened if you can find it (by walking along the walls, or something idk), and a Suspicious Barrel can be broken to drop something. This item can be then used in the Realm to locate a Beer God - you could even reincorporate the Beer Slurp by doing this. That way there’s a means to find the dungeon more reliably.

Aesthetic wise (despite the lack of sprites/tiles), I can imagine it’s a depressing, dark grimy prison, which RotMG doesn’t really have yet (CoTT/Davy’s is the closest we have, and even then they’re less menacing), so it works as a standalone. I also REALLY like the idea of the dungeon being semi-static; meaning, there’s many rooms and layouts that are always present, but the layout changes each time, so it feels more complete and more ‘immersive’ I guess.

As for the part where you say “The only rule that the other rooms of the dungeon must follow is that they must be of a lower elevation than the armory”, that would also be very nice to see, as Lost Halls is currently the only dungeon to have “multiple elevations” and even then it’s hardly noticeable. Looking through the room types, my only idea to toss in as well would be more narrow claustrophobic rooms, perhaps Vent Rooms, that provide alternative means of movement, but are infested and hard to maneuver in.

And for the sake of technicalities, there would have to be some mechanic to help along the group into certain spots without splitting them apart. I can imagine tryhards rushing and leaving everyone in the dust, or people doing the Treasure Room while the main group is doing the Boss (or vice verca). Either you have a mechanic where the Storeroom and the Observatory cannot be accessed unless a majority of the group is nearby, that way only can be done at a given time, and a small group of trolls can’t ruin it for the rest (since once the Boss Rooms close, people left behind can’t enter). Lost Halls does this via the Marble Defender for example.

I can’t comment on enemies too much, since the numbers are very important (a shotgun of shots, for example, is too vague to get an idea of how devastating a shotgun we’re dealing with), but I get the ideas and the enemies seem well rounded (ranged, melee, mid range, chasers, hazards to rushers, the whole shebang).

The main boss fight I also like very much; it progresses very slowly (with half the phases not even involving the main boss), but once he begins to fight, he’s fierce and very imposing, as a giant should be. It also seems to be a VERY long fight, which is good for endgame, but maybe sacrificing certain phases that continue for x amount of seconds to only lasting until the group can DPS it down fast enough (to add a margin of skill, for speedruns/guildruns or whatever).

Same exact praise for the main boss as for this one; much more sneaky and with tools up his (her?) sleeve, as a master Thief should be. The fight is also much simpler and easier, which honestly compared to the main boss might be too much of an underkill (is that a word?), since the difference between their difficulties is REALLY noticeable. Other than that, I like both the fights in relation to their given boss and their phases.

For the prism, maybe it creates an aura for 3-4 seconds where if you walk into it, you are invisible, but as soon as you leave, you’re visible again, since that way it’s more controllable and you can work around it. The star seems kind of like giving the Ninja a teleport cuz why not and it doesn’t really feel like a star at all. Maybe, when you threw the star out, once it reached its destination, you would be teleported there. Wand also seems like giving the Priest an EXTREME damage weapon cuz why not (it’d be like giving melees a Wand). Perhaps it could have medium range (4 - 5), but the whole gimmick is lowers enemies DEF more reliably, so it’s more of a utility wand. For the hammer, as it stands, boomeranging shots can’t hit twice, but with Exalt this seems very interesting (like an Endgame rapier). For the dagger, since the Bleeding chance is so high, statistically it’d either just be a straight up better dagger than most or worse, and we already have enough daggers that stat into DPS. My idea would be if you can continually hit the same enemy for like 2 - 3s, your Dagger then also causes a really powerful Bleeding, so it’s only good for bosses where you can reliably dig in hits.

For the Katana, same thing as the Wand; in general, really low percentage chances are just not good for game balance, and reliability allows for more situational and useful swaps. So, maybe the curse is more common but at the cost of damage. Or even, just change this one entirely (since Curse is a really overdone debuff anyway; in most cases you wouldn’t need it), to instead just pierce through Armor, or to Increase SPD while near enemies at the cost of some DPS, like a serpent would (also makes it very useful for rushers, especially on the Ninja, an already fast class). Giant Finger may need a small CD, else it may be really nutty for speedruns. And the ring of Gianthood as it stands, could have more to do with its effect. My idea would be to lower its stats overall (maybe 8 DEF, and 80 HP), but whenever hit below like 55% HP, you gain 8 DEF but lose 6 SPD (with a CD of course), and your sprite would also change into a Giant (so you actually become brutish but slow, like a Giant should).

As for the other items, I like them a lot (and even the ones I mentioned are good, but rough around the edges in terms of balance or just viability). I know this is a long ass reply but I was bored so eh, fuck it, why not? If I were you, I’d think about definitely trying to flesh this out more with sprites and concrete numbers (although it is a much more laborious task than it may initially seem).

Omg thanks for the feedback! I really want giants to be in the game. I’m gonna try to flesh out this idea more and see what I can do!

Honestly I didn’t even think of group invisibility as a bad thing. Thanks for the feedback. This idea has a lot to do and I’ll definitely be working on it when I can! I thought cloak of the manticore was one of my best ideas! Thanks!

Yeah, group invisibility has been brought up multiple times in these forums alone. Others have agreed that that invisibility power has too much trolling potential, and same with group speedy.

this is really good

Thanks!

its ok.

Lol thanks guildie! I know it mediocre atm. But I’m really hyped for working on it in the future! I found some cool sprite options I’ll be exploring soon.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.