The Underworld

This is a HUGE leap in an odd direction. (So don’t tell me how impossible this idea is, I already know.) Take the Realm and turn it upside down. You now know the basic idea of this new realm.

Note: The Dungeons & Enemies category seemed like the best fit for this sort of idea.

How do you get here?
Every player in the Realm is sent to Oryx’s Castle after the realm has closed for two minutes. The players that are in dungeons after this occurs exit into a new realm that is usually not opened in Nexus yet. Instead of players entering an empty Realm they’ll find themselves in the Underworld Realm.
The reason behind this being that the earthquake caused by Oryx sending the players to his castle disrupts the dungeon exits as the Realm is abandoned.

Lets refer to normal Realms as the Overworld.

Before I move forward I’ll display the names and difficulty scaling for both of the Realms.

Overworld: Difficulty increases with increased elevation.
Difficulty-Name
1-Shoreline
2-Lowlands
3-Midlands
4-Highlands
5-Mountains

Underworld: Difficulty increases with decreased elevation.
3-Mushroom Layer
4-Upper Caverns
5-Lower Caverns
6-Hell
7-Land of the Damned
(As you can see, the names could be better. Feel free to suggest better names.)

The Layout

The Underworld is slightly larger than the Overworld, but there are differences that are more important.
(The map size is actually the same size, but it doesn’t waste as much space as the Overworld does.)
I’ll explain each region on the map one at a time.

The Mushroom Layer
Players spawn in the Mushroom Layer, Mushroom Layers can be found in similar locations that the Mountains would be found in the Overworld.
This area should be treated as the shoreline in the Overworld.
The only water in the Underworld can be found here. (Other than possible new event and quest set-pieces.)

This region contains mushroom themed terrain and enemies. (I might supply terrain, enemy, and projectile sprites, but that is a LOT of work for the entire Underworld.)
The difficulty here is similar to the Midland in the Overworld.

Monsters here drop weapons/armors of tiers 1-4 and abilities/rings of tiers 1-2.

There isn’t much to this area like there isn’t much to the shoreline.

The Upper Caverns
Did I forget to mention roads? Nope. As an uncharted territory would have it… there are no roads.
However… There are impassible walls that divide areas much like dungeons. Makes getting to that event that much harder. (Or closing the Realm.)

The Upper Caverns connect all of the Mushroom Layers through tunnels twice as large as the Ice Cave’s. (And not dungeon-like, it is straighter instead of having what players call “Rooms” in dungeons.)

Quest set-pieces with monsters that need to be killed in order to close the realm can be found here inside the walls by breaking destructible walls.

Monsters here drop weapons/armors of tiers 4-6 and abilities/rings of tiers 2-3

The Upper Cavern’s difficulty level is similar to that of the Highlands.

The Lower Caverns
This area is similar to the Upper Caverns, but its tunnels are a third of its size.

The Lower Caverns is where lava rivers begin to appear. The difficulty level here is similar to the Mountains in the Overworld despite containing enemies not as strong as gods. The reason for that is the tight spaces and common lava obstacles.

Monsters here drop weapons/armors of tiers 6-8 and abilities/rings of tiers 3-4.

Here quest set-pieces spawn similar to the Upper Caverns, but some quest set-pieces must be passed through to enter the next region, Hell. (They don’t need to be killed to pass though.)

Hell
In Hell all of the cavern walls end, leaving a much more open environment. Though, it is a little too open… Impassible pits occupy areas in Hell, though they are not very common.

If you follow the banks of the lava rivers from the Lower Caverns you will enter Hell without having to pass a quest set-piece monster. Lava lakes that are not as large as the lakes in the Overworld can be found here too. These are basically like the pits, in which they are a barrier, but they are deadly and can be passed by lava walking. (Why you would want to lava walk here is beyond me…)

Hell is a place that contains “fallen gods” that drop normal stat potions and greater stat potions. Hell is similar to Godlands in the sense that players would farm potions to max stats, but the difficulty of these gods are enhanced compared to your normal god. (All/most Gods here would have piercing shots and more range in order to assist in preventing fame trains.)

These gods drop weapons/armors of tiers 8-10 and abilities/rings of tier 4. This area also contains quest set-piece monsters.

The Land of the Damned
You WILL die. That is a good motto for this location. In the Land of the Damned you will find very little success or reward alone. This is the kind of place that having a guild would be extremely beneficial. Small coordinated parties are most suitable for this location.

The Land of the Damned are islands that are divided from Hell by an ocean of lava. The only way to get to these islands are small land bridges. One way in, one way out. These islands are half the size of the mountain zone in the Overworld and are scattered about the edges of the Underworld map.

The majority of the event bosses will spawn in the Land of the Damned to give more reason to go here. This lessens the chance of steamrolling on top of the already heightened difficulty due to the obstacles between the players and the events.

Enemies in The Land of the Damned are not swarm creatures. A monster type that could be found here are titans. These monsters are dangerous to fight even 1v1 with the average geared 6/8 character.

All greater stat potions excluding the Life and Mana potions can drop here, but farming these areas are challenging due to the strength of the monsters and the small territory.

The weapons/armor tiers that drop here are 8-11 and the rings/abilities that drop are tiers 4-5.

Event Bosses that spawn in this zone open up the REAL end-game dungeons. Shatters is just child’s play. (Okay, maybe not child’s play, but you get the point.) Coordination, trust, and skill are the basic requirements for players in these dungeons. There is no way of brute forcing or steamrolling in the Underworld, it is an unforgiving place.

Current Set-Piece Boss Ideas
Shrine of the Damned

Fallen Guardian

Crimson Demon

Current Event Boss Ideas
Cerberus

Ultra Pentaract

Descendant of the Forsaken King

Charon

Current Dungeon Ideas
Fungi Garden

Eldritch Cove

Enraged Catacombs

Ancient Mines

Hydra’s Lair

Ethereal Battlefield

Stormlands

Slithering Crypts

Cosmic Rift

Pit of Chaos

Acropolis of the Fallen

Lost Lands

Tartarus

^ More info to be added later on these specific additions ^
I might just make a google document for this idea due to the size.

Closing the Realm
The end of the never ending game. Completing what comes next is a greater accomplishment than achieving all stats maxxed, greater than obtaining the White Star, greater than a fully upgraded guild hall, and greater than getting a maxxed Divine pet.

I have few labels for this area, but I do feel that it should be known as the place that ends the game.

This location is similar to that of Oryx, but follows this layout.
(I’ll list the Overworld Realm’s end layout for comparison.)
Difficulty Level-Name
4Oryx’s Castle (Path to the lesser boss)
5Oryx’s Chamber (The lesser boss)
6The Wine Cellar (Greater boss)

7The Styx
8The Bridge (Path to the lesser boss)
9The Gate (Lesser boss)
10Onyx’s Citadel (Path to greater boss)
11Onyx’s Keep (Greater boss)
(I’d rate the Shatters a difficulty level of 8)

Map and game mechanics to prevent leeching would be set in place here too. (No pausing is included. You shouldn’t be going AFK in an end game dungeon anyway.)

That is all.
Not something with a chance of being implemented, just a fun idea to experiment with and imagine.

If you have any suggestions or want to share your input you are free to do so.

The Underworld Project
What ever happened to Elder Realms?

I love this idea. Hope it can be developed further (ie sprites & events)

I see you’ve been reading up on other posts about realm reformation and how they are generated. Cool idea.

sooo, a harder-scaled realm that is a bit more dungeonlike than the normal realm. perhaps that’s oversimplifying it a bit but not a bad idea. I can think of a couple things I would change though, just some small things

1. While it does fit the area better, I think it should not have tunnels in the different layers. simply because this is supposed to be like a harder upside down realm, when you were describing it I was kinda picturing a massive pit like in Dante’s version of hell. so wide open but still underground.

2. instead of 1 in 5 realms being this, I think servers should just have whatever normal realms there are, plus one of these. much simpler.

overall, the general concept has been thrown around a bit, but this could really open up a whole new direction for rotmg to go in.

oh yeah, names. just a suggestion here, rename the last layer to Hell and the one that was called Hell to the Lava caverns, don’t want to go overboard on awesome names on a world map :wink:

I knew I’d miss something in my explanation. I forgot to mention that the mushroom layer is basically, lore wise, the enterance from the overworld.

It is the highest point and, if visualized in three dimensions, would be at the roof of the actual Underworld. The caverns lead to the the bottom of the Underworld which is where Hell is found. Here, a slope would lead to the ceiling from the cave exit revealing a massive open area.

Think about it like putting a roof into the top of a mountain that extends infinitely. The inside of that mountain would be the only way to get in and out of the Underworld. The Underworld depicted is merely an island like the Overworld. The expanse of lava past the Land of the Damned is seemingly endless as an ocean would in real life.

I do believe I need better names, but I don’t think I’ll choose lava caverns as, like water, lava settles at the lowest point it can, but because it is lava it is more destructive and manages to stay at that point. I chose Land of the Damned because, well, Titans. I’ll think of something better later of no one beats me to it.

Additionally, I should point out that the Mushroom Layer, Upper and Lower Caverns are classified as caverns, Hell and the Land of the Damned are classified as Hell, while all of it is classified as the Underworld together. More subdivisions allow for more options despite them truly being extremely similar to another.

I hope this paints a clearer picture, if not I can “paint” a picture that describes what the Overworld looks like in comparison to the Underworld.

No I’ve got a great idea - just imagine minecraft netherworld vs normal.

Yeah, I suppose that fits as long as your portal is at the top with caves leading down to the base of the world. Just minus the fortresses and overhanging ledges of course.

I dunno… I feel as a lot of aspects of the underworld that could be really unique features are missed here, such as Charon, Cerberus, pomegrants, Elysium, etc.

They could appear as set-piece quests and events, there is plenty of potential and room for improvement.

Why would you spend that much time and efforts on naming realm zones, something that will never have its name displayed in the actual game???

Pretty sure the Titans were sent to Tartarus anyway.

I’m all for having special realms, if only because they’d be easier to find than dungeons and offer a lot more to explore. My only concern is that, much like Elder Realms, this might prove to complex a concept to be properly finished.

The names help define the areas when there is no visual representation, and I’m no expert on the Titan subject, I’ll need to do some research when I get time to. (Nothing needs to be exact, after all this is only a fantasy game.)

I visualize this as a more complex version of the Overworld Realm that has its own obstacles, enemies, and features. (People want new content, editing existing content doesn’t make as big of a difference.)

If I understand correctly, the Elder Realms concept only has stronger versions of already existing monsters. (I’d prefer it not to be compared to Elder Realms as it is different and separate idea anyway.)

I’ve always wondered if they’d ever add a second type of realm.
I’ve had a concept like this for a long time. I think this realm could only be reached from the portal dropped by O2, then later you can get back from a portal in the nexus, which you can only go through if you’ve been there before. It would have higher tier items that are better than current tops, and new event bosses. Also, new classes could be unlocked in a similar fashion, but only in this realm. It would have new dungeons, and an Oryx of the Mad God 3.
However, the difficulty would be tremendously harder. (ex. beach = godlands, and ramps up quickly) You’ll need a good pet to survive, however, almost everything drops the cheaper stat pots. (spd, wis, ect.)
The realm is cleared just like the normal one is, kill all the events. You’ll have to fight through a harder version of Oryx’s castle, however even 85 8/8s might have a hard time going through this. (This is supposed to make the Shatters seem like the beach in comparison, though the smallest loot from the bosses is multiple life pots) Then, you’ll have to fight Oryx the Mad God 3, however, greatly buffed from the O3 you see in private server videos. If they somehow completely fix duping, O3 will drop the Amulet of Resurrection. However, it will be the rarest item in the game in terms of likely to drop.

What do you guys think about this following idea? Instead of accessing the Underworld from the Nexus you must be inside a dungeon from a realm that Oryx had closed.

The reasoning behind this is that
A. The earthquake that occurs from Oryx causes the player to end up in the Underworld upon exiting the dungeon.
And B. Similar to Janus, this would be more of a secret thing (At least to new players.) that you accidently stumble upon.

This will make players have to think about whether they can risk not escaping to Nexus when they are in danger as the Underworld isn’t easy to return to. (Or rather it is more time consuming.)

The Underworld would send players in an 85 player cap realm like the realms in Nexus. If 85 players are in the Underworld and another player is sent there they will be in a new Underworld.

I’d like to see opinions before I make the change on the post. (I’ll have the idea much more organized than you see above.)

EDIT: I personally don’t like the transition into a completely empty realm that isn’t even open in Nexus yet.

so didnt bother reading the comments, but great idea, reminds me of the epic dungeons.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.