The "Weak" effect (and other negative effects) on monsters

So I was thinking a while back, “What would happen if the Weak effect was used on monsters?”.

A lot of other negative effects (e.g. Blind, Quiet, Darkness, Confused…) aren’t really applicable to monsters.
Pour exemple, you can’t apply Pet Stasis to a monster because they don’t have a pet; nor can you apply Blind because the AI doesn’t use a visual interface to aim.
However, Daze is actually capable of doing something against monsters; it halves the amount of shots they fire (rounded downwards!), which is comparable to a semi-stun. (See the article on the Quiver of Thunder for some more info on the subject).

Back to the main topic: What would happen if you gave an ability the ability to Weaken enemies?
Would it effectively half the base damage of their shots?
Would such an ability be too powerful?

Last question: What about other negative effects? Sick? Unstable? Would Confused be applicable?

[Side note: If this thread/topic is too far away from its current category, please do notify me and tell me what category it should be moved to. Thank you for reading.]

Mod note: Game Discussion is the prefect place for this. Thanks! -Doc

[Spoilers] April Fool's Update + some more

Due to Mheal it would be to powerful also poor *

Yes, because it was coded that way for monsters (probably because just making it decrease fire rate like the player version of Daze would only make their pattern harder to predict and dodge).

Nothing, since enemies don’t have an Attack stat.

Sure, if you code it that way.

Depends how you implement it. Do you want to add it to already existing items, or do you have item ideas in mind?

Way too powerful, completely destroys boss fights with healing phases.

Would actually make enemies far more dangerous by making their pattern completely unpredictable (and potentially impossible to dodge).

No, since monsters move on their own and don’t require inputs on a keyboard. If you made a monster version of Confuse, it would most likely have the same effect as with Unstable and only make them more dangerous because less predictable.

I think the confuse status effect could cause the monster to run away from the player instead of chasing them. Obviously monsters that don’t chase would be immune to this effect. I’d like to see that in the game, gods running away from my “all-powerful” character.

Sounds more like a Fear status effect, and I don’t think it’d be a good addition to the game.

On the one hand, it would not be very practical because you don’t want enemies going away from you, you want them to come to you and eat your bullets (except for extremely rare cases like Davy Jones becoming invulnerable and running at you with a Bleeding shotgun).

On the other hand, it could be used for trolling pretty much everywhere. It’d be like dragging, except a lot easier to set up and a lot less predictable.

Eh, I kinda view it as the mystic’s stasis. It shouldn’t be disregarded as an idea because it can be used to troll. Mystic already is labeled as the troll class tbh, but really this effect would allow for a fail-safe similar to the stasis, stun, cloak, teleport, etc. I’d like to see that effect on a class that doesn’t have a fail-safe too.

I can honestly use the same argument with the mystic’s orb.

When enemies are stunned they exhibit confuse-like movement where they wander around a little bit. It does not match the player version of stunned, but is quite appropriate behaviour for stunned monsters IMO.

The Orb is annoying because it makes killing enemies and loot chests slower. Your idea is deadly and will kill an immense number of players. Apples and oranges.

Are you sure it’s not the sudden absence of projectiles on-screen making it easier for you to see the enemy’s normal movement pattern?

If you can get a good Mystic, curse speeds the whole thing up, ofc.

Yeah it’s possible that it’s just the normal movement looking weird due to no shots, but, IDK, I always felt they did little wobbly steps during the stunned time instead of their normal confident movement.

Indeed, I was only talking about the Orb as used when trolling, since that’s what Jawsjakt was talking about.

Maybe it’s just your imagination, but it does sound pretty funny. Would be even better if they had birds or stars circling their heads like in a cartoon for children. X)

I’ll post here despite the fact that this thread is a whopping 2+ years old. Like dang, I had already quit the game by that time I think xP

Anyways, the new Server Heart item has granted us the ability to weaken enemies for the first time. After a little testing, weak actually reduces enemy damage by exactly 10% of their full damage. Sprite gods were dealing 51 dmg compared to 61 when weakened, which is a 10 dmg reduction, aka 10% of their 100 dmg bullets. I also tested it on a few other enemies such as the Avatar and a few other gods to see if it’s consistent, and it is.

It isn’t very strong, especially since it comes from a somewhat rare consumable item. But because it isn’t very strong, perhaps certain abilities in the future may inflict weak on enemies and it would still be balanced since it is just a 10% dmg reduction