Tutorial Revamp

Janus disappears and the portal to the Court of Oryx appears.

ok nvm im crazy

Pet Yard Glitch

I’m pretty sure he refered that very well put argument to your use of the word “legitimately”.

You can reach 199% legitimately. I can’t read minds, if you both ain’t explaining.

I would say that hitting tutorial turrets for accuracy bonuses is not a legitimate way to do it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve done it too. But I don’t think it should be possible.

I think you and @Werbenja just have different concepts of legitimacy.

It’s the fine line between a bug and feature; in a sense, accuracy farming is legitimate in that you can do it within the bounds of the game, yet it’s not ethically legitimate.

But ultimately it’s self-defined. Would you consider x-walking to be legitimate or not?

I can’t believe no one is noticing this. does that number look weird to you?
I have no issues getting 99% legitimately, but 199% seems suspicious.

Piercing shots + two tutorial turrets.
Assume you have just created a new archer, have 0 shots at total and have a t0 bow. You shoot one arrow that goes through both turrets, and get 200% accuracy.

You guys know the shoot through walls hack, right? Using that, it’s possible to get 399% on wand classes because of the range and because you can shoot 4 turrets at once. It’s not like cheat client users are smart enough to realize that, though.

It has both meanings in this case, of course.

Not suspicious at all.

fine, the games more messed up than I thought. you guys win.

Ooooooh, that’s what you meant. I thought that, by saying

,you meant that shooting tutorial turrets for fame bonuses is the worst thing ever and that it should be removed as soon as possible.

Sorry for speaking in your behalf.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

OMG BUMP!!
@UnicornSla

like the tutorial update, still some stuff missing but at least DECA knows it needs work now

yep. At least they actually got the tutorial updated, but maybe they could explain a bit more to each stuff??? And I have no idea why kablam decided to nerf the tutorial, the ws one was perfectly fine.

What’s wrong with accuracy farming on turrets
?

Well, let’s just think about that logically for a second.

The accuracy bonuses (accurate, sharpshooter and sniper) were meant to reward players who aimed well, and thereby supposed rewarding those with “more skill”.

If you can simply exploit this, it completely defeats the purpose of the bonus. Players who weren’t accurate at all get the accuracy bonuses because of this broken exploit.

Hmm, a bonus for accuracy that rewards
 accurate players? Instead of players who sit around with auto-fire on?! Who would’ve thought!!!

Alright, a few thoughts from me five-months later.

###What Deca has done

From what I’ve seen, they’ve only changed the Tutorial and not the Nexus Tutorial. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m going to start listing things as they appear in order.

Emphasis on permadeath

Awesome stuff, the red tiles are, I’ll admit, a bit intimidating. I thought in Floflorian’s video that he was going to die when he stepped on the red lol. But it does make a point, and I think it’s made pretty clear to the player that this game is permadeath.

Nexusing

I first played this game over four years ago and I still remember the day I discovered Nexus. Not only was it ground-breaking - I was also fairly annoyed that I hadn’t found out about this unholy tool earlier and would’ve prevented multiple deaths. Only other thing would maybe add a two word description to the Nexus (a safe spot), but I guess the Nexus Tutorial explains that. Overall happy with how they implemented this.

Introduction to pets

While I like the cute little pen in the middle, I feel like there needs to be some interactive element to make it truly significant. The game makes it clear that pets are (a) permanent, (b) are your cute little friends, and © can be leveled but they don’t teach your the 5 W’s for nothing. I would have much preferred for Deca to fix the Nexus Tutorial (it is still not reflective of the current Nexus) and add an explanatory Pet Yard for a more detailed tutorial but something like “Pets are found by hatching eggs, which can be obtained from killing enemies”.

Introduction to fame

Nice and clear, but the order of the text seems to be swapped.

1. You can spend fame and items to level your pet.

2. You earn fame by dying

It’s kind of funny, because other than pets, you can’t really do much with fame (I know, I know, guilds). And the game somewhat confirms that with the “You can earn fame by dying! Aaaaand that’s about it.”

Off-centered and rotation

Cleverly designed text on the left and right, which requires a combination of rotation and off-centered to see it. No complaints.

Introduction to options

One of the things that make RotMG appealing is simplicity. It’s awesome how you can jump straight in without doing anything, but introducing the options is nice. Other games are harder to pick-up because you have to go through a bunch of confusing options, but I think it’s fine in this case. Even thought the option menu has expanded quite a bit from it’s origin.

What do I still want to see?

• Tutorial Portal (for new players who want a review of basic game mechanics). Ironically it is experienced players that know the command /tutorial.

• /help. Just a line of text telling players about the help menu.

• Update the vault in Nexus Tutorial. Also match the Nexus Tutorial Nexus with the ‘real’ Nexus.

• Show what stats are. Maybe even provide a free stat-pot that increases the player’s health only within the Tutorial.

• Ways to address teleporting, trading, player menus (ignore, whisper, locking etc.), chatting.

In addition to good suggestions above^, I’d like to see in the 2nd tutorial stage, the phase with the nexus, a “How To Ignore” - not just for the botmageddon that inhabits every nexus, but for players to know they can ignore the griefier flesh&blood players too.

(Also, on tutorial turrets, these should stay in the game as removing them would only harm players who don’t use autoaimer hackclient. If hackclient became the only way to inflate one’s accuracy that would be a misstep.)

Arachnas Web should still work